Upgraded from harddrive to ssd now neither work!

JVBeast

I had a harddrive that was starting to go out so I bought a Crucial SSD. Crucial had me use Acronis to clone all the files from my hard drive to my ssd. Everything went well and after it finished and shutdown i went into my bios and and switched my boot priority to the ssd. Windows boots up until it gets to the blue screen with the clock (and Internet symbol in bottom right) then it just flashes and freaks out. I let it do it's thing but it didn't go anywhere so I shut the computer down and went to my bios and had my harddrive boot up. Then it just gets stuck on a black loading screen forever. 

I have tried unplugging both drives just and just booting the bios.

Tried unplugging the hard drive.

Tried unplugging the ssd. I can't get windows to boot no matter what I do, plso help. I'm leaning towards just doing a fresh install of windows 10 but would like to clear the ssd first if I was to do that.

hook your ssd to the sata port the HD was on. disconnect the HD. boot.

Create a Windows 10 install media, and see if you can go in the recovery environment and do a refresh instead of reset. Refresh will let you keep your personal files but "reset" the OS install.

If you don't care about that, then you can just reinstall Windows. You don't need to clear the SSD.

If simply having the SSD plugged in doesn't work then just do a fresh install on the SSD (with the HDD unplugged) and when it's all done plug back your HDD to get access to your files.

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !

14 minutes ago, LabRat said:

hook your ssd to the sata port the HD was on. disconnect the HD. boot.

I tried this, and interestingly enough the ssd now loads forever at the black screen like the hard drive did. I then got the idea to try a brand new sata cable and it still booted just as the harddrive did with the black screen.

did you format the ssd before you tried to clone it by any7 chance?

and an edit........... with only the ssd in or only the HD in............ do a cmos reset.

13 minutes ago, LabRat said:

did you format the ssd before you tried to clone it by any7 chance?

and an edit........... with only the ssd in or only the HD in............ do a cmos reset.

I did not format it. I went straight to acronis and followed their steps.

did you install the HD and do a cmos reset yet? then reset the boot order.

17 minutes ago, LabRat said:

did you install the HD and do a cmos reset yet? then reset the boot order.

Can I just reset my bios in the bios? Or is a cmos necessary? 

Ive gotten it to the point where the ssd now longer infinitely loads on a black screen, it now does what it used to and gets to the screen right before the welcome screen and spasms out.

5 minutes ago, LabRat said:

try a reinstall ( new install ) on the ssd.

Ok, I will.

I have tried a 1000 more things and even resulted to a fresh wipe but when I got the media creation tool on a USB drive and tried to custom install it gave me an error about my drive needing recovery. I'm completely stuck and don't know where to go from here. Is my ssd defective?

defective? what kind of problems were you having with the drive you replaced?

might be a bad board??? bad bios???

list system specs. ( specifics )

Amd Fx - 8350

EVGA GTX 770

Western Digital Blue WD5000AAKX 500gb 7200 RPM

ASUS M5A99X Evo R2.0 AM3 +

G.Skill Sniper 8gb RAM

4 hours ago, LabRat said:

defective? what kind of problems were you having with the drive you replaced?

might be a bad board??? bad bios???

list system specs. ( specifics )

Crucial MX300 2.5" 525GB Sata 3 SSD

that free cloning software on WD's site really works good. you should have looked into it before going elsewhere./..........

ANYWAYS............ what kind of problems were you having with the HD before you decided to jump into this?

and if you cloned a bad drive do you suppose you cloned the errors along with it?

the ports on the board could be bad or not enabled in the BIOS or will not work until software is installed at the desktop.

try burning your software to a dvd-rom drive and going from there.

edit.......... did you reset the BIOS using the jumper as suggested above? ( cmos reset ) and NO, I don't mean just doing it from the BIOS while the machine is running )

7 hours ago, LabRat said:

that free cloning software on WD's site really works good. you should have looked into it before going elsewhere./..........

ANYWAYS............ what kind of problems were you having with the HD before you decided to jump into this?

and if you cloned a bad drive do you suppose you cloned the errors along with it?

the ports on the board could be bad or not enabled in the BIOS or will not work until software is installed at the desktop.

try burning your software to a dvd-rom drive and going from there.

edit.......... did you reset the BIOS using the jumper as suggested above? ( cmos reset ) and NO, I don't mean just doing it from the BIOS while the machine is running )

I actually got home today and booted it up, and thankfully got a fresh new windows. All is good so far, thanks guys. I did nothing since last night but it decided to work today.