Browser reject?

Alex Kovacs

Hello. I would like to make a website where you can only enter with Firefox or Chrome. I would like to have a GO that can be clickable only when on the proper browser.

There is no way to safely detect your browser identification. There is always a chance that the user agent string has been modified, and since the Internet Explorer (Edge) has mostly adapted standards by today, previously working CSS hacks won't work with current browsers either.

Write in C.

1 minute ago, Ficus said:

Hello. I would like to make a website where you can only enter with Firefox or Chrome. I would like to have a GO that can be clickable only when on the proper browser.

That's quite a big bitch slap to those Edge users.

There is no easy way to do this, in javascript/php you can identify the browser and then set if using edge > then redirect to error page requesting them to use a *real* browsers, shouldn't be hard if you know how :P

Oliy Barrett

Founder and Web Developer at discordbots.org

5 hours ago, Oliy said:

There is no easy way to do this, in javascript/php you can identify the browser and then set if using edge > then redirect to error page requesting them to use a *real* browsers, shouldn't be hard if you know how :P

or you can suck it up and actually build a website that works across all browsers.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

On 3/2/2017 at 4:28 AM, Ficus said:

This is not realistically achievable. I can spoof whatever browser I desire using Firefox or Chrome's Developer Console.

Is there a specific reason you want to restrict the site to Firefox users only? I personally don't use Firefox, so even I'd be unable to use it.

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

On 3/2/2017 at 6:28 AM, Ficus said:

What is your target audience for the website, and will it be actually open to the public?

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

40 minutes ago, kirashi said:

This is not realistically achievable. I can spoof whatever browser I desire using Firefox or Chrome's Developer Console.

Is there a specific reason you want to restrict the site to Firefox users only? I personally don't use Firefox, so even I'd be unable to use it.

21 minutes ago, straight_stewie said:

What is your target audience for the website, and will it be actually open to the public?

irrelevant, why would one ever want to limit access based on ones browser preference? 

If a feature doesn't work then that's the developers fault for not supporting one of the most widely used browsers.

2 hours ago, vorticalbox said:

irrelevant, why would one ever want to limit access based on ones browser preference? 

I was attempting to troll him and prove a point about how that feature would only attract people who could, and would, bring down his site...

ENCRYPTION IS NOT A CRIME

6 hours ago, straight_stewie said:

I was attempting to troll him and prove a point about how that feature would only attract people who could, and would, bring down his site...

fair enough. There is only one way, and that is to find a behavior that is only in each of the browser.  Chrome, or did I don't know not, used to print out any html it got in headers. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/03/2017 at 6:13 PM, vorticalbox said:

or you can suck it up and actually build a website that works across all browsers.

Well said

Oliy Barrett

Founder and Web Developer at discordbots.org