Buy A Winning Lottery Ticket?

I just ran across a website that sells binned CPU's.  Silicon Lottery   Has anyone used their services or purchased a CPU from them?  If so, was it a good experience?  Would you deal with them again?

Edited by Corrupt_Liberty
Fixing Link

Malo Periculosam Libertatem Quam Quietum Servitium

1 minute ago, WereCat said:

that link sends me back here... :D

Fixed!

I haven't used it but I believe @Lays has

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

Just now, Corrupt_Liberty said:

Fixed!

I heard about them few times. I don't have any personal experience with them but as far as I know they are legit.

Not sure about how warranties work with them.

I will definitely have to consider them for my next build.  Hell, I'm very tempted to grab that 4790K right now.

I've heard of em and I think that they do delids too, but don't know that much about them. Some look a bit overpriced (like the 7700k) but some of the others like the 7600k or 4790k look like good deals...

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

1 hour ago, DocSwag said:

I've heard of em and I think that they do delids too, but don't know that much about them. Some look a bit overpriced (like the 7700k) but some of the others like the 7600k or 4790k look like good deals...

1 hour ago, KyleKyleKyle said:

That 7700k is like 200 over the normal price lol

I wonder how much money they lose on CPU's that don't make the cut.  How rare is a 5.2Ghz 7700k?  The 5.1Ghz is pretty reasonable.  

Just now, Corrupt_Liberty said:

I wonder how much money they lose on CPU's that don't make the cut.  How rare is a 5.2Ghz 7700k?  The 5.1Ghz is pretty reasonable.  

Once delided and with a full loop, 5.2 daily on a 7700k is pretty doable.  But to answer your question, even delidded, less than 10% of them will do it stable.

2 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

A lot of guys from the thread below either order from SL or bin CPUs like myself.

http://www.overclock.net/t/1621347/kaby-lake-overclocking-guide-with-statistics/0_100

When I built my Haswell system I would have been happy to pay an extra $150 for a guaranteed overclocker.  As it sits I can barely hit 4.4 at 1.45v.  That's a bit high for a daily driver.  I keep it at 4.3.  How exactly do you bin your own CPU's?

8 minutes ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

Probably a bit difficult, maybe top 1% or so, though they do have a pretty big markup so they make a fair bit of profit on them. And they sell the lower binned ones too at MSRP ish prices so I guess they'd make a decent overall profit. Very few 7700ks can't make 4.9 ghz do I'd presume there's very few CPUs they can't sell.

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

When I built my Haswell system I would have been happy to pay an extra $150 for a guaranteed overclocker.  As it sits I can barely hit 4.4 at 1.45v.  That's a bit high for a daily driver.  I keep it at 4.3.  How exactly do you bin your own CPU's?

I do it like this.  :D

20170309_140232 (2).jpg

3 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Probably a bit difficult, maybe top 1% or so, though they do have a pretty big markup so they make a fair bit of profit on them. And they sell the lower binned ones too at MSRP ish prices so I guess they'd make a decent overall profit. Very few 7700ks can't make 4.9 ghz do I'd presume there's very few CPUs they can't sell.

I can't imagine they sell a lot of the 4.9 chips even at MSRP.  Would you buy a CPU at full price knowing someone else has already unboxed it and put the screws to it with little result?  They should probably mark those down at the very least.

3 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

20170309_140232 (2).jpg

SWEET MOTHER OF GOD,man!  You just sell the failures on eBay?

6 minutes ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

SWEET MOTHER OF GOD,man!  You just sell the failures on eBay?

I delid A LOT of chips and get rid of the ones that don't make the cut.  The thing that sucks with Skylake and Kaby Lake is the silicone sealant used to seal the IHS to the substrate.  During the curing process is causes the IHS to lift ever so slightly off of the die producing a tiny gap.  The factory TIM still bridges that gap between the die and the IHS, but with very little pressure resulting in less than great thermals.  This directly impacts OC headroom.

I search for 5.2 and higher chips so there are a lot of them that don't make the cut.  I get rid of those through sales or other means.

26 minutes ago, done12many2 said:

I delid A LOT of chips and get rid of the ones that don't make the cut.  The thing that sucks with Skylake and Kaby Lake is the silicone sealant used to seal the IHS to the substrate.  During the curing process is causes the IHS to lift ever so slightly off of the die producing a tiny gap.  The factory TIM still bridges that gap between the die and the IHS, but with very little pressure resulting in less than great thermals.  This directly impacts OC headroom.

I search for 5.2 and higher chips so there are a lot of them that don't make the cut.  I get rid of those through sales or other means.

Jesus Christ 50 CPUs that's $17,500!!!

How much did you end up essentially paying for your 7700k after selling the rest?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

4 minutes ago, DocSwag said:

Jesus Christ 50 CPUs that's $17,5000!!!

How much did you end up essentially paying for your 7700k after selling the rest?

The same as anyone else.  The overall goal is to break even.  I bin them for myself and friends in order to get the best ones out there.  I have to sell the better ones for a little profit to help absorb some of the binning costs, but I'm not making money like Silicon Lottery or anything.

I wish I could tell you that the 50 you see in the picture were all I've been through, but I'd be lying to you.  I've had a lot more than that pass through my hands.  

1 minute ago, done12many2 said:

The same as anyone else.  The overall goal is to break even.  I bin them for myself and friends in order to get the best ones out there.  I have to sell the better ones for a little profit to help absorb some of the binning costs, but I'm not making money like Silicon Lottery or anything.

I wish I could tell you that the 50 you see in the picture were all I've been through, but I'd be lying to you.  I've had a lot more than that pass through my hands.  

In the end how much did you make/lose? And holy crap how long did it take you?!?

Do this:

Or this:

@DocSwag

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

Home Server:

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, DocSwag said:

In the end how much did you make/lose? And holy crap how long did it take you?!?

It's generally a slight loss here and there, but I still came out way ahead of buying a 5.2 chip from SL.  At the time I needed one, he wanted $729 for a binned 5.2 7700k.  That was $400 more than what I could have bought one from Micro Center for so the whole principle drove me into batch binning them myself.  I've been doing it since right after the release and I'm still doing it today.  

While I can't directly answer your question, I can tell you that my losses are far less then the $400 difference I would have paid and I'm sure that I ended up with a better chip.  Not to mention quite a few buddies of mine, fellow LTT members included, have ended up with great chips along the way as well.  

4 hours ago, Corrupt_Liberty said:

I just ran across a website that sells binned CPU's.  Silicon Lottery   Has anyone used their services or purchased a CPU from them?  If so, was it a good experience?  Would you deal with them again?

Bought a 4.8 6700k from him last year, delidded it myself and put CLU on it, and ran it 24/7 5 ghz 1.424v.

Had a sponsorship deal with him back then so I didn't have to pay full price though.

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

2 hours ago, done12many2 said:

20170309_140232 (2).jpg

Idgaf about cpu. Gimme Intel case badge sticker please!  :P

Intel Xeon E5 1650 v3 @ 3.5GHz 6C:12T / CM212 Evo / Asus X99 Deluxe / 16GB (4x4GB) DDR4 3000 Trident-Z / Samsung 850 Pro 256GB / Intel 335 240GB / WD Red 2 & 3TB / Antec 850w / RTX 2070 / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy X360 15: Intel Core i5 8250U @ 1.6GHz 4C:8T / 8GB DDR4 / Intel UHD620 + Nvidia GeForce MX150 4GB / Intel 120GB SSD / Win10 Pro x64

HP Envy x360 BP series Intel 8th gen

AMD ThreadRipper 2!

5820K & 6800K 3-way SLI mobo support list

21 hours ago, NumLock21 said:

Idgaf about cpu. Gimme Intel case badge sticker please!  :P

They don't even come with one.  Can you believe that?