Dark Rock 3 air cooler memory clearance

Go to solution Solved by dfsdfgfkjsefoiqzemnd,
52 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

im not sure if the same goes for the non pro version of the dark rock 3 but the pro version has issues with non low-profile ram

The non-pro is very likely to overhang the first DIMM slot indeed.  Depending on the motherboard, the first PCI-e slot may also be an issue.

That being said, you can always move the fan up a bit to create room.  But that's not a pretty sight. 

@ OP : To give you an idea of RAM clearance on a 40mm high cooler, here's a Pro hanging over some Kingston HyperX Savage on an MSI X99A Gaming7 board :

P2170041m.JPG

P2170045m.JPG

That's fairly low-profile RAM.  You're not going to get away with high-profile RAM, so stick with low-profile or get a cooler that has plenty of clearance. 

Hi. Should I be able to use all 4 DIMM slots of my motherboard with the dark rock 3 from be quiet? I want at least 32 GB of memory and it should be (4 x 8GB). 16GB models are not available for me at this time.

The system I am trying to build:

• Intel Core i7 7700K
  • Asus Maximus IX Code
  • Corsair VENGEANCE® LED 32GB (4 x 8GB) DDR4
  • be quiet DARK ROCK 3
  • Zotac 1080 founders edition

Thanks.

4 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

i would just get corsair vengeance lpx then you wont have any issues with clearance. 

<3 Vengeance LPX

Spoiler

My system:

CPU: i5-6600K <> Mobo: Gigabyte Z270X Ultra Gaming <> Cooling: Noctua NH-D15 <> GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 <> SSD: Intel 600p 256Gb

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX (16Gb @ 3000Mhz) <> PSU: Seasonic M12II EVO 620W <> Case: Corsair Carbide 400C <> Fans: 6x Bitfenix Spectre 

Monitor: Asus VG248QE <> Mouse: Steelseries Rival 300 <> Keyboard: Gamdias Hermes Ultimate <> Speakers: Logitech Z333

Spoiler
Spoiler
Spoiler

Ok, my cheapo Bitfenix fans are 120mm, all six of them. Are you happy now?

Spoiler

I am not actually Linus...

Spoiler

You can leave my signature now.....

12 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

i would just get corsair vengeance lpx then you wont have any issues with clearance. 

yes, but can I use LED versions instead :)

Vengeance LED looks nice

Just now, shibbir said:

Vengeance LED looks nice

You either need low profile memory or a 2x16gb kit.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

You need to use standard height or low profile. Cooler will be above RAM so LED RAM is pointless.

3 minutes ago, shibbir said:

Vengeance LED looks nice

im not sure if the same goes for the non pro version of the dark rock 3 but the pro version has issues with non low-profile ram 

The "blueprint"  shows, that anything thats more than 3,6 cm away from your socket can be as high as you want.

Getting ram thats less than 20 mm tall will never happen, so the space below the fan will never be enough. The cooler-fins start at 40mm hight, so the LED ram (49mm high) will never ever be able to fit under the fan, unless you decide to mount it at least 3 cm higher, resulting in a 19-20 cm high cooler combo.

I would go for LPX ram and invest the saved money into a dark rock pro 3 --> It should cover up most of the visual parts ;)

52 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

The non-pro is very likely to overhang the first DIMM slot indeed.  Depending on the motherboard, the first PCI-e slot may also be an issue.

That being said, you can always move the fan up a bit to create room.  But that's not a pretty sight. 

@ OP : To give you an idea of RAM clearance on a 40mm high cooler, here's a Pro hanging over some Kingston HyperX Savage on an MSI X99A Gaming7 board :

P2170041m.JPG

P2170045m.JPG

That's fairly low-profile RAM.  You're not going to get away with high-profile RAM, so stick with low-profile or get a cooler that has plenty of clearance.