GTA V stuttering on my rig constantly

Veninblazer

When I first got my system up and capable of modern AAA gaming, the first game I tried on it was Grand Theft Auto V. That was after a few months of having to run it at 800x600 (pathetic, I know) and getting a measly 20fps with dips into the low teens. Needless to say, everything was running just as expected. Over 60 FPS all the time at my native resolution (which may also seem pathetic as it's 900p) and it ran smooth as butter. I was even able to keep some Chrome tabs open despite only having 8GB of RAM. Now, though, even if the game is ALL I have open, it will run fine for about 20 minutes, and then it will start stuttering out of nowhere. Not even Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (which some people claim is poorly optimized simply because their rig can't hit max settings at like 90FPS) does this to me anymore. IT'S LITERALLY JUST GTA AND NOTHING ELSE. Also, I did disable Game DVR, so that shouldn't be the issue. I've also been hearing that performance has gone down the drain since October.

2 minutes ago, MasontheDeathbat said:

When I first got my system up and capable of modern AAA gaming, the first game I tried on it was Grand Theft Auto V. That was after a few months of having to run it at 800x600 (pathetic, I know) and getting a measly 20fps with dips into the low teens. Needless to say, everything was running just as expected. Over 60 FPS all the time at my native resolution (which may also seem pathetic as it's 900p) and it ran smooth as butter. I was even able to keep some Chrome tabs open despite only having 8GB of RAM. Now, though, even if the game is ALL I have open, it will run fine for about 20 minutes, and then it will start stuttering out of nowhere. Not even Deus Ex: Mankind Divided (which some people claim is poorly optimized simply because their rig can't hit max settings at like 90FPS) does this to me anymore. Also, I did disable Game DVR, so that shouldn't be the issue. I've also been hearing that performance has gone down the drain since October.

Specs? I had the exact same issue until I updated BIOS and drivers.

Elemental 

Spoiler

Intel i5 6500 @3.8ghz - 8GB HyperX - 600w Apex PSU - GTX 1060 G1 GIGABYTE 6GB - s340 Black - 240gb Toshiba Q300 - Cooler master TX3i - MSI z170-A PRO.

Old Build (sold for 290€)

Spoiler

Intel i3 540 @ 3.9ghz (On stock cooler, Hits 80c max) - 8gb ram - 500w power supply - P7H55-M LE  120gb SSD - Talius Drakko case

Project Frug 50$ Water loop

Laptops

Spoiler

13" Macbook Air - Alienware m14x r2 -  2009 15" Macbook Pro (I was give all of these and would never buy them myself)

1 minute ago, Julian5 said:

Specs? I had the exact same issue until I updated BIOS and drivers.

CPU is an i5-3550, GPU is a 1050 Ti (drivers are up to date), and I have 8GB of RAM. Mobo is a business-grade Dell Optiplex board (I only paid $200 for the base of the system before gpu so even for a prebuilt this is a good deal)

Also, the very last patch I had to download is what I believe screwed it up 

If you have geforce experience installed, then uninstall it. That shit makes GTA V stutter like mad. For me and many other people at least.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

19 hours ago, leelaa14 said:

If you have geforce experience installed, then uninstall it. That shit makes GTA V stutter like mad. For me and many other people at least.

It didn't have a problem until recently, and I don't really think I want to uninstall it because I still want to record benchmarks for games with Shadowplay. (Having trouble with getting Rainbow Six Siege to work with it but eh)

And using OBS may work but I can't exactly use FLV files in the editing process.

8 hours ago, MasontheDeathbat said:

It didn't have a problem until recently, and I don't really think I want to uninstall it because I still want to record benchmarks for games with Shadowplay. (Having trouble with getting Rainbow Six Siege to work with it but eh)

And using OBS may work but I can't exactly use FLV files in the editing process.

At least uninstall it to see if that's the problem. That way you will know and then it's your choice to keep using it or not.
You can re-download it from here.
http://www.geforce.com/geforce-experience/download

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

I had the same issue with a 4790k/gtx980.

For me the problem came from Vsync, I had to disable it in game, and then enable it from the Nvidia control panel.

Give it a try, even if it doesn't solve your issue it won't take long anyway.

Uninstalling Geforce experience is a good idea as well, it's been too intrusive for a while now.

On 3/4/2017 at 10:08 AM, Guy_guy said:

I had the same issue with a 4790k/gtx980.

For me the problem came from Vsync, I had to disable it in game, and then enable it from the Nvidia control panel.

Give it a try, even if it doesn't solve your issue it won't take long anyway.

Uninstalling Geforce experience is a good idea as well, it's been too intrusive for a while now.

I don't have Vsync on, I manually cap my framerate with RivaTuner.

As for GeForce Experience, I would if I didn't regularly use what used to be known as Shadowplay. You can't exactly do that without GeForce Experience. Plus, why would it only fuck me over in one game? Not even Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is giving me this much grief, and I know people have reported lag spikes with 8GB of RAM in that game.

People say the last GTA Patch fucked things up. So maybe the Problem isnt on your side.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

8 hours ago, MasontheDeathbat said:

I don't have Vsync on, I manually cap my framerate with RivaTuner.

As for GeForce Experience, I would if I didn't regularly use what used to be known as Shadowplay. You can't exactly do that without GeForce Experience. Plus, why would it only fuck me over in one game? Not even Deus Ex: Mankind Divided is giving me this much grief, and I know people have reported lag spikes with 8GB of RAM in that game.

It's the only game it fucks me over with mainly, in terms of stutters.
Like I said, uninstall it just to see if that is indeed the problem. You can reinstall it again once you find out, no biggie. At least then you will know.

On 3/7/2017 at 1:31 AM, Praesi said:

People say the last GTA Patch fucked things up. So maybe the Problem isnt on your side.

That's exactly what I reported haha

Have any mods installed, especially graphics mod?if yes try uninstalling them and try it.I also had this problem, I used to play with smooth 60fps and suddenly I got this problem. I uninstalled the mods and now its smooth again.

The i5 is your problem.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

12 minutes ago, DKwilliamson said:

Have any mods installed, especially graphics mod?if yes try uninstalling them and try it.I also had this problem, I used to play with smooth 60fps and suddenly I got this problem. I uninstalled the mods and now its smooth again.

No mods at all.

6 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

The i5 is your problem.

You think it's that game engine issue? Sorry, but I was nowhere near that 160+ FPS barrier where that messes with performance. Usually I'm in the 70s and 80s on the high settings.

Just now, MasontheDeathbat said:

You think it's that game engine issue? Sorry, but I was nowhere near that 160+ FPS barrier where that messes with performance. Usually I'm in the 70s and 80s on the high settings.

its more of how stupidly cpu intensive it is. 

I get the same stutters from my 280x, 390x and 980 TI. 

Ignoring the Ryzen stuff. You can see that Wendell also experiences stutters in high end i7s.

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

its more of how stupidly cpu intensive it is. 

I get the same stutters from my 280x, 390x and 980 TI. 

Ignoring the Ryzen stuff. You can see that Wendell also experiences stutters in high end i7s.

It was buttery smooth until recently, and it only recommends an i5. But I have noticed that it's very intensive.

It was buttery smooth until recently, and it only recommends an i5. But I have noticed that it's very intensive.

Any new software you've installed recently?

2 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Any new software you've installed recently?

I usually don't install much often as I'm trying to preserve space. Last thing I downloaded was Rainbow Six Siege which runs amazingly on my PC.

2 minutes ago, MasontheDeathbat said:

I usually don't install much often as I'm trying to preserve space. Last thing I downloaded was Rainbow Six Siege which runs amazingly on my PC.

Might be a new windows update 

or 

You've started noticing it more. I do know its been the case for some. Weird eh? 

3 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Might be a new windows update 

or 

You've started noticing it more. I do know its been the case for some. Weird eh? 

1. Maybe, but I usually defer all my Windows updates until I'm done on the PC for the night.

2. If it was stuttering back then to the same degree (this is practically launch day Arkham Knight levels of stutter) I would have no doubt noticed.

1. Maybe, but I usually defer all my Windows updates until I'm done on the PC for the night.

2. If it was stuttering back then to the same degree (this is practically launch day Arkham Knight levels of stutter) I would have no doubt noticed.

Do you have MSAA on? 

14 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

Do you have MSAA on? 

Turning it off solved absolutely nothing, but I turned it to X2 a month or so ago and it ran fine. I admit I also have a couple advanced options on, but that was because I noticed quite a bit of pop in during the benchmark and during normal gameplay even with the normal distance scaling maxed. It was so distracting lol.

What kind of stuttering specifically? Does the game feel like it's skipping or very quickly freezing on a frequent basis or are you having massive framerate fluctuations (e.g. dropping from 100 to 20 fps briefly)?

I've found that GTA 5 will skip once or twice per second for me if I play on Windowed or Borderless, but it's eliminated entirely in fullscreen.

Outside of that have had no performance issues on either my desktop or my laptop, so can't really offer more suggestions.

Simple question, yes or no have you tried removing geforce experience like I suggested? If no, then seriously, why not?