Uplay Account Got Hacked

MastuhWaffles

So today was interesting. I checked my email and saw a request to change my uplay email, password and enable 2 step verification. Well I called Ubisoft and they for the most part helped me resolve it, but right after I got off the phone they tried to get back into my account. But after calling them again they had me enable my own 2 step verification and change my password and so far I've had control of my account.

It was kinda weird because all they did in my account was change my profile picture, block all my friends except they added some random dude, but I've got that all sorted out now. I'm glad I was able to get that fixed before more damage could be done. It's odd because uplay would be the least thing I would expect to be hacked, as I only play siege on it and I don't ever give out my uplay info or anything. And it seems like Ubisoft needs to ramp up their security for accounts.

2 minutes ago, MastuhWaffles said:

So today was interesting. I checked my email and saw a request to change my uplay email, password and enable 2 step verification. Well I called Ubisoft and they for the most part helped me resolve it, but right after I got off the phone they tried to get back into my account. But after calling them again they had me enable my own 2 step verification and change my password and so far I've had control of my account.

It was kinda weird because all they did in my account was change my profile picture, block all my friends except they added some random dude, but I've got that all sorted out now. I'm glad I was able to get that fixed before more damage could be done. It's odd because uplay would be the least thing I would expect to be hacked, as I only play siege on it and I don't ever give out my uplay info or anything. And it seems like Ubisoft needs to ramp up their security for accounts.

That's it

IMG_2337.JPG

Just now, ItsApiez said:

That's it

-snip-

omg they hacked a potato :( 

It doesn't sounds like uplay got hacked, it shounds like your account got hacked.

These are two different things.

If you just had a password with no 2 step verification then it probably got brute forced.

This is why you need to use a password that looks something like this 0Fr02:'d[o2pkf instead of poTaTo524

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

Just now, JohnT said:

omg they hacked a potato :( 

Sad isn't it. Potatoes are so good.

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It doesn't sounds like uplay got hacked, it shounds like your account got hacked.

These are two different things.

If you just had a password with no 2 step verification then it probably got brute forced.

This is why you need to use a password that looks something like this 0Fr02:'d[o2pkf instead of poTaTo524

Yeah its true, more of my account.

I didn't know about the 2 step verification, probably because a barely use uplay.

But it's not like my password is 123memes or something simple like that.

This is one of Lord Tachanka's many test

First comes the test of security

Next comes the test of friendship (teamkill your buddy without blocking)

Next comes the test of rage (Get spawnkilled all 3 rounds on Blue team)

Finally, the test of faith (Will you pray to Tachanka even though the hostage just got Fuzed?)

If you pass the tests, you get the Tachanka Elite Loadout

Roses are red

My name is Roy

We caught the alligator that ate the De Luca boy

1 minute ago, MastuhWaffles said:

Yeah its true, more of my account.

I didn't know about the 2 step verification, probably because a barely use uplay.

But it's not like my password is 123memes or something simple like that.

If it has an english word or name or part of your username in it, then it's easy to crack.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

UPlay cant get hacked if you don't have one

Roses are red

My name is Roy

2 minutes ago, UberGamerKing said:

UPlay cant get hacked if you don't have one

I wish I didn't have to have uplay. I could just get my ubisoft games on steam and not have to get a reach around by uplay after I've launched it through steam.

14 minutes ago, Enderman said:

It doesn't sounds like uplay got hacked, it sounds like your account got hacked.

I would not be so quick to dismiss it

lately I found it really odd that UPlay asks me for the two factor each time I open it (over couple of days), even if my public IP did not change

and my password is not "normal", it's a unique 12 digit alphanumeric

2 minutes ago, Enderman said:

If it has an english word or name or part of your username in it, then it's easy to crack.

Its also possible that he used the same password on some other site that was breached, and that is how it got "hacked".

Use a decent length (15+) password that is complex (UpperCase/LowerCase/Numbers/Symbols), random, and unique for each site.

Oh and 2FA everywhere that lets you.

Those rules alone will mean you won't be in too big a problem if site X is hacked, since site Y just has a different password.

You may also want to do a virus scan or something, since if it wasn't from a different leak, then the person must have got your password some other way.

CPU: 6700k GPU: Zotac RTX 2070 S RAM: 16GB 3200MHz  SSD: 2x1TB M.2  Case: DAN Case A4

5 minutes ago, MastuhWaffles said:

I wish I didn't have to have uplay. I could just get my ubisoft games on steam and not have to get a reach around by uplay after I've launched it through steam.

Yeah. I play R6S, and its annoying yeah, but frankly, i just got used to it

Roses are red

My name is Roy

1 minute ago, WiiManic said:

Its also possible that he used the same password on some other site that was breached, and that is how it got "hacked".

Use a decent length (15+) password that is complex (UpperCase/LowerCase/Numbers/Symbols), random, and unique for each site.

Oh and 2FA everywhere that lets you.

Those rules alone will mean you won't be in too big a problem if site X is hacked, since site Y just has a different password.

You may also want to do a virus scan or something, since if it wasn't from a different leak, then the person must have got your password some other way.

I mean its the password I use to pay for college stuff, which by all means if they want to pay for that then...

common occurence

'the cycle of cracking' 

1 - get combolists from hacked site databases

2 - get a cracking program, proxies, and profiles for the sites you want to run it on

3 - leave it for a couple hours

4 - come back, see a couple logins that worked 

5 - sell it on a hacking forum for a couple $ 

uplay is a common target due to being able to change any details on the account when you're logged in - with origin for example, you need to answer security questions

idk

Here's an updated status I just got another email saying it's trying to change my password which means they're still trying to get into my account I don't know where these people are so adamant about getting into my account when I only have Siege on there but I now have the 2 step.

• 5 months later...