GTA V stuttering on my rig constantly

Veninblazer
6 hours ago, Hiebly said:

What kind of stuttering specifically? Does the game feel like it's skipping or very quickly freezing on a frequent basis or are you having massive framerate fluctuations (e.g. dropping from 100 to 20 fps briefly)?

I've found that GTA 5 will skip once or twice per second for me if I play on Windowed or Borderless, but it's eliminated entirely in fullscreen.

Outside of that have had no performance issues on either my desktop or my laptop, so can't really offer more suggestions.

Freezing constantly. Sometimes I'll be driving and even the audio will fuck up.

20 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

Simple question, yes or no have you tried removing geforce experience like I suggested? If no, then seriously, why not?

Because 1) I can't be arsed to turn shitty Game DVR back on for my recordings, and that was what I initially assumed was the problem because Game DVR always mixes up RAM and hard disk, and 2) I'm forgetful af and need a reminder whenever a new driver comes out.

1 minute ago, MasontheDeathbat said:

Because 1) I can't be arsed to turn shitty Game DVR back on for my recordings, and that was what I initially assumed was the problem because Game DVR always mixes up RAM and hard disk, and 2) I'm forgetful af and need a reminder whenever a new driver comes out.

I'm not saying keep it uninstalled. I'm saying for troubleshooting purposes. Do you want to find out the cause of the stuttering problem or not? No one's telling you to keep it uninstalled. Just do it to see if it's the problem. 
Uninstall it
Keep gamedvr off

Boot up the game and test it out to see if the stuttering has gone.
If it's gone then you know it was geforce experience and not some other problem.
Reinstall geforce experience and continue playing your game knowing you have solved the problem.

Download link for geforce experience.
http://us.download.nvidia.com/GFE/GFEClient/3.4.0.70/GeForce_Experience_v3.4.0.70.exe

I can tell you straight, I get the Arkham Knight type of stuttering when I have GFE installed. Like it just skips every couple of seconds.
Please, just do this to see if it's the problem. Otherwise you're wasting your time.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

5 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

I'm not saying keep it uninstalled. I'm saying for troubleshooting purposes. Do you want to find out the cause of the stuttering problem or not? No one's telling you to keep it uninstalled. Just do it to see if it's the problem. 
Uninstall it
Keep gamedvr off

Boot up the game and test it out to see if the stuttering has gone.
If it's gone then you know it was geforce experience and not some other problem.
Reinstall geforce experience and continue playing your game knowing you have solved the problem.

Download link for geforce experience.
http://us.download.nvidia.com/GFE/GFEClient/3.4.0.70/GeForce_Experience_v3.4.0.70.exe

I can tell you straight, I get the Arkham Knight type of stuttering when I have GFE installed. Like it just skips every couple of seconds.
Please, just do this to see if it's the problem. Otherwise you're wasting your time.

I still don't get how it woukd only do this in one game, and not even the most demanding game I own anyway. But alright, I'll think about it.

6 minutes ago, MasontheDeathbat said:

I still don't get how it woukd only do this in one game, and not even the most demanding game I own anyway. But alright, I'll think about it.

Neither do I but that's what happens. The only other game it's cause a problem in for me is need for speed ( The 2015-2016 one)
Once you hit a certain speed, the game stutters and you eventually fall through the map.
Again, removing geforce experience solves the problem.

I'm curious, do most of these stutters happen when you are driving? If so then it sounds a lot like The problem I had with it.
I get it that you like the software for recording, as did I. Was nothing better than having a cool moment in a game and pressing a key to have it saved, but for me, I couldn't cope with that stutter and removed it. If you choose to keep it if it is the problem, then that's you choice, but like I said, at least you will know why the stuttering is happening and not bugging the shit out of you wondering what is causing it.

I7 4790K-----ASUS Z97-A-----GTX 1080-----CORSAIR H105-----CORSAIR VENGEANCE PRO 16GB-----ASUS PG278Q-----LOGITECH G900-----MASTERKEYS PRO L-----Sennheiser GSX 1000

12 minutes ago, leelaa14 said:

Neither do I but that's what happens. The only other game it's cause a problem in for me is need for speed ( The 2015-2016 one)
Once you hit a certain speed, the game stutters and you eventually fall through the map.
Again, removing geforce experience solves the problem.

I'm curious, do most of these stutters happen when you are driving? If so then it sounds a lot like The problem I had with it.
I get it that you like the software for recording, as did I. Was nothing better than having a cool moment in a game and pressing a key to have it saved, but for me, I couldn't cope with that stutter and removed it. If you choose to keep it if it is the problem, then that's you choice, but like I said, at least you will know why the stuttering is happening and not bugging the shit out of you wondering what is causing it.

They'll happen even if I'm not driving...so.

And I do benchmark and gaming videos, so with no recording software I'm fucked.

11 minutes ago, MasontheDeathbat said:

They'll happen even if I'm not driving...so.

And I do benchmark and gaming videos, so with no recording software I'm fucked.

I said mainly driving. Like it gets worse. Either way, it's still worth trying.
And like I said, you don't have to keep it uninstalled. The process of uninstalling, testing and reinstalling could probably be done in 30 minutes. Geforce experience isn't hard to re-install either.

5 hours ago, leelaa14 said:

I said mainly driving. Like it gets worse. Either way, it's still worth trying.
And like I said, you don't have to keep it uninstalled. The process of uninstalling, testing and reinstalling could probably be done in 30 minutes. Geforce experience isn't hard to re-install either.

I'd likely forget to reinstall because like I said, I'm already forgetful enough in regards to new drivers as is lol.

1 minute ago, MasontheDeathbat said:

I'd likely forget to reinstall because like I said, I'm already forgetful enough in regards to new drivers as is lol.

Well then, just assume the stutter is indeed down to geforce experience and live with it haha.
Maybe try turning off instant replay and recording and test then, not sure if that would help though as I just outright removed it and never tested it that way.

As of a couple days ago, I re-tested GTA V. This time around, the stuttering was completely eliminated (a new Nvidia driver had came out the day before) however there were also some weird performance bugs. GPU usage never wanted to go past 60% even when the CPU wasn't even close to maxed out (and I was NOT V-synced at all), and so settings that would usually net me about 70-80 FPS kept me in the 40-45 range. At least the stuttering was gone and I didn't even uninstall GeForce Experience.

I'm not at all convinced that the stuttering is not going to just come back during another session yet, because right after disabling the Xbox DVR the stuttering was eliminated, but a week or so later it came back, and now it's gone again.