How do I bring my pc?

WhatComesAround

Hey everyone, so I am currently living in Malaysia, but I will be going to study in Germany in around a year. So I have spent at least a thousand dollars on my PC and I don't want it being left behind after I put so much money and work (not much, :>) into it. Has this ever happened to anyone, how much will shipping it/flying it there cost? I am willing to bring it there in my hands if airlines allow it XD.

1 minute ago, WhatComesAround said:

Hey everyone, so I am currently living in Malaysia, but I will be going to study in Germany in around a year. So I have spent at least a thousand dollars on my PC and I don't want it being left behind after I put so much money and work (not much, :>) into it. Has this ever happened to anyone, how much will shipping it/flying it there cost? I am willing to bring it there in my hands if airlines allow it XD.

hmm i wonder if you could book it another seat on the plane for it, like what people do with large musical instruments

part from that box it up really well, take out the GPU and the CPU heatsink (and the hard drive IMO) and ship it via Tracked insured courier service  

Depends if you have full ATX build. Personally I unmounted everything and stuffed the components with their anti static bag in my carry on bag and left the case at home.

Edit: You might be able to send the whole box as fragile checked baggage but I wouldn't do that. You could also send it via courier but that will cost you a pretty penny 

1 minute ago, UMxMarky94 said:

hmm i wonder if you could book it another seat on the plane for it, like what people do with large musical instruments

part from that box it up really well, take out the GPU and the CPU heatsink (and the hard drive IMO) and ship it via Tracked insured courier service  

"hmm i wonder if you could book it another seat on the plane for it, like what people do with large musical instruments" I'd look dope xD

And as for shipping, have any idea how much that would be, it can be a very rough estimate, I have never shipped anything so I really have no clue as to how much it will cost.

Just now, light-v said:

Depends if you have full ATX build. Personally I unmounted everything and stuffed the components with their anti static bag in my carry on bag and left the case at home 

what about the psu? 

Just now, light-v said:

Depends if you have full ATX build. Personally I unmounted everything and stuffed the components with their anti static bag in my carry on bag and left the case at home 

Nice I was thinking the same thing, anyway I could maybe bring the case too tho? 

Just now, WhatComesAround said:

"hmm i wonder if you could book it another seat on the plane for it, like what people do with large musical instruments" I'd look dope xD

And as for shipping, have any idea how much that would be, it can be a very rough estimate, I have never shipped anything so I really have no clue as to how much it will cost.

no idea but it won't be cheap

and if you did it by buying another ticket please please take all the photos

2 minutes ago, light-v said:

Depends if you have full ATX build. Personally I unmounted everything and stuffed the components with their anti static bag in my carry on bag and left the case at home. You might be able to send the whole box as fragile checked baggage but I wouldn't do that. You could also send it via courier but that will cost you a pretty penny 

Mine is a full ATX btw. Not sure if I'd like to send it via courier as I too think it would cost quite an amount, as for the fragile checked baggage, maybe :/

1 minute ago, UMxMarky94 said:

no idea but it won't be cheap

and if you did it by buying another ticket please please take all the photos

xD Lol, yes I would take photos if that were possible 

2 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

what about the psu? 

PSU should be easy to take, it's quite a nicely shaped, compact piece of hardware. I can imagine getting it packed nicely.

Mine is a full ATX btw. Not sure if I'd like to send it via courier as I too think it would cost quite an amount, as for the fragile checked baggage, maybe :/

Checked might be your best option an probably the cheapest. An empty case isn't that heavy :)

5 minutes ago, light-v said:

Depends if you have full ATX build. Personally I unmounted everything and stuffed the components with their anti static bag in my carry on bag and left the case at home. You might be able to send the whole box as fragile checked baggage but I wouldn't do that. You could also send it via courier but that will cost you a pretty penny 

Do you think I could take some components on board via personal item (a bag)? I'm just wondering if I would be in some trouble for bringing along something that looks like it's some weird bomb or something (you know people these days, a clock = bomb)

PSU should be easy to take, it's quite a nicely shaped, compact piece of hardware. I can imagine getting it packed nicely.

I was more referring to them saying they put all their components in their carry on bag. Idk how big normal carry ons are but putting a psu in one seems like a tough fit. 

Do you think I could take some components on board via personal item (a bag)? I'm just wondering if I would be in some trouble for bringing along something that looks like it's some weird bomb or something (you know people these days, a clock = bomb)

Tbh this was my first thought too. I mean idk if they will be to happy about a bunch of random electronic components go through security. 

Depends on the airport, I travel lot to Hong Kong and it's fine, maybe you should put your PSU in your checked as well since it's a rather complicated component for the TSA

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

Tbh this was my first thought too. I mean idk if they will be to happy about a bunch of random electronic components go through security. 

Exactly, and I mean I can understand, they don't want to take chances.

8 minutes ago, WhatComesAround said:

I'd look dope xD

and would probably be cheaper than paying for a fragile shipment...

Exactly, and I mean I can understand, they don't want to take chances.

You would probably want to double check something like that before you try going through security with those things. 

You can pack it using some expensive ass computer shipping material, that you put inside your case.

Then put it in your luggage. Then pad it with more foam.

Just now, light-v said:

Depends on the airport, I travel lot to Hong Kong and it's fine, maybe you should put your PSU in your checked as well since it's a rather complicated component for the TSA

True, the psu will look the weirdest to people. GPU, CPU, Ram, HDD, most people will probably figure they are parts of a computer. But the PSU kinda stands out, I can tell you this because my mom was like, the fuck is that when she saw me playing around with psu's.

Just now, Brooksie359 said:

You would probably want to double check something like that before you try going through security with those things. 

Well I just found this: http://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_results.aspx?search=computer parts

But if you look at the last line:  The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

That kinda basically says, "Chances are you will get it on board, but you may be stopped, questioned, and maybe even told that that part is not allowed"

2 minutes ago, WhatComesAround said:

True, the psu will look the weirdest to people. GPU, CPU, Ram, HDD, most people will probably figure they are parts of a computer. But the PSU kinda stands out, I can tell you this because my mom was like, the fuck is that when she saw me playing around with psu's.

it's a metal box with cables coming out, must be dangerous.

Well I just found this: http://apps.tsa.dhs.gov/mytsa/cib_results.aspx?search=computer parts

But if you look at the last line:  The final decision rests with TSA on whether to allow any items on the plane.

That kinda basically says, "Chances are you will get it on board, but you may be stopped, questioned, and maybe even told that that part is not allowed"

that's US tho, regulations are different if you're not going trough the states.

3 minutes ago, Xenift said:

You can pack it using some expensive ass computer shipping material, that you put inside your case.

Then put it in your luggage. Then pad it with more foam.

Was thinking of that kind, but I was think more along the lines of placing my case inside a hard shelled bag then stuffing it with small things, maybe even clothes. Then take the components separately on board.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

that's US tho, regulations are different if you're not going trough the states.

True, but if PC parts pass in the US they'll probably pass in most other countries. From my experience TSA in the US is on a whole new level.