Would a 1080ti Bottleneck a 4790k?

Synawke
1 minute ago, Natsoup said:

I'm getting 150-250 frames in csgo 1440p mostly high settings on an i5 and a 1070. Believe me I like muh frames too

thats too low though. I want like 500+

11 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Nah, it shouldn't. That's because the lowest resolution monitor to pair with a 1080Ti would be 1440p. NOBODY should purchase this GPU for 1080p, it'd be retarded.

Unless you want to practically lock 144 fps in every game, but yes I agree with your sentiment.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

Just now, Synawke said:

thats too low though. I want like 500+

I can't feel it after 225 or so lol

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Me at the Apple store: "So how fast is this little macbook?"

Apple employee: "Cheetah Fast. Lightning Fast. It's Really, really, fast."

Just now, Natsoup said:

I can't feel it after 225 or so lol

ah. I can. below 300 feels bad. 

Just now, ATFink said:

Unless you want to practically lock 144 fps in every game, but yes I agree with your sentiment.

Yeah, in theory yes, but who in the world would prefer to have 1080p 144fps locked over 1440p 144hz g-sync fluctuating from 80 to 120FPS? :P It'd be so smooth it wouldn't make any difference in that regard thanks to G-Sync...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, ATFink said:

Which is what i want.I want to at least be getting close to 144fps in almost all games at least

Just now, Synawke said:

Are you using vsync or something? I'm MGE, its not like I'm totally unable to aim or play. Maybe I'll try 4:3 stretchand see how many frames I can push and If it feels better.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Just now, Morgan MLGman said:

Yeah, in theory yes, but who in the world would prefer to have 1080p 144fps locked over 1440p 144hz g-sync fluctuating from 80 to 120FPS? :P It'd be so smooth it wouldn't make any difference in that regard thanks to G-Sync...

not 144fps locked. I never have any sort of sync on anything. i just dont limit fps and let it go over 144fps if it wants to lol. I dont like the input lag associated with any sort of "sync". And yeah id rather have a constant 144fps over fluctuating 80-120 even if it looked smooth cuz of g-sync

@Synawke  Too much FPS will actually crush your CPU... You will get stuttering and other shit. It'll be better if you can  lock @ 144fps and keep it there. The 1080 Ti won't be able to dip under this in 1080p.

1 minute ago, Natsoup said:

Are you using vsync or something? I'm MGE, its not like I'm totally unable to aim or play. Maybe I'll try 4:3 stretchand see how many frames I can push and If it feels better.

noooooo. no vsync ever on anything haha. If you feel 500+ fps you can 100% feel the difference 

Just now, tomotomov92 said:

@Synawke  Too much FPS will actually crush your CPU... You will get stuttering and other shit. It'll be better if you can  lock @ 144fps and keep it there. The 1080 Ti won't be able to dip under this in 1080p.

I never get any stuttering or anything. very little screen tearing because of the 144hz too. I dont like input lag so i never limit anything. And the more fps = feels more smooth so i like that

2 minutes ago, Synawke said:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not, but the highest refresh rate computer monitor in existence is 240 Hz. You literally can't see anything past 240 fps right now. If you have a 144 Hz monitor you literally can't see past 144 fps because the monitor can not physically display it. Maybe the higher fps average increases the fps count of the lowest dip and this makes it feel faster?

2 minutes ago, tomotomov92 said:

*In most situations*

2 minutes ago, Synawke said:

noooooo. no vsync ever on anything haha. If you feel 500+ fps you can 100% feel the difference 

Yeah, I never touch vsync either. I'll give it a shot upon my return to the barracks tonight.

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Just now, ATFink said:

I can't tell if this is a joke or not, but the highest refresh rate computer monitor in existence is 240 Hz. You literally can't see anything past 240 fps right now. If you have a 144 Hz monitor you literally can't see past 144 fps because the monitor can not physically display it. Maybe the higher fps average increases the fps count of the lowest dip and this makes it feel faster?

its not a joke. It feels smoother when you have more FPS. even if its higher than the monitor can display

It changes input delay, by like 10ms per 100 frames or something similar to that

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Just now, Natsoup said:

Yeah, I never touch vsync either. I'll give it a shot upon my return to the barracks tonight.

Yeah try a KZ map or surf. something easy to get higher fps on. Lower the res and play low settings. its feels good 

Just now, Synawke said:

Yeah try a KZ map or surf. something easy to get higher fps on. Lower the res and play low settings. its feels good 

Get 400 frames ez on most old surf maps

qυoтe мe pleaѕe!

Just now, Synawke said:

its not a joke. It feels smoother when you have more FPS. even if its higher than the monitor can display

Can you explain how that is possible to me? It seriously sounds like a placebo effect to me. Displaying >144 fps on a screen that caps at 144 Hz shouldn't be possible unless the screen updates different parts of the panel at different times... but that would induce screen tearing.

Can you explain how that is possible to me? It seriously sounds like a placebo effect to me. Displaying >144 fps on a screen that caps at 144 Hz shouldn't be possible unless the screen updates different parts of the panel at different times... but that would induce screen tearing.

It is not about the frames, it is all about reducing mouse input lag, the higher the frames regardless if they are being showed or not the fast the pointer will refresh regardless, making aiming on CS:GO for instance faster, if you v-sync on 60fps you will feel your aiming a tad slower than if 200+ fps even on a 60hz monitor, although for the rest of the moving going on in the screen then yes you are still limited to the 60frames.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Just now, ATFink said:

It doesnt actually display more frames. And its not a placebo effect either. Watch this. its explains it fairly well. It really only MATTERS in competitive FPS but i like it in all games

Thanks for the feedback. It is much appreciated.

The "unless you are Ubisoft" at the end of the video was hysterical!:D

You could measure what's going on if you have a highspeed camera and record your mouse, keyboard, and screen independently. Splice the videos so they line up at the same time and count the frames between delays in both high and low refresh rate scenarios. You could do this with like 2 or 3 cameras at ~1000 fps one for each physical Input/output, sync the frames using an arduino that starts a timer and detects the time in milliseconds between when each camera started so you know how much footage to trim in the beginning of the first 2 cameras recordings. This'll prove what is going on and what is just speculation.

• 1 year later...