NETGEAR issues (non-urgent) recall for some enterprise network devices

zMeul

source: https://kb.netgear.com/000037344/Service-Note-for-RN3130-RN3138-WC7500-and-WC7600v2

1000px-Netgear_logo_2014.svg.png

NETGEAR has determined that certain RN3130, RN3138, WC7500, and WC7600v2 models (complete list below) might experience higher-than-normal hardware failure rates after a few years of operation.
While this situation is not an immediate cause for concern about the operation of any of these models, we understand that customers might have questions. We will be reaching out to all registered customers of the affected models over the next several months to determine the appropriate actions for their situations.The model name for your product is listed on the serial number label.

The following models might be affected:

• RN3130 (NAS)
  • RN3138 (NAS)
  • WC7500-10000S (WiFi controller)
  • WC7500-100INS (WiFi controller)
  • WC7500-100PRS (WiFi controller)
  • WB7520-10000S (WiFi controller)
  • WB7520-100NAS (WiFi controller)
  • WB7530-10000S (WiFi controller)
  • WB7530-100NAS (WiFi controller)
  • WC7600-20000S (WiFi controller)
  • WC7600-200INS (WiFi controller)
  • WC7600-200PRS (WiFi controller)
  • WB7620-10000S (WiFi controller)
  • WB7620-100NAS (WiFi controller)
  • WB7630-10000S (WiFi controller)
  • WB7630-100NAS (WiFi controller)

what all of these devices have in common?

well, as The Register found out, they all are powered by Intel's Atom (C2000 series) Avoton CPUs, CPUs that are known to stop booting over time

so, if your business/institution has one of these devices in their racks, better contact NETGEAR before the Atom chips decide to die ;)

We have an older nas with an atom chip. Not from netgear but i will be checking to see if it has this one. 

CPU: Amd 7800X3D | GPU: AMD 7900XTX

18 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Where is all of the hate and vitriol we normally see in your threads where it's an issue with an AMD chip?

AMD fanbois are special kind of people

Just now, zMeul said:

AMD fanbois are special kind of people

Who are you calling a fanboy? I have a 4690K xD the fact that you're so quick to call me a fanboy of another vendor kind of proves my point, you've obviously made being "Team Intel" a fundamental pillar of who you are lol.

The language you use in topics you post concerning AMD or Intel CPUs is so vastly different it clearly points out who the "fanboi" really is...

Seriously though in any Ryzen thread you constantly hate on performance based on any metric and love to "stir the pot" so to speak.

However with this thread where CPUs are LITERALLY dying en masse it basically just gets a shrug because they're Intel CPUs.

If this thing were happening to AMD CPUs you'd either be going full tinfoil hat right now on how it's some sort of planned obsolescence scheme or you'd be like "Well it's AMD so that's what the customers get for buying the 'inferior; option."

4 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

Who are you calling a fanboy? I have a 4690K xD the fact that you're so quick to call me a fanboy of another vendor kind of proves my point, you've obviously made being "Team Intel" a fundamental pillar of who you are lol.

The language you use in topics you post concerning AMD or Intel CPUs is so vastly different it clearly points out who the "fanboi" really is...

Seriously though in any Ryzen thread you constantly hate on performance based on any metric and love to "stir the pot" so to speak.

However with this thread where CPUs are LITERALLY dying en masse it basically just gets a shrug because they're Intel CPUs.

If this thing were happening to AMD CPUs you'd either be going full tinfoil hat right now on how it's some sort of planned obsolescence scheme or you'd be like "Well it's AMD so that's what the customers get for buying the 'inferior; option."

I called you a fanboy?! good god! please read carefully what I write from now on - it seems I stoke a nerve because you, yourself included in the AMD fanboy list and were quick to explode

I'm a Intel fanboy? funny how I post topics regarding Intel hardware failing; and informing people to check it

if I have an axe to grind with AMD, and to tickle AMD's fanboy's nerves, does that make me an Intel fanboy?! I'd like you explain to me how

16 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

[insert comment]

But for real, bizarre that Avoton based systems would fail so sporadically and/or randomly.

it's a hardware failure inside the silicon die

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

I called you a fanboy?! good god! please read carefully what I write from now on - it seems I stoke a nerve because you, yourself included in the AMD fanboy list and were quick to explode

I'm a Intel fanboy? funny how I post topics regarding Intel hardware failing; and informing people to check it

if I have an axe to grind with AMD, and to tickle AMD's fanboy's nerves, does that make me an Intel fanboy?! I'd like you explain to me how

His point is still valid regardless of whether you're an Intel fanboy or an AMD hateboy. You do demonstrate a bias against AMD in almost any post/thread involving AMD.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

His point is still valid regardless of whether you're an Intel fanboy or an AMD hateboy. You do demonstrate a bias against AMD in almost any post/thread involving AMD.

not bias, but ... axes. spears, pitchforks, swords, maces .. to grind with AMD

yes, I have something against AMD and their pitiful existence and I never shied away from it - I will always point out, with data and facts, when they fuck up

the truths needs to be told and AMD's fanbois need to be put in place

AMD's tombstone will read: "killed by zMeul"

6 minutes ago, zMeul said:

not bias, but ... axes. spears, pitchforks, swords, maces .. to grind with AMD

yes, I have something against AMD and their pitiful existence and I never shied away from it - I will always point out, with data and facts, when they fuck up

the truths needs to be told and AMD's fanbois need to be put in place

AMD's tombstone will read: "killed by zMeul"

And where are the flaming pitchforks for Intel for forbidding manufacturers to speak of the high failure rates of Intel's Atom CPUs, and instead forcing the manufacturers who choose to use Intel hardware to take the fall? How about the fact that Intel has likely known about this issue for a long time and still remained silent? Or just how about the fact that these CPUs seem to have a lifespan of a pitiful 18 months because of a defect?

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

7 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

And where are the flaming pitchforks for Intel for forbidding manufacturers to speak of the high failure rates of Intel's Atom CPUs, and instead forcing the manufacturers who choose to use Intel hardware to take the fall? How about the fact that Intel has likely known about this issue for a long time and still remained silent? Or just how about the fact that these CPUs seem to have a lifespan of a pitiful 18 months because of a defect?

why are you asking me!?

there is a topic about the Atom failures started late January, I don't see you posting anything there

Intel for forbidding manufacturers to speak of the high failure rates of Intel's Atom CPUs, and instead forcing the manufacturers who choose to use Intel hardware to take the fall?

what are you talking about?! Intel already payed for it, year to year the Data Center Group took 1.6bil USD hit

5 minutes ago, zMeul said:

why are you asking me!?

there is a topic about the Atom failures started late January, I don't see you posting anything there

I never saw it. I don't live on the forums.

And I'm asking because you have a very different sentiment towards AMD and Intel related news, even when posting the thread. As a "reporter" you should be unbiased and have an impartial reaction. If this was about AMD powered devices then your post would be entirely different, which isn't how it should be.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

9 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

I never saw it. I don't live on the forums.

And I'm asking because you have a very different sentiment towards AMD and Intel related news, even when posting the thread. As a "reporter" you should be unbiased and have an impartial reaction. If this was about AMD powered devices then your post would be entirely different, which isn't how it should be.

yeah, I'm not a reported and never called myself one, I only relay news and because of the forums rules I'm obliged to express my view on it - if my personal opinion inflamates you, sorry ... don't read my posts then

for someone who "doesn't live on the forums" (joined aprox the same time, have twice as many posts as me) you're quick to point out that I have history of bias ...

3 minutes ago, zMeul said:

yeah, I'm not a reported and never called myself one, I only relay news and because of the forums rules I'm obliged to express my view on it - if my personal opinion inflamates you, sorry ... don't read my posts then

Which is still by definition a reporter, who again, are supposed to be objective. You can add your two cents on an issue, but you should be consistent with it. If Intel does something wrong then your post should reflect that in the exact same way it would if AMD did something wrong.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Which is still by definition a reporter, who again, are supposed to be objective. You can add your two cents on an issue, but you should be consistent with it. If Intel does something wrong then your post should reflect that in the exact same way it would if AMD did something wrong.

a reporter is not made by a definition, a reported is made by a degree in journalism

that's why I never even tried to associate as one

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

a reporter is not made by a definition, a reported is made by a degree in journalism

A reporter isn't required to have a degree in journalism. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

A reporter isn't required to have a degree in journalism. 

well then, a butcher is a doctor too xD

7 minutes ago, zMeul said:

well then, a butcher is a doctor too xD

Kind of, but not quite.

Reporter:

":  one that reports: such asa :  a person who makes authorized statements of law decisions or legislative proceedingsb :  a person who makes a shorthand record of a speech or proceedingc (1) :  a person employed by a newspaper, magazine, or television company to gather and report news (2) :  a person who broadcasts news"

Doctor:

"1a Christianity  :  an eminent theologiandeclared a sound expounder of doctrine by the Roman Catholic Church —called also doctor of the churchb :  a learned or authoritative teacherc :  a person who has earned one of the highest academic degrees (as a PhD) conferred by a university Most of the college's faculty members are doctors in their fields.The class is being taught by DoctorMenzer.d :  a person awarded an honorary doctorate (as an LLD or Litt D ) by a college or university

2a :  a person skilled or specializing in healing arts; especially  :  one (as a physician, dentist, or veterinarian) who holds an advanced degree and is licensed to practice See your doctor if the condition worsens.an eye doctor doctors' billsb :  medicine man

3a :  material added (as to food) to produce a desired effectb :  a blade (as of metal) for spreading a coating or scraping a surface

4:  a person who restores, repairs, or fine-tunes things"

I would still consider someone who practices medicine and is knowledgeable about medicine-- even without a degree -- to be a doctor.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

16 minutes ago, zMeul said:

YOU DON'T NEED a degree 

Good luck, Have fun, Build PC, and have a last gen console for use once a year. I should answer most of the time between 9 to 3 PST

NightHawk 3.0: R7 5700x @, B550A vision D, H105, 2x32gb Oloy 3600, Sapphire RX 6700XT  Nitro+, Corsair RM750X, 500 gb 850 evo, 2tb rocket and 5tb Toshiba x300, 2x 6TB WD Black W10 all in a 750D airflow.
GF PC: (nighthawk 2.0): R7 2700x, B450m vision D, 4x8gb Geli 2933, Strix GTX970, CX650M RGB, Obsidian 350D

Skunkworks: R5 3500U, 16gb, 500gb Adata XPG 6000 lite, Vega 8. HP probook G455R G6 Ubuntu 20. LTS

Condor (MC server): 6600K, z170m plus, 16gb corsair vengeance LPX, samsung 750 evo, EVGA BR 450.

Spirt  (NAS) ASUS Z9PR-D12, 2x E5 2620V2, 8x4gb, 24 3tb HDD. F80 800gb cache, trueNAS, 2x12disk raid Z3 stripped

PSU Tier List      Motherboard Tier List     SSD Tier List     How to get PC parts cheap    HP probook 445R G6 review

"Stupidity is like trying to find a limit of a constant. You are never truly smart in something, just less stupid."

Camera Gear: X-S10, 16-80 F4, 60D, 24-105 F4, 50mm F1.4, Helios44-m, 2 Cos-11D lavs

Intel atom chips are trash, complete and utter garbage. They are painfully slow, and they also randomly die too. 

You can get an ultra low power xeon which would be hundreds of times better in any situation, which it would have ecc memory support. Let's just hope Intel finally puts this crap in the trash. 

Also I seemed to have missed the part where zMeul gets out the pitchfork and belittles this Intel chip in every way possible even if it only exists in his small little mind. Oh wait it's Intel. He won't say anything bad about Intel. 

Do you even fanboy bro?

Wow great thread guys. Completely derail the thread to yap at zmuel for something that's not even related *clap clap* for ltt forums

Welp, Eli called it. There goes his beloved Fluke equipment...

Your resident osu! player, destroyer of keyboards.