Planetside 2's first performance update.

kuddlesworth9419

Me and many others who play Planetside 2 have been waiting more than a month to get the first performance update but the wait is now over. The patch is now available to download through the launcher and you can play PS2 in silky smooth glory finally. There are going to be more performance updates in the future to do with particle effects and the such as they have been disabled until a later date. I do hope the performance has been increased dramatically. Patch notes will be in the post and the link below.

General:

Refactored game rendering to better utilize multiple CPU cores. The same has been done for UI rendering.
Optimized the CPU cost of some purely aesthetic physics objects
Added adaptive complexity levels for physics simulations based on current client performance
Disabled redundant physics processing between remotely-simulated vehicles
Improved simulations between complex compound shapes, primarily vehicles
Sound emitter optimization
Numerous optimizations have been done to remote character processing to reduce the cost of per-player processing.
We found that players getting in and out of vehicles was causing some performance issues. This has been addressed and is working as expected, now.
Audio asset clean-up
Added a frame rate smoothing option. (This is on by default and trust us, you probably want this. It will make your frame rate smoother and reduce spikes. Your FPS counter will show as lower overall, but that’s not a bad thing.)
Adjusted the default graphics settings. (If you push Reset to Default, it will set the graphics settings appropriate for your system.)

FX:
Vehicle debris pieces updated
All bullet impacts optimized

Animation:

Implemented new scatterblend node to provide more fluid third person movement and a performance improvement
Reorganized the networks to eliminate redundancies and reduce the overall network size
Created level of detail version of the third person network. This allows code to switch to less expensive version of the network based on how far away the player is from the camera. This provided our largest performance improvement at approximately a 50% improvement for network processor time.
Consolidated the number of active nodes and pass downs in the network. This simplified the network and insured that costly additive nodes were only active when they were necessary.
Removed state machines that could be replaced with blend trees. Blend trees are more efficient than state machines.

Art:

Optimization pass on First Person arms
Improved usage of textures on various vehicles
Optimization pass on Ace Tool and Ammo Pack

Memory:

Fixed several client crashes (We’re not done with these and should have more coming soon.)
Fixed a few client memory leaks (Not done here either. Still investigating some memory optimizations to help with crashes related to memory.)

UI:

Overhead indicator system overhauled for performance
The HUD, Centralized HUD, as well as the health and shield bars have been redesigned with a new look to increase performance
Fixed Scaleform garbage collection spikes
Optimizing UI advance processing
Faster communication between AS3 and C++/LUA
Faster subsequent map load times
Faster retrieval of localized strings
Platoon UI optimizations and polish
Player kill notification revamp
Kill spam notification revamp
Fixed various existing and potential memory leaks
UI HUD Updates:

Minimap optimizations: more logic in C++ e.g. alpha updates such as fading and blinking instead of AS3 tweening, throttling via time slicing, recon indicator updates, recon motion dart detects enemies properly on the minimap, fixed AMS exclusion radius not appearing properly, increased default zoom level
Compass optimizations: controlled directly from C++
Weapon info optimizations ( bullet count, reload warning, blinking etc )
Vitals optimizations and revamp ( health, shield, etc )
Facility info / squad list will show when minimap is expanded if screen height >= 1080
Fixed issue with sunderers not showing ‘gives ammo’ or ‘gives repair’ icon within 100m
Now show the HUD facility indicator when you are inside a region but outside of the facility radius
Fixed issues with HUD indicators blinking in when they first initialize
Optimized Indar:

Reduced ecosystem masks
Reduced polycount on most environment objects
Reduced occlusion calculations from most environment objects
Reduced texture usage on some environment objects
Removed redundant objects, replaced with visually similar ones
Adjusted LOD distances

Non Performance

Highlights:

No more double loading screens
Changed recommended server calculation to improve faction balance
AI turret should no longer shoot itself
AV turrets and their projectiles should no longer disappear in large fights
Numerous client focus and cursor fixes such as preventing windows from appearing above the client in full screen windowed mode and the Windows cursor appearing on loading
We’ve disabled GPU particles until further notice. (Due to some our optimizations, GPU particles don’t work quite right and we need to spend some time to fix them up.)

General:

All spawn timers are now the same at 15 seconds. Previously the spawn timers would scale based on location or type from 14-18 seconds, with the majority of spawns being at 18 seconds.
Squad deploy will no longer drop pod players into the center of a bases. It will instead spawn the player at the closest hard spawn point to the squad leader, which includes facility spawn points, deployed Sunderers, and squad spawn beacons
The Infiltrator’s recon dart will now send found enemies to the minimap of all allies in a 150m radius. Previously this tool had a range limit of 50 meters
Increased the drop speed of drop pods. They now accelerate as they approach the ground. Collision damage multiplier reduced to account for the higher pod velocity.
Reduced the horizontal movement speed of drop pods so they land closer to their origin points
Improved look of bullet hit impacts in low settings
Fix to sending tells across servers
Improved particle effects on vehicle deaths for TR and NC

World:

Amerish sky settings have been shifted 12 hours. If you don’t like the onset of evenings on Indar or Esamir, Amerish has bright sunny skies waiting for you
Indar lighting slightly darkend at dawn and dusk
Some outposts on Indar received minor gameplay adjustments.
Zurvan Amp Station has had its secondary spawn room removed and now resembles the other amp stations
Dahaka Amp Station now has gate shield generators
Indar Lattice Additions:

The Crown <-> Crossroads Watchtower
Vanu Archives <-> NS Secure Data Lab
Quartz Ridge Camp <-> Indar Comm Array
Ceres Hydroponics <-> Galaxy Solar Plant
Crimson Bluff Tower <-> NS Material Storage
Benson Construction <-> Alkali Shipping

UI:

We've renamed the Indar Warpgates to geographical names. So you will now see the "Indar Northern Warpgate" instead of the "Indar TR Warpgate"
The squad list now has icons for players inside MANA turrets or Drop Pods
The Flash and Harasser mini-map icons have been made more distinct from each other
Enemy vehicles will no longer show an occupancy count

Bug Fixes:

Fixed shotgun pellet count tooltip. Instead of saying, "The amount or pellets each time the shotgun fires" the tooltip now says, "Single-shot Pellet Count / Pellet Spread"
Added 1x sight for VS Eridani SX5G
Fixed an issue where Resupply and Repair Sunderer icons would not display when within 100 meters of the vehicle
Fixed an issue where The Smoke Screen Utility tooltip on the loadout menu has a different duration value than the cert rank for Sunderers
Fixed gravity lifts in the Frostbite Harbor spawn rooms to function correctly
The AV turrets at West Highlands Checkpoint should no longer be floating
Fixed floating turrets at West Highlands Checkpoint and The Stronghold
Removed erroneous painfields around Indar
Fixed an issue where the two projectiles would sometimes be visible when firing the Recon Detect Device when only one was fired
Fixed issue where lower ranks of Sunderer Proximity Repair could not repair Sunderers that had a higher rank equipped.
Depot Bundles and store items have had a pass to ensure correct faction usage is written in their descriptions
Fixed cases where the player’s corpse wasn’t removed from the world after declining a revive
Regions that cannot be captured will no longer show up as reinforcements or instant action spawn points
Removed the visibility cap on rockets and placed explosives. They should always show in heavy battles now
Players can no longer use the quick action menu to track enemy players
Fixed the player standing from crouch in third person when shot while holding certain items
Fixed the Striker not animating in first person after firing
Glass added to cockpit of Mosquito

http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/pu01-patch-notes-11-12.157453/

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

I haven't been in Planetside 2 in forever. I might have to come back once all the performance updates are done. :D

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I might have to install PS2 again. 

AMD Ryzen 5900x, Nvidia RTX 3080 (MSI Gaming X-trio), ASrock X570 Extreme4, 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB @ 3200mhz CL16, Corsair MP600 1TB, Intel 660P 1TB, Corsair HX1000, Corsair 680x, Corsair H100i Platinum

This looks really good^^ It's been really smooth for me so far though.

I haven't been in Planetside 2 in forever. I might have to come back once all the performance updates are done. :D

Add CptHopeless on Connery if you start playing again :P.

edit: It's a vanu character. Just thought i'd add that

====>The car thread<====>Dark Souls thread<====>Placeholder<====
"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

Im Rebel scum so if anyone wants to join me in-game I am with the New Conglomerate. kuddlesworth55 is my in-game name. The k is not capital. I'm on Miller server.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

Maybe it'll actually be playable on fx cpus

Im Rebel scum so if anyone wants to join me in-game I am with the New Conglomerate. kuddlesworth55 is my in-game name. The k is not capital.

server?

"Life is like a raging river, Its gonna get rough downstream. And people's gonna piss in it" 

"Who discovered we could get milk from cows, and what did he THINK he was doing at the time?"

server?

Sorry it's Miller.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Hopefully. It would mean more people can play on it. I have an i7 myself but even with that the game before ran terribly. I just hope this update is something that goes down in history as a turning point in the way that devs release a game. From now on I hope that they properly optimize a game before hand or at least SOE will optimize the game before it is released unlike PS2 was from the start.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Woot!

Work Station:: Cooler Master Storm Trooper // i7-3930K @ 3.9 GHz // Asus Sabertooth X79 // Corsair Vengeance 16GB (4X4GB) 1600 MHz // Cooler Master 1200W Gold // Xonar Essence STX // Radeon HD 6970 // Avermedia HD Live Gamer Pro

Gaming Rig:: Cooler Master Scout // i7-2700k @ 4.0GHz // MSI Z68 // G-Skill Ripjaw 16GB (4X4EB) 1066MHz // Antec 750W Bronze // Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi HD // EVGA GTX 670

Sorry it's Miller.

awesome :D  i've got a lvl 12 NC character on miller

I'm excited. Too bad my server is still down.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Lol cod ghosts. Dual titans = 40fps

Lol cod ghosts. Dual titans = 40fps

Yes well lets all just forget that any of the Call of Duty games exist. Except for number 2 that one was actually really good. The rest though are just terrible. Not very good games in my opinion but I never liked that genre. Now Planetside 2 is a different story, in my opinion by far the best First Person shooter out there at the moment. If only Battlefield was like Planetside 2 because then we would have a game of the century on our hands. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

Refactored game rendering to better utilize multiple CPU cores. The same has been done for UI rendering.

Finally!

Hopefully on Phenom Too. basically AMD in general.

Naaw.. i wanted to check it out now that the patch was done.. "server unavailable".. Guess i'll have to be patient -_-

Great that the update finally came, but reading through that changelog you can't help feeling that this is mostly stuff that should have been prioritized before releasing the game.

Anyway i'm glad they finally got around to it.

This game was never a thing for me, but I might install it again to give it another go. As for CoD Ghosts, only one thing to say: lol fail.

What's the best server guys?? I'm on matters on but it's been so empty lately..... Waterson didn't seem much better.

"If a Lobster is a fish because it moves by jumping, then a kangaroo is a bird" - Admiral Paulo de Castro Moreira da Silva

"There is nothing more difficult than fixing something that isn't all the way broken yet." - Author Unknown

Spoiler

Intel Core i7-3960X @ 4.6 GHz - Asus P9X79WS/IPMI - 12GB DDR3-1600 quad-channel - EVGA GTX 1080ti SC - Fractal Design Define R5 - 500GB Crucial MX200 - NH-D15 - Logitech G710+ - Mionix Naos 7000 - Sennheiser PC350 w/Topping VX-1

Did a test run. a steady 60-70fps (can drop to 50 in combat)... so pretty much unchanged. But it feels smoother and things load a bit faster.

I might have to install PS2 again.

lol same. I'm thinking about it.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

Did a test run. a steady 60-70fps (can drop to 50 in combat)... so pretty much unchanged. But it feels smoother and things load a bit faster.

You crazy man. My game runs so much better know. I have maxed all the settings and have 6Km render distance. I'm getting about 15-20 fps higher than I did before and in big battles I'm never going below 40 fps. Before the patch I was going into the 20's at times and that was with mid-low settings enabled and a very low render distance. Perhaps you just need more GPU horsepower. It's forcing my 680 to 70% at the most. My CPU is still the bottleneck but that will probably be different for others. I have an i7 2600 non K.

(\__/)

(='.'=)