m.2 wifi adapter in PCIe 3.0 slot adapter card

Platypus_90
Go to solution Solved by ashypanda,

it'll work, as most full size PCI-E wireless cards are just mini PCI-E or M.2 cards on an adaptor, with a tin can over them.

Hi,

so i was wondering: i would like to use an Intel m.2 wifi card for my pc, in part so can get rid of my USB adapter. I dont have on my mobo, but empty PCIe slots.

Can i use an adapter like the ones used to put an m.2 SSD in? And how would i best solve the antenna issue?

I'd be grateful for ideas.

The PCIe wifi adapters i had (TP-Link and ASUS) all sucked big time. There have been no new ones for years, as far as I can tell. The AC ones are also expensive as hell.

it'll work, as most full size PCI-E wireless cards are just mini PCI-E or M.2 cards on an adaptor, with a tin can over them.

Intel i5-6600K@4.2GHz, 16GB Crucial DDR4-2133, Gigabyte Z170X-UD3, Be quiet shadow rock slim, Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ OC, Fractal design Integra M 550W, NZXT S340, Sandisk X110 128GB, WD black 750GB, Seagate momentus 160GB, HGST 160GB

Another alternative would be getting a powerline for your setup, you will use the RJ 45 connector at the back instead of an USB port but that will require a properly built electrical grid.

Also not to mention that powerlines can be as low as 20-30USD.

Thanks for the advice!  So now I only need to figure out my antenna setup.