Sound dampening

Pandora

So im designing a flat for myself and my partner and i want to make the bed rooms and the computer room as acoustically isolated as possible.

i do not know much about this topic but i have done some research.

currently space is a concern but price is not. so please no 7+ inch protrusions from the wall. (although furry walls dont let me down.)

i was looking at https://www.atsacoustics.com/foam-wedge-acoustic-panels.html although i think they are more for echo reduction and dampening for that kind of thing then isolation.

another idea was taking insulation and covering it in cloth to dampen sound. (similar to what linus has done in his server room) although im worried that will cause the flat to reach 300+ degrees in the summer and would cause dust and protrude too far. 

any ideas and suggestions would be very helpful.

Edit: also the insulation covered in cloth would look like crap.

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

3 minutes ago, thorbrantly101 said:

Edit: also the insulation covered in cloth would look like crap.

(similar to what linus has done in his server room)

75% of what I say is sarcastic

So is the rest probably

i'd suggest looking into the kind of insulation linus used for their server room, because that's the stuff meant to do what you're wanting to do. the cone.pyramid/eggshell stuff is meant to reduce echo within a room, rather than actually "insulating" it from sound going in or out.

if you're worried about looks in that regard, you could also ask a local home improvement store if they have something that'd suit your needs. mine, for example, has "all-in-one" panels with insulation and a "decorative front" that are just bolt down and go.

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

i'd suggest looking into the kind of insulation linus used for their server room, because that's the stuff meant to do what you're wanting to do. the cone.pyramid/eggshell stuff is meant to reduce echo within a room, rather than actually "insulating" it from sound going in or out.

if you're worried about looks in that regard, you could also ask a local home improvement store if they have something that'd suit your needs. mine, for example, has "all-in-one" panels with insulation and a "decorative front" that are just bolt down and go.

thats kind of what i was worried about. 

i will do some research on my own about using insulation. im just so worried it will look awful or shed. 

i was looking at these http://www.acoustimac.com/dmd-321-acoustic-panels-g?gclid=CjwKEAjw5M3GBRCTvpK4osqj4X4SJAABRJNCoGbkZGt6m5ZsJ6blZx51vtLio0Dz7ySU3HIVMKc4mxoClQ_w_wcB

for an all in one solution alternative. 

CPU: I7 8700k @ 5ghz | Motherboard: Asus Z370-Prime | RAM: White Crucial balistix DDR4 2133mhz | GPU: GTX 1080TI | Storage: ssd HyperX 240gig, 2x2tb seagate Firecuda 1tb, BPX 480 gig nvme, 1tb sandisk ssd  | Cooling: Custom loop | PSU: Evga supernova 850w G2 | Case: Phanteks enthoo evolv atx black White modded | system theme: White/RGB/Weiss

41 minutes ago, thorbrantly101 said:

i will do some research on my own about using insulation. im just so worried it will look awful or shed. 

i was looking at these http://www.acoustimac.com/dmd-321-acoustic-panels-g?gclid=CjwKEAjw5M3GBRCTvpK4osqj4X4SJAABRJNCoGbkZGt6m5ZsJ6blZx51vtLio0Dz7ySU3HIVMKc4mxoClQ_w_wcB

Yes but they dont have the a brilliant noise reduction at lower frequencies. But you realize the whole room has to be covered in panels, no gaps anywhere. You also probably want to change out the door and possibly your floor as well.

On 3/23/2017 at 7:36 AM, thorbrantly101 said:

Let's be perfectly clear here and reiterate what others have said - acoustic treatment like panels, foam wedges, egg crates, etc are going to do ZERO to help with your noise isolation.

To effect proper isolation, you need an air-tight, massive, and ideally mechanically de-coupled acoustic barrier. This is the only way to block soundwaves - through absorption. Note the air-tight part - that means that you cannot have gaps in the barrier.

Some various options, ideally you want to do all of this:

• Install acoustic installation such as the Ultratouch denim insulation (what Linus used in his server room). For proper installation you'll need to rip out the existing drywall to stick it where it needs to go BETWEEN the studs. It is not supposed to be visible in the living space, because it will shed and be unsightly.
  • Replace existing drywall with a Green Glue* or mass-loaded vinyl sandwich - replacement layer of drywall on the wall studs, Green Glue or MLV, then another layer of drywall, preferably 5/8" for both. Green Glue has better performance than MLV, but either will work.
  • Rip out the drywall on the other side and mount it afresh on furring strips, Resilient Channel, or hat channels plus Green Glue clips (less expensive => more expensive) to mechanically decouple the drywall from the wall studs as much as possible. If you have the budget, do another Green Glue installation on this side as well.
    • More expensive and less space-efficient alternative: alternating wall-stud installation:
      staggeredWall-noGG.gif.dea9bcdb8b25a7947b2dcb1ff31fe70c.gif

Here is a list of test data from the Green Glue website that shows test data and diagrams for various setups like this: http://www.greengluecompany.com/test-data. Note that there are multiple pages.

Here is a resource on understanding the Sound Transmission Coefficient (STC): http://www.soundproofingcompany.com/soundproofing101/understanding-stc/. This is important in understanding what level of noise reduction various solutions will provide. It also talks about the issue of low-frequency attenuation, which STC does not account for below 125Hz. It also shows some assembly solutions.

*Green Glue is a kinetic acoustic absorber that converts the acoustic vibrations of adjacent materials into heat.

1 hour ago, thorbrantly101 said:

currently space is a concern but price is not.

Full on anechoic chamber? But in all seriousness you will not be able to completely isolate the rooms unless you sink some serious money into the project.

11 minutes ago, SSL said:

Let's be perfectly clear here and reiterate what others have said - acoustic treatment like panels, foam wedges, egg crates, etc are going to do ZERO to help with your noise isolation.

Correction, they will only work directionally, meaning that they will dampen the transmission of noise in the direction that they are positioned. This is how anechoic chambers keep sound within a room. OPs concern is noise isolation of one room from another, acoustic panels would help if they lined the wall between the two rooms. The insulation will help but the acoustic panels will make a bigger difference if you want to put up drywall (to contain the insulation so as to fall in line with fire codes).

Just now, Qwweb said:

Correction, they will only work directionally, meaning that they will dampen the transmission of noise in the direction that they are positioned. This is how anechoic chambers keep sound within a room. OPs concern is noise isolation of one room from another, acoustic panels would help if they lined the wall between the two rooms. The insulation will help but the acoustic panels will make a bigger difference if you want to put up drywall (to contain the insulation so as to fall in line with fire codes).

Acoustic panels are not optimized for blocking sound. They are too space inefficient. Yes, obviously they necessarily block some sound because they absorb it. But lining a room with acoustic panels would be quite expensive, increase fire hazard, and waste a lot square footage relative to the amount of attenuation achieved.

Acoustic chambers do not keep sound in the room solely through the use of acoustic wedged or paneling. Most have a mechanically decoupled room-within-a-room construction, plus a concrete and/or steel envelope to effect broadband attenuation including low frequencies.

Much better (if this is really a construction project) to put the insulation IN the wall and install proper sound barrier materials like MVL or Green Glue in between sheetrock layers. More effective, more cost effective, and more space efficient.

19 minutes ago, SSL said:

Much better (if this is really a construction project) to put the insulation IN the wall and install proper sound barrier materials like MVL or Green Glue in between sheetrock layers. More effective, more cost effective, and more space efficient.

I agree, but if cost is not a big concern then there are some cool options for decorative, fireproof, acoustic panels to go over the sheetrock. I will include a picture of an example below.

Related image

5 minutes ago, Qwweb said:

I agree, but if cost is not a big concern then there are some cool options for decorative, fireproof, acoustic panels to go over the sheetrock. I will include a picture of an example below.

Again, this is ore for absorption in a space than attenuation in an adjacent one. You're just not going to get the same amount of attenuation as using the empty space in between the walls. Green Glue plus another layer of sheetrock can go over the existing as well and will be more effective.

2 hours ago, Qwweb said:

Full on anechoic chamber? But in all seriousness you will not be able to completely isolate the rooms unless you sink some serious money into the project.

you are dead on. i want to isolate the computer room with all the voice coms and twitching from the bed rooms with all the sleeping and the studying. 

i have layed out the flat so a bathroom is in between the computer area and the rooms which should work pretty well on its own. 

things like lining the wall with felt, filling the wall with a specific type of insulation and using an array of acoustic panels along with special doors are the direction i am looking for.

2 hours ago, Qwweb said:

Related image

that looks amazing. and i will be filling the walls with insulation. 

26 minutes ago, thorbrantly101 said:

you are dead on. i want to isolate the computer room with all the voice coms and twitching from the bed rooms with all the sleeping and the studying. 

i have layed out the flat so a bathroom is in between the computer area and the rooms which should work pretty well on its own. 

things like lining the wall with felt, filling the wall with a specific type of insulation and using an array of acoustic panels along with special doors are the direction i am looking for.

if you dont have thin walls then youll probably be fine with a bathroom in between the two. Maybe block the door off so noise cant go through the door and down the corridor

Also take measures to block sound going through the ceiling and through the attic/crawlspace. Make sure there is adequate insulation above the rooms that you want to isolate.

Edited by SSL
Deleted a word by accident :\