Project tuxedo (900D) Updated 3/23/14

martinrox1568

Great looking build so far! I'll definitely be watching this one.

"Her tsundere ratio is 8:2. So don't think you could see her dere side so easily."

Planing to make you debut here on the forums? Read Me First!

unofficial LTT Anime Club Heaven Society

Holy crap! How did you change the colors on the board??? I am Curious...   :)

Z87 Blue Beast - - - Intel 4670k at 4.4 GHZ - GTX 770 - MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX - Seasonic 760W 80+ Platinum - Corsair 650D - Aquaero - H100i [CLICK]

Holy crap! How did you change the colors on the board??? I am Curious...   :)

I removed the motherboard's heatsinks and then simply painted them. It was fairly simple because my mobo had screw's on everything I needed to paint.

Looks good. Are you going hard acrylic or bendy tube on the tubing?

Sadly I'm going to use the bendy tubing. When I ordered everything, I wasn't even aware of acrylic tubing and if I want to use it now, I'd have to purchase separate fittings for the acrylic. Also one off my radiators is ancient, and those type of fittings wouldn't fit on it. :(

Finally my Santa hat doesn't look out of place

Great looking build so far! I'll definitely be watching this one.

Thanks!

I removed the motherboard's heatsinks and then simply painted them. It was fairly simple because my mobo had screw's on everything I needed to paint.

Sadly I'm going to use the bendy tubing. When I ordered everything, I wasn't even aware of acrylic tubing and if I want to use it now, I'd have to purchase separate fittings for the acrylic. Also one off my radiators is ancient, and those type of fittings wouldn't fit on it. :(

What kind of paint did you use for the heatsinks? 

Z87 Blue Beast - - - Intel 4670k at 4.4 GHZ - GTX 770 - MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX - Seasonic 760W 80+ Platinum - Corsair 650D - Aquaero - H100i [CLICK]

What kind of paint did you use for the heatsinks? 

plastipaint. It's a type of paint that you can peel off like rubber whenever you decide to

I really like how MSI put all of the capacitors next to each other. It makes the board look so clean. I NEED MOAR UPDATES

i5 4670k| Asrock H81M-ITX| EVGA Nex 650g| WD Black 500Gb| H100 with SP120s| ASUS Matrix 7970 Platinum (just sold)| Patriot Venom 1600Mhz 8Gb| Bitfenix Prodigy. Build log in progress 

Build Log here: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/119926-yin-yang-prodigy-update-2-26-14/

PC parts arrived guys! Sorry, but I only took a couple photos.

IMG_8857.JPG

Tubing is where I feel kind of stupid for not doing my research. As I bought this, I realized that it would be useful to learn how to bend tubing like I have seen people do on the forum. I didn't realize that it was an entirely different tubing. :P I would have bought acrylic tubing, but that would have required different compression fittings, and I'm basically broke. :( Still I'll try to make the runs as straight as possible.

IMG_8869.JPG

This ray storm block seems like a great bang for the buck. It performs with the best, and costs like $65.

IMG_8848.JPG

Here's how I've been using my computer for the past 2 weeks. Gasp  :o , there's and intel stock heatsink. I know, I've let you guys down.

IMG_8870.JPG

Here's the mobo with the cpu block installed. Seeing some problems with the RAM though. No idea what I'm going to do there.

IMG_8855.JPG

Here's the (crappy) rad that my dad donated to me. Got to clean this a bunch. . . Also, only the barbs that were installed on it work. For some reason, the G1/4 threads are a lot deeper and the compression fittings I have won't work so I have to use barbs  :angry: Anyone have any suggestions for compression fittings that have deeper G1/4 threads?

IMG_8842.JPG

Here are the compression fittings; Alphacools. They were the cheapest ones I liked :P. But they won't tighten all the way . Wow, this build has so many problems now that I look at it.

IMG_8843.JPG

And lastly, here's the sleeving extensions.  I didn't know which GPU I was going to go for in the beginning, so I just bought the 8pin & 24 pin for the motherboard.

Well, that's basically it for now. All that's left is putting it all together.  :P

I really like how MSI put all of the capacitors next to each other. It makes the board look so clean. I NEED MOAR UPDATES

Your wish is granted :)

this looks like it will be awesome. And i had no idea kingston had ram like that

Case: Phanteks Evolve X with ITX mount  cpu: Ryzen 3900X 4.35ghz all cores Motherboard: MSI X570 Unify gpu: EVGA 1070 SC  psu: Phanteks revolt x 1200W Memory: 64GB Kingston Hyper X oc'd to 3600mhz ssd: Sabrent Rocket 4.0 1TB ITX System CPU: 4670k  Motherboard: some cheap asus h87 Ram: 16gb corsair vengeance 1600mhz

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome build so far! I've been doing a very similar build myself and I was wondering how you disassembled the mosfet heatsink? Did you use a heat gun on the top part to melt the glue and then unscrew the yellow layer? How complicated was it and how did you put them back together (add more glue or reheat the same one) ? Do you think this voided your warranty?

Awesome build so far! I've been doing a very similar build myself and I was wondering how you disassembled the mosfet heatsink? Did you use a heat gun on the top part to melt the glue and then unscrew the yellow layer? How complicated was it and how did you put them back together (add more glue or reheat the same one) ? Do you think this voided your warranty?

the easiest way is to take a knife blade and start sort of "cutting" between the gap where the yellow and the top black come together. after around 10 seconds, the blade should sort of slide through the heatsink. When it does, just continue to move the blade through the heatsink all the way to the other side. Once you do that, try to twist the blade so that the heatsink falls apart. And if I recall correctly, once the top is taken off, it should uncover a couple screws that you need to undo. Once you undo them, there is still some glue, and when you break apart the glue, the heatsink should fall apart into 3 pieces. Don't worry, it didn't break. That was what I thought for the first 5 seconds I saw it become 3 pieces  :P. And no need to worry about putting it back together. The glue should remain strong enough to just stick it back on.  No idea if it voided their warrenty or not. I used plasti paint that simply can be peeled off, and if I ever need to RMA it, MSI will have no idea I did this. . . :)

the easiest way is to take a knife blade and start sort of "cutting" between the gap where the yellow and the top black come together. after around 10 seconds, the blade should sort of slide through the heatsink. When it does, just continue to move the blade through the heatsink all the way to the other side. Once you do that, try to twist the blade so that the heatsink falls apart. And if I recall correctly, once the top is taken off, it should uncover a couple screws that you need to undo. Once you undo them, there is still some glue, and when you break apart the glue, the heatsink should fall apart into 3 pieces. Don't worry, it didn't break. That was what I thought for the first 5 seconds I saw it become 3 pieces  :P. And no need to worry about putting it back together. The glue should remain strong enough to just stick it back on.  No idea if it voided their warrenty or not. I used plasti paint that simply can be peeled off, and if I ever need to RMA it, MSI will have no idea I did this. . . :)

Cool! Thanks for the reply. Yeah I started looking into Plasti Dip and it's very promising as a "warranty safe" paint :-)

Edit: Holy crap! I just had a heart attack. The cracking noise + the 3 pieces really make it look like I just broke it. You warned me, but I still crapped my pants :P

• 3 months later...

update coming soon guys, just as I figure out whats wrong with picassa and this forum

update coming soon guys, just as I figure out whats wrong with picassa and this forum

Yay

If you want to join a really cool Discord chatroom with some great guys here from LTT and outside this community then PM me!

Its been awhile since I gave you guys any new updates but I felt it would be better to just finish the build and then post all of the photos and not remind you guys and then make you wait again for a new update. While its technacally not 100% finished, I only need to do the lighting, and that will just be the money shots  :P. Here's what I've been working on the past couple months. I know, it took a lot longer than it should have but originally I didn't even intend for everything I did to it. Infact, I had it running for 2 weeks and then my pump broke so I rma'd it and then I realized that the ram was too high for the tubing to go above it soo then I had to reroute it. And the only way I could reroute and make it look nice was with adding an "attic" to the 900D. And THEN I gained inspiration from some builds with lightboxes. So finally I had an idea in place and it took around 2 months to finish it.

With an idea in my head, I began to look for some LED strips. Soon however, I realized that I wasn't about to pay $20 for 30cm of LED strips. That was when I found these on Ebay for $25. Not only are they 5m(yes meters, not feet) but they are RGB AND come with a remote. I was sold. Just goes to show you the rip off for pc lights. 

IMG_9094.jpg

Just as a reminder, here's the case with the mobo in it. 

IMG_9100.jpg

And here's a little preview of what I am doing. The white cutout is 60% opaque acrylic held on with some tape

IMG_9101.jpg

There are also pieces of acrylic for the top, bottom, and front of the inside of the case. Here's one of them with some eyeballed measurements of what I need to cut out. And yes, those ventillation holes took a hell of a long time to cut out  

IMG_9102.jpg

In case anyone is curious how I drilled the holes, I just used graph paper as a template.

IMG_9104.jpg

And I needed something to raise the acrylic with and check out these old books I found in my shelf that had the exact same height. lol

IMG_9105.jpg

MIGHTY MACHINES!!! lmao  :D   :D   :D   :D

Here's the piece that goes in front of the motherboard tray. I had a bit of a stupid moment and totally forgot that my gpu still needs air and cut some ventilation holes (mostly for design) and a big hole. I'm not a huge fan of the hole so if anyone has any suggestions of what to do with it, since it is already there, to make it look better, please give me some advice. I was thinking I could buy some more acrylic and cut it out to the dimentions of the hole and add some 1-1 1/2 inch spacers and screw it onto the front piece, but idk

IMG_9112.jpg

It took me a while to find the perfect glue to put it all together, but I finally found it. 

Finally I glued it all together and this is what the (semi) finished product looks like. Its far from perfect(like REALLY far) but I didn't want to waste hours on end just to get everything to align perfectly.

IMG_9125.jpg

But then disaster struck and it cracked     :unsure:

IMG_9128.jpg

All I could do at this point was to glue it to stop it from cracking more and move on, so that's what I did.

I also got the grommets from the case to fit into the holes 

IMG_9130.jpg

And lastly, I did a test fit to see how everything went, and since it was all good, and I really missed my PC, I went to the final assembly. 

IMG_9137.jpg

The best part was that the ventillation holes were serving more purpose than I could have imagined. Screw holder   :P

IMG_9134.jpg

I temporarily taped up my extensions in an attempt to "train " them into being straight with no cable overlaps, but that didn't work well

IMG_9153.jpg

And now the leak test 

IMG_9155.jpg

can never be too careful   :P

IMG_9157.jpg

That's it for now. RIght now I'm on my laptop updating this post and hearing the hum of the pump  :) hope everything goes well and no leaks are found because I didn't really think about the acrylic at the time and it made it a real pain to take it apart. to take it off I have to undo the mobo and empty the water.   :(

If everything goes as planned, there should only be one or two more updates with the lighting installed and some glory-shots along with the results of the overclocking.

Yay

Finally I found out what was wrong. I stupidly uploaded the photos in a cr2 format