Can loose ram / wires cause burning smell?

unseenblade

,What specs do you have? Power supply specifically..

Why are your cables and ram loose? 

Community Standards || Tech News Posting Guidelines

---======================================================================---

CPU: R5 3600 || GPU: RTX 3070|| Memory: 32GB @ 3200 || Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken || PSU: 650W EVGA GM || Case: NR200P

PSU? 

Possibly VRMs? Check temperature of VRMs using HWINFO64

idk

3 minutes ago, harrybamber8 said:

Yes loose wires could cause a burning smell.. 

but why does it cause a burning smell?

can you post a picture of the said "loose wires/ram"

Main Desktop

Spoiler

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6GHz, Stock Cooler

MOBO: ASUS ROG STRIX B350 F Gaming motherboard

RAM: 32GB(4x8GB) Team T-FORCE Night Hawk RGB 3000MHz DDR4

GPU: ASUS ROG STRIX RTX 4070ti 12GB

STORAGE: 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo, 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 240GB WD Green M.2 SATA SSD

CASE: Montech King 95 Pro

PSU: Be Quiet! Straight Power 12 1000W

Monitor: Samsung Oddessy G6 27" 1440p, Viewsonic VX2455 144Hz

Mouse: Logitech G502 Lightspeed Wireless Mouse

Keyboard: ASUS Flare II Animate

Headphones: HyperX Cloud Alpha S Black

Microphone: HyperX Quadcast S

WIFI: ASUS PCE-AC55BT

https://au.pcpartpicker.com/user/johnno12/saved/gKgD23

Laptop:

Spoiler

Dell Inspiron 15-5000

CPU: i5-8250U Quadcore with hypertheading

GPU: AMD Radeon 540 4GB Hybrid Graphics

Storage: Micron 1100 SATA 256GB SSD

Just now, unseenblade said:

Due to high resistance. Making it more difficult for current to flow.  The end result is heat causing damage to insulation and wires

1 minute ago, johnno124 said:

can you post a picture of the said "loose wires/ram"

well they are in now and im not touching it again and have that scary burning smell come out again.

ram wasnt in perfect and so was another wire thats near my 24 pin i forgot the name of the wire

we cant help you very easily without more details

Main Desktop

Spoiler

STORAGE: 1TB Western Digital Blue HDD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda, 250GB Samsung 850 Evo, 1TB Samsung 970 Evo Plus, 240GB WD Green M.2 SATA SSD

Laptop:

Spoiler

Dell Inspiron 15-5000

well they are in now and im not touching it again and have that scary burning smell come out again.

ram wasnt in perfect and so was another wire thats near my 24 pin i forgot the name of the wire

I wouldn't turn it on again, can you tell us the story why the wires were loose or post a pic of the surrounding area?

Need more details

CPU: R5 5800X3D Motherboard - MSI X570 Gaming Plus RAM - 32GB Corsair DDR4 GPU - XFX 7900 XTX 4GB Case - NZXT H5 Flow (White) Storage - 2X 4TB Samsung 990 Pro PSU - Corsair RM100E Cooling - Corsair H100i Elite Capellix Keyboard Corsair K70 (Brown Switches)  Mouse - Corsair Nightsword RGB

10 minutes ago, harrybamber8 said:

@unseenblade If you could tell us the story we might figure out whats happeing

8 minutes ago, harrybamber8 said:

I wouldn't turn it on again, can you tell us the story why the wires were loose or post a pic of the surrounding area?

4 minutes ago, RevoltTrain said:

Need more details

8 minutes ago, johnno124 said:

we cant help you very easily without more details

welp enjoy the long story

i had a annoyance with my pc. when it was turned off my keyboard and mouse still  had power and i wanted them off. i asked you guys here for help people told me it wasnt possible for my mobo (asrock z170 pro4s) so i emailed asrock they told me go to bios go to these options, disable them. im like okay, so i went to disable them but it didnt work. I sent them another email saying hey it didnt work,...

they replied saying to enable deep sleep s4  - s5. im like okay sure, i enabled deep sleep. saved the settings and my computer turned off and did not turn on. i press the power it didnt turn on and i was getting very mad. i turned off power supply, turned it on, turned pc on and it did not work. (keep in mind my keyboarfd and mouse still lighting up while pc not being able to turn on.

after a lot of research and asking for help here i took out my ram for 1 hour and put it back (didnt work)

24 hours pass they email me back saying to reset the CMOs with the jumper. so i did that and i put my pc back together and boom my pc turned on! but i had no display on my monitor. so once again i asked for help on this site because you guys are smart and helped me pick out parts for my spicy ass PC that i have now. but anyways

when they told me to reset the CMOs they also said take out the battery which i didnt do since i couldnt take it out. so after realizing my monitor wasnt displaying anything im like maybe i did have to take out the battery. so i took out the battery (keep in mind im flipping my pc back and forth several times to work on it) and i took out the battery, wait 10 min, put it back and put my pc back together.

as soon as i turned it on i started to smell this burning smell and i got very scary that my pc will catch on fire so i turned my pc off and flicked the off switch on the power supply and then unplugged my pc and opened it up and started to smell everything. the smell came from the cpu cooler so i took out my cpu cooler to check whats wrong but everythin was clean. nice fresh spread of thermal paste (premium kind) and the wire / cpu cooler smelt burnt. so i put it back and turned pc on again and the smell came back and i started to look at everything on my mobo and i pushed down on the ram and the ram actually pushed down so i was like maybe this was loose? so i popped it open and smelled the ram and wow was that burning smell extremely strong on that ram. so i toook out both my rams, replaced them this time i wasnt a pussy and used force on the ram to lock it in place.

and also another wire popped out the mobo (its near my 24 pin wire idk the name) and i pushed it in very tight with force and i turned my pc on once more and the smell was weak. i wait it out and the smell went away figuring out loose ram ./ wire was my issue.

and also as for the monitor issue, i switched to HDMI and put it in GPU to my monitor and i can see my bios again , i checked my temps and they all seem fine.

i legit had a fire extinguisher in my room ready to use just in case. i spent like 1800 on this set up and i barely had it for 2 months to experience such problems

note to self: if anyone tells u to change option in bios (even if its the fucking company of your mobo) and u dont know what it is dont fucking touch it.

17 minutes ago, unseenblade said:

What do you mean by "loose wires"? Wires that are coming out of the connector, or wires that are able to move freely?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Godlygamer23 said:

What do you mean by "loose wires"? Wires that are coming out of the connector, or wires that are able to move freely?

like when u take a wire and put it in the mobo it was like loose, not in perfectly

like when u take a wire and put it in the mobo it was like loose, not in perfectly

You mean the connector? If the wires are loose in the connector, they should be pushed in, or the component sent back to the manufacturer. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

You mean the connector? If the wires are loose in the connector, they should be pushed in, or the component sent back to the manufacturer. 

well they all fit fine i used this pc over a month no issues. it became loose due to me flipping my pc so often and also i did lose the tiny jumper in my pc so i actually shaked my pc like crazy so that could of also had something come loose. its all fine tho thanks <3

idk what u mean connector im a bit of a noob to this

well they all fit fine i used this pc over a month no issues. it became loose due to me flipping my pc so often and also i did lose the tiny jumper in my pc so i actually shaked my pc like crazy so that could of also had something come loose. its all fine tho thanks <3

Because the connectors aren't particularly good when it comes to mounting, any time you expose the system to shaking, the connectors should be inspected to ensure they don't need to be reseated. Same goes with your RAM(and you should've also done an inspection of that as well to ensure they're fully seated in the slot).

2 minutes ago, unseenblade said:

You probably short circuited some especially due to smell of burning etc. 

a picture would help us more given that you can't name some of the connectors

Main Desktop

Spoiler

Laptop:

Spoiler

Dell Inspiron 15-5000

14 minutes ago, unseenblade said:

A connector is what terminate a wire so it can be connected into something, like this ;

e2011033072844.jpg

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !