Will Intel have a response to AMD Ryzen?

Hi, 

I currently have an x99 mobo with an i7 6800k. It gets the job done, but I'm looking at the benchmarks on Ryzen and thinking that if I sell my rampage v ed 10  + cpu I could easily buy an 1800x + Asus crosshair. I have an m.2 drive where my OS is installed and than I have 8 other drives for gaming/videos/back ups/photos. I use my desktop as a back up server for all the other devices in our home. I think the Ryzen cpu would be better for my needs in terms of performance/price and I'm thinking of switching over, but before I make the leap of faith into the AMD camp I need to know if Intel will be coming out with a better cpu in the near future. Does anyone know? Also, do you think I should switch to Ryzen?

if you use your system for so much and once and it's essentially a backbone of all the devices in your home I wouldn't replace it, because if you fuck up or anything goes wrong all might be lost. if you want to stay uptodate better get a 2nd system that you don't store important things on and can upgrade when needed, without possibly losing everything.

May the light have your back and your ISO low.

Yeah they already did first stage answer, they made their prices lower in the US.

People keep buying Broadwell-E even though it is complete overpriced when Ryzen has the same performance for less than half the price, so Intel might as well as do nothing about it.

My biggest hope is that Ryzen 5 6c/12t can trade blows with the 7700k in gaming so it can be a success and force Intel to finally make their i7 flagship 6c/12t too, it is 2017 and 4c/8t still is the "high end"? We already have DX12 and Vulkan around and all the newest games are better multi-threaded, Intel has milked us enough, time to make better offerings and AMD is the only one that can have that happen.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

3 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

People keep buying Broadwell-E even though it is complete overpriced when Ryzen has the same performance for less than half the price, so Intel might as well as do nothing about it.

My biggest hope is that Ryzen 5 6c/12t can trade blows with the 7700k in gaming so it can be a success and force Intel to finally make their i7 flagship 6c/12t too, it is 2017 and 4c/8t still is the "high end"? We already have DX12 and Vulkan around and all the newest games are better multi-threaded, Intel has milked us enough, time to make better offerings and AMD is the only one that can have that happen.

I'm hoping for the same. The benchmarks from Ryzen + price range is just too good to pass up. I would have to pay double to get something similar to Ryzen if I went with Intel. The only thing I like about Intel is the x99 chipset. I don't know if AMD has something similar or not, but I'll have to look into that further. 

6 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

My biggest hope is that Ryzen 5 6c/12t can trade blows with the 7700k in gaming so it can be a success and force Intel to finally make their i7 flagship 6c/12t too, it is 2017 and 4c/8t still is the "high end"? We already have DX12 and Vulkan around and all the newest games are better multi-threaded, Intel has milked us enough time to make better offerings and AMD is the only one that can have that happen.

I think the nonexistence of more than 4 cores on LGA 1151 might be due to the size of the die, but I think they should get rid of the internal GPU and use that space for additional CPU cores for the high end users, since most of us will probably be getting discrete graphics anyways.

Just now, xentropa said:

I think the lack of more than 4 cores on LGA 1151 might be due to the size of the die, but I think they should get rid of the internal GPU and use that space for additional CPU cores for the high end users, since most of us will probably be getting discrete graphics anyways.

Totally, I love knowing that 33percent of my very expensive CPU is NEVER used because I have a graphics card >.>

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

11 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

Hi, 

I currently have an x99 mobo with an i7 6800k. It gets the job done (snip)

Also, do you think I should switch to Ryzen?

"It gets the job done"

Based upon that alone, no. I sincerely doubt that your 6800K system came cheap, and you would not get your money back selling it, certainly not with Ryzen out there undercutting Broadwell-E. In this situation in particular, if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

4 minutes ago, Princess Cadence said:

My biggest hope is that Ryzen 5 6c/12t can trade blows with the 7700k in gaming so it can be a success and force Intel to finally make their i7 flagship 6c/12t too, it is 2017 and 4c/8t still is the "high end"?

Unfortunately, I doubt that happens. Intel has had plenty of opportunity to up the core count on its CPUs, and they've consistently kept 6-core and above systems in their -E series and with their Xeons. I think the more likely scenario is that the "low end" X800K CPUs see their prices come down some, but not a ton. Intel has such a built-in fan base and so, so many OEM deals for their standard i3, i5 and i7 lineups that there's really no incentive for them to rock the boat by making the -8700K (or even -9700K, for that matter) a hexa-core. Truth is, Intel's IPC is still better, and there's still a good chance that the -7700K beats its Ryzen equivalent at launch. "At launch" is an important distinction there, because I'm expecting (or just hoping?) that Ryzen's architecture ages much better than the umpteen gazillion Bulldozer rehashes we got that seemed to raise the temperature more than anything else.

I enjoy buying junk and sinking more money than it's worth into it to make it less junk.

29 minutes ago, Pachuca said:

Hi, 

I currently have an x99 mobo with an i7 6800k. It gets the job done, but I'm looking at the benchmarks on Ryzen and thinking that if I sell my rampage v ed 10  + cpu I could easily buy an 1800x + Asus crosshair. I have an m.2 drive where my OS is installed and than I have 8 other drives for gaming/videos/back ups/photos. I use my desktop as a back up server for all the other devices in our home. I think the Ryzen cpu would be better for my needs in terms of performance/price and I'm thinking of switching over, but before I make the leap of faith into the AMD camp I need to know if Intel will be coming out with a better cpu in the near future. Does anyone know? Also, do you think I should switch to Ryzen?

Intel have started to make a new platform in response to Ryzen. It'll be the new x299 which will be released in Q3 this year.

https://www.pcgamesn.com/intel/skylake-x-kaby-lake-x

Mods - Sorry if I broke a rule by putting this link in.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Intel will release Skylake-X on socket 2066, probably at some point this year. Ryzen killed X99 in terms of value, but it more or less matches it in terms of performance. Hence, almost no one should buy X99 at current prices (there could be exceptional use cases due to PCIe lanes, etc), bit anyone with an X99 system is already getting the same (s)he can obtain by switching, and it would probably be more cost-effective to get a used 6900K if you need 8 cores than changing the motherboard as well.

Prices may drop in the future, in which case you could upgrade within x99 even new, but I think it's likely they won't bother: they can jsut accept the demise of 2011-3, let anyone who still pays because Intel or whatever give them money, and just focus on getting a new performance gap with 2066 - x299, which they can charge a price premium for.

So: right now there isn't much of an upgrade for you, other than comparing the cost of switching to Ryzen with the cost of upgrading to i7-69xx. In the (near?) future, your options will be to go with value (Ryzen) or highest performance available (Skylake-X).