***Very Fast Intro to Shareable Vram (Nvidia)*** (VFISVN)

Very fast guide to increase your "virtual graphic card memory"

I didn't found any topic about it, so i created one. 

I'm very sorry for the Finnish text in pictures.

(Disclamer! Your mileage may very!)

Specs used in this test: 

2TB harddrive+Toshiba 120GB OCZ TL150+Samsung 850 240Gb and 
MSI GeForce GTX 960 Gaming OC (2GB)

Ok let's get started!

• 1.Firstly, press windows key on your keyboard, then click on the "File" icon

58d8199a5d005_Nyttkuva(21).png.7940382759efb2f6ddee471fa19449ad.png

• 2. Next, go to top corner of the page and click "computer", and then to "properties"

58d8199aeeb1a_Nyttkuva(22).png.d8f4255550572b741029698f30e429c5.png

• 3.Go to Administrator settings and then "properties" after that :settings (the middle one)

58d8199b92f50_Nyttkuva(23).png.a6099e8c176b3d9a3f689d4351966321.pngNäyttökuva (24).png58d8199c83aa3_Nyttkuva(25).png.ce01e1485337e0b4dc2d77a4996cb118.png

• 4. Ok, two final steps! Tick off the option in the left upper corner. After that one may choose where the extra virtual memory is simulated from. Then oneself can configure how much memory oneself may use! After all press "OK"

58d8199cc1f24_Nyttkuva(26).png.e035fa45db590d1fcb4b9d9ffec16246.png58d8199d0ea96_Nyttkuva(27).png.df8b0d048a1abe376731f2bf6018302b.png

• 5. Restart you pc, to see effect. 

=Profit!

58d8149bf3b8b_Nyttkuva(5).png.855b0622e2e471f61d9521b303629666.png

If any problem just ask me!

source: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/15055/windows-7-optimize-windows-better-performance# (windows 7)

Umm, i don't see how this can be useful?

As soon as a graphics card runs out of Vram and starts swapping the fps goes to single digits and becomes useless.

There are better options on the way like the AMD SSG. https://www.amd.com/Documents/Radeon-Pro-SSG-Technical-Brief.pdf

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

Isnt this just increasing page file size?

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

This is only for page files. This doesn't do what you think it does. 

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Changing the size of the page file won't help you at all unless you are getting an "insufficient virtual memory" error message.

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

This is only for page files. This doesn't do what you think it does. 

1 minute ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

Changing the size of the page file won't help you at all unless you are getting an "insufficient virtual memory" error message.

i was confused why you'd go into windows settings stuff to change the amount of system ram nvidia taps into :P

also, isnt overflowing into system ram pretty much automagicly allocated?

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

i was confused why you'd go into windows settings stuff to change the amount of system ram nvidia taps into :P

For no reason. 

It is, but setting it to an NVMe or SSD is preferred for latency reasons.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

It is, although Windows isn't always too smart about it: I've seen computers run out of virtual memory in full auto with plenty disk space, or even with manual min and max values, even though the allocated page file was way below the max value 9_9

Not a problem the average user will face, though.

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

For no reason. 

It is, but setting it to an NVMe or SSD is preferred for latency reasons.

It is, although Windows isn't always too smart about it: I've seen computers run out of virtual memory in full auto with plenty disk space, or even with manual min and max values, even though the allocated page file was way below the max value 9_9

Not a problem the average user will face, though.

i was talking about VRAM overflowing into system ram.

To my knowledge this has little to nothing to do with Video RAM. It has to do with Motherboard RAM. Some old style applications utilize virtual memory a type of swamp memory that is store on the hard disk (Or SSD by today's standards). I don't know why these old applications ever used such a thing but they did. More modern applications use mostly or solely physical memory which made/makes virtual memory obsolete but some applications can still use it.

I have completely disabled my paging files. I don't want applications using much slower swamp files if they don't need to and none of my applications have malfunctioned because of it.

To sumarize. Paging files do little to nothing to improve gaming. They are sometimes used when a system doesn't have enough physical RAM for its tasks. However with the huge advances in RAM density paging files are no longer a necessity why it's still even an option I have no idea.

Oh, that's even one step before virtual memory :P 

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

I don't know why these old applications ever used such a thing but they did. More modern applications use mostly or solely physical memory which made/makes virtual memory obsolete but some applications can still use it.

Actually, it isn't application-dependent, but OS-dependent. And every OS I know of uses it.

I have completely disabled my paging files. I don't want applications using much slower swamp files if they don't need to and none of my applications have malfunctioned because of it.

You may do that, and most of the times you won't notice a big difference in everyday usage with large RAM quantities. But when using memory-intensive applications, you may hit a Windows error message despite physical memory being at less than 100%...

However with the huge advances in RAM density paging files are no longer a necessity why it's still even an option I have no idea.

With the way Windows manages memory, i wouldn't call it exactly "an option". You can get away with not having it; whether it translates into any performance gain is to be seen...

Actually, it isn't application-dependent, but OS-dependent. And every OS I know of uses it.

So it's the OS itself which wants to utilize it. I'm wondering why the programmers decided to do such a thing. I've been told it was a method of keeping the system from freezing or crashing when physical memory is low but nowadays it just seems to use up unnecessary space on your boot drive.

5 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You may do that, and most of the times you won't notice a big difference in everyday usage with large RAM quantities. But when using memory-intensive applications, you may hit a Windows error message despite physical memory being at less than 100%...

Jeeze, I have 64GB of RAM in my workstation I'd hate for windows to tell me I don't have enough RAM when it's not even using all of it. What I really don't like about Paging Files is that on a Default installation the OS matches physical RAM at a 1:1 ratio. Meaning for every MB of physical RAM the OS is going to create a virtual block of usable memory equal to that. So me having 65,536MB of RAM. That takes quite a chunk out of my usable disk space. Even worse so on my dual xeon server with 128GB.

10 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

With the way Windows manages memory, i wouldn't call it exactly "an option". You can get away with not having it; whether it translates into any performance gain is to be seen...

A long time ago running a mechanical 5400RPM HDD, Windows 7 x64, 8GB physical RAM, and a AMD phenom II B55 quad core processor I can say it did give my OS a noticeable kick in how long it took applications to load. To be honest I can't say it makes a noticeable difference with the hardware I have now but I can't have it using 65.5GB of my SSD. Same goes for the server except 128GB(131,072MB).

30 minutes ago, manikyath said:

It only seems to do so for games that cycle through areas (cells) like MMORPGS, adventure, or open-world games. Most games will just ask the disk for the data that is needed.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

1 hour ago, ARikozuM said:

It only seems to do so for games that cycle through areas (cells) like MMORPGS, adventure, or open-world games. Most games will just ask the disk for the data that is needed.

i've actually never ran into a case where overflowing would make any damn sense either way.

as i used to say it when the whole 3.5GB mess was a thing: "the core craps out first anways."

49 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i've actually never ran into a case where overflowing would make any damn sense either way.

as i used to say it when the whole 3.5GB mess was a thing: "the core craps out first anways."

I used to tel people the core crapped out before it could make use of more that 3.5 but no one believed me lol

AMD (and proud) r7 1700 4ghz- 

also (1600) 

asus rog crosshairs vi hero x370-

MSI 980ti G6 1506mhz slix2 -

h110 pull - acer xb270hu 1440p -

corsair 750D - corsair 16gb 2933

33 minutes ago, jjohnthedon1 said:

I used to tel people the core crapped out before it could make use of more that 3.5 but no one believed me lol

i've tested it with a ton of actually sensible scenarios, and its usually the same group of people that yammer that 30fps is unplayable, that use a scenario where the core barely manages 30fps to show that it's not enough :P