When we were young

CHKR
Just now, Factory OC said:

Lucky, I wish I had a Windows 98 machine. I have all the parts compatible with Windows 98, except one thing, the CPU. The oldest CPU I have is a Pentium 4. I thought about under clocking it to 700 MHz, but never got around to trying that.

Oh, my neighbor gave me a box full of P3s and P2s. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

Oh, my neighbor gave me a box full of P3s and P2s. 

Yeah, rub it in my face:(...

Now I'm wondering, how much can you get for that. Pentium 2 and 3's are getting more and more expensive and rare.

I don't remember much, but it's interesting to see that a lot of Nintendo consoles were bitchy about inputs like RGB SCART, while most Sega consoles supported it, from the Master System all the way up to the Dreamcast.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

That's nothing, how do you think the people who heard about the first airplane flight as kids felt when they watched Neil Armstrong walk on the moon? Now THAT is true technological progress.

2 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

Yeah, rub it in my face:(...

Now I'm wondering, how much can you get for that. Pentium 2 and 3's are getting more and more expensive and rare.

I don't know. I haven't used any of them because I can't figure out the freaking jumpers to make the others work. The 400MHz CPUs run fine with no changes to the motherboard, but not the faster or slower ones. 

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

3 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I don't remember much, but it's interesting to see that a lot of Nintendo consoles were bitchy about inputs like RGB SCART, while most Sega consoles supported it, from the Master System all the way up to the Dreamcast.

Sega's consoles were amazing in their time. People forget, the Genesis/Mega Drive was released almost 2 years before the SNES. It was suppose to combat the NES.

2 hours ago, WhatComesAround said:

Ahh the good old days, anyone still remember when a man called jesus made a passage through a sea, and when he saved all the animals, good times...good times. What a guy, he was a very nice guy you see...I miss him... Not sure where he went. Ohh well, people come and go. Can anyone relate or is it just me?

Didn't Jesus walk on water tho and Moses split the sea? ...

But he was a cool bro non the less

3 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I don't know. I haven't used any of them because I can't figure out the freaking jumpers to make the others work. The 400MHz CPUs run fine with no changes to the motherboard, but not the faster or slower ones. 

At least 400MHz is a good balance for games before and after 1995.

2 hours ago, WhatComesAround said:

Ahh the good old days, anyone still remember when a man called jesus made a passage through a sea, and when he saved all the animals, good times...good times. What a guy, he was a very nice guy you see...I miss him... Not sure where he went. Ohh well, people come and go. Can anyone relate or is it just me?

correct me if I'm wrong but was it not Moses that parted the Red Sea?

There are 10 types of people in the world: those who understand binary numbers and those who don’t

bulgara, oh nono

Multipass

1 minute ago, NLD1st said:

If I'm correct, yes. 

2 minutes ago, Factory OC said:

At least 400MHz is a good balance for games before and after 1995.

It is good, but I've always wanted to get a P3 working. And I have 2 (I think) and can't use them. 

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

It is good, but I've always wanted to get a P3 working. And I have 2 (I think) and can't use them. 

It would be nice to see a Pentium 3 going. I found one here, but sadly it's a Dell board, and Dell used a special 6 pin connector...

26 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

PowerMac G5? That's pretty cool. I've always wanted one of those for no real reason other than I love the case design. 

Yeah! Its broken and dusty at the moment but im planning to resurrect it at some point and if i cant fix it build my own hackintosh inside.

MY RIG

I5 6600k

16gb Corsair vengeance 2666mhz

MSI Gaming X 1070

WD blue 2tb

samsung 850 evo 250gb

EVGA supernova G2 650w

Who remembers the Turbo button on the older desktop PCs?

It never actually increased performance. I think it was something to do with clock speeds in relation to software timing. Some applications ran at one clock speed, and other at a different speed. All selectable via the Turbo button. This was way before the GHz clock speed days... i'm thinking sub 10Mhz speeds.

zAaK1HM[1].jpg

4 minutes ago, Akima said:

It never actually increased performance. I think it was something to do with clock speeds in relation to software timing. Some applications ran at one clock speed, and other at a different speed. All selectable via the Turbo button. This was way before the GHz clock speed days... i'm thinking sub 10Mhz speeds.

Those were so cool. Sadly I never had a chance to use one. 

16 minutes ago, Akima said:

It was more so of a compatibility feature. Think more of a anti-turbo, since most people ran them at full speed. It was there for when you ran software that was dependent on processor clock speed. Which at that time a lot of legacy software was. Think of running doom at 5 times the speed.

My first actual PC was one of these bad boys, except mine had an awesome 3 CD changer 6x drive instead of a normal CD drive.

Win 95, Pentium 133 (non MMX), 16mb RAM, 1.5gb hard drive, 15" CRT. I think it had 1mb of graphics onboard too - it was so much better than anyone else I knew had at the time too. Got it for Christmas 1995 or birthday 1996. It cost £2000.00 for the computer and another £200.00-£300.00 for the HP deskjet printer (I think that was an HP 693C).

AST.jpg

20 hours ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Ahh yes, moses. I am pretty old you see, so my memory is kinda foggy. But they were both great guys. :D

20 hours ago, NLD1st said:

Ahh yes, my memory is kinda foggy, and did you know them too? Cus I don't know many people as old as me xD

20 hours ago, moderategamer said:

correct me if I'm wrong but was it not Moses that parted the Red Sea?

You are right, I am old and having trouble remembering. 

22 hours ago, Dylanc1500 said:

The days before ACPI.

-snip-

Then editing the .sys file to say different things or change the image entirely.

Ah... Good old days xD 

I remember Win 98 and then XP and so on... I have never used Vista tho... But it's not a bad thing I guess :D 

Who owned one? :) I think if I would search a bit in my parents house I would still find at least one :D Not sure if working, but I would definitely find one :D 

Pegasus_console+pad+game.jpg

Main Rig - AMD Ryzen 1800X @ 3.9 - NZXT Kraken X62 - MSI X370 SLI PLUS - G.Skill TRIDENT Z RGB 16GB 2667MHz - 2 x Gigabyte GeForce GTX1080 WindForce OC - NZXT S340 (Purple-White) - OCZ 120GB, Seagate 1TB - Corsair RM750i 80+ Gold - SAMSUNG S24D590 24", HP L1950g - Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum - Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum - Creative Cambridge Sound Works + two random Philips speakers, Logitech G430 headset - Win 10 Pro x64

Retro Gaming PC - ASUS T3

Server - HP ProLiant DL380 G6(Currently assembling it) - 2 x Intel Xeon E5520 2.26GHz 8MB Quad Core Processor

NAS - Zyxel NSA320S 2 x Seagate Constellation ES 2TB(RAID1) - QNAP TS-212 1 x 500GB

-=Logitech FanBoiiiiiiii=-

I love NZXT as well <3

Several posts in this thread make me feel old, and I was born in 1994.

Back before 2000, my family had a Pentium I machine that I would play the typical classics like Wolf3D, Doom, and Quake on. My parents didn't care about what games my brother and I played growing up (for which I am thankful).

We lost the original discs at some point though, and also no longer have our original Pentium (and later Pentium II and III) machines. Damn shame.

Current Build:

CPU: Ryzen 7 5800X3D

GPU: RTX 3080 Ti FE

RAM: 32GB G.Skill Trident Z CL16 3200 MHz

Mobo: Asus Tuf X570 Plus Wifi

CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X53

PSU: EVGA G6 Supernova 850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite

Current Laptop:

Model: Asus ROG Zephyrus G14

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900HS

GPU: RTX 3060