Inquiry for audiophiles or anyone with studio recording experience

So I have a massive amount of music equipment ie, amps, guitars, and a few mics. So I am trying to or at least want to try to record music but all I have is a scarlett 2i2 so 2 xlr/ 1/4" inputs. I planned on using a usb to 1/4" and buying a 1?4" coupler to extend it and running from pc to amp and just using audacity to record it. Using two mics (one for me, one for a friend) through the 2i2 and to the pc. I'll edit most of it using audacity but I may try to use a couple others but I don't really know how to which audio editing softwares to use. So I guess the inquiry is does this all sound credible? Or does it sound nuts?

i mean, yea, that sounds like it would work. I personally have only ever had issues with xlr to usb cables though so i personally wouldnt go down that route. The cables are pretty cheap though so i suppose it wouldnt really hurt to give it a shot. 

though, and this may be the booze talking, but id be concerned about that usb to xlr mixing the multiple channels outputting from your interface (if you are recording from multiple sources at the same time)  into a single channel, making controlled editing difficult if not almost impossible. 

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

I would suggest getting a better interface than relying on usb->xlr cables, a 6i6 would allow both mics and a pre-amp output from a guitar amp. But if you're set on it, I would be careful about which usb->xlr you buy, a cheap option will probably have a much worse ADC than a similar product from shure/sennheiser for example, and may lack other features (phantom power etc...)

You might struggle to record the separate tracks using audacity, afaik, but something like reaper (also free) should do the job.