So this guy and I are having a "debate" about frame rate?

Theminecraftaddict555

Due to my limited knowledge on technologies, I need some help here to see if i am right or wrong and who is right

So he and I are debating about this on this video: ignore my cringy username if you see it ;)

*YouTube video removed*

So he states that GTA V for the new intel pentium g4560 with a modern gpu should be locked at 30fps since 60fps is too taxing for it and that it would limit the bottleneck and states that this is a "low end" cpu

While i can't speak for the bottleneck, I argue that the cpu is nowhere near a low end cpu (if you call that cpu a low end, then i guess the i3 6100 is considered a low end too then) and that is has hyperthreading making its performance very similar to the i3 6100.  I also argue that modern cpus should be able to handle 60fps if they have enough resources to do so but it might depend on application

" PC would run 30fps much better. I prefer a locked fps with good framerates over a variable framerate with dodgy framerates. Plus, it would be easier for the CPU. "

I was confused by this statement? Was he talking about 30fps in general or the pentium g4560 setup in this video? 

Either way IMO, I doubt anyone would want to play 30fps on a PC game anyway and just simply go for the 60fps v-sync even if the computer can't reach up to the 60fps mark 

Edited by wkdpaul
YT video removed

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

I get his point. He doesnt want to deal with Frame-Drops. It might get limited by locking the fps to 30, but the gameplay overall at 30 sucks.

Just uncap it or turn on vsync if you really need it. capping down to 30 is bs.

Budget Rig "Curable":     | FX 6300 @4.5Ghz | Asus R9 270x | Asus Crosshair IV Extreme | 16GB HyperX Beast | 120GB PNY SSD

Tablet "Buddy":                 Trekstor Wintron 10.1|

6 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

All capping it at 30 really does is save on power/heat, should still be much smoother overall having it just be as fast as it can get, even if it's not a stable 60fps

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

For starters, that is a low end CPU. Low end doesnt mean bad, it just means that the CPU is lower grade than mainstream i5s and i7s. The higher the FPS the better, i see no reason to cap at 30. While it may not be able to hold consistently at 60fps, it should be close most of the time. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

whatever makes them happy 

Yeah i did state whatever works for him but that doesn't justify that 60fps "looks better" and I still question the "low end cpu" statement tho 

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

1 minute ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Yeah i did state whatever works for him but that doesn't justify that 60fps "looks better" and his statement about the "low end cpu" 

The G4560 itself should be able to do well over 60fps with a better GPU in any case

Gaming_08.png

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

Just now, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

Yeah i did state whatever works for him but that doesn't justify that 60fps "looks better" and his statement about the "low end cpu" 

doesn't really matter it's his experience

Yeah fps fluctions above 30 fps won't matter as much, you amy notice some fps fluctions but its only really bad once you drop below that 30fps point, from my own experience.

1 minute ago, RAM555789 said:

Yeah fps fluctions above 30 fps won't matter as much, you amy notice some fps fluctions but its only really bad once you drop below that 30fps point, from my own experience.

*Fluctuation(s)

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

Just now, Brennan_Price said:

*Fluctuation(s)

Meh, spellings never been a strong suite of mine. I've always been better at math and science.

1 minute ago, RAM555789 said:

Meh, spellings never been a strong suite of mine. I've always been better at math and science.

Haha alright, just thought you might want to know for future reference xD

My Rig:

Xeon E5 1680 V2 @ 4.5GHz - Asus Rampage IV Extreme X79 Mobo - 64GB DDR3 1600MHz - 8 x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Low Profile - CAS 10-10-10-27 - AMD Radeon RX 6700XT Sapphire Pulse 12GB - DeepCool E-Shield E-ATX Tempered Glass Case - 1 x 1TB Crucial P1 NVMe SSD - BeQuiet Straight Power 11 850W Gold+ Quad rail - Fractal Design Celsius S36 & 6 x 120mm silent fans - Lenovo KBBH21 - Corsair Glaive RGB Pro - Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Monitors - 3 x Acer Nitro 23.8" 1080p 75Hz IPS 1ms Freesync Panels = AMD Eyefinity @ 75Hz

37 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

So he states that GTA V for the new intel pentium g4560 with a modern gpu should be locked at 30fps since 60fps is too taxing for it and that it would limit the bottleneck and states that this is a "low end" cpu

The G4560 is at the "low end" of the Kaby Lake CPU generation. It may not be able to hold tight to 60 FPS at all times in GTA V, but it's probably going to do far better than 30 FPS most of the time.

37 minutes ago, Theminecraftaddict555 said:

" PC would run 30fps much better. I prefer a locked fps with good framerates over a variable framerate with dodgy framerates. Plus, it would be easier for the CPU. "

I've heard this before, and it probably depends on the circumstances. Personally, I've had relatively low/mid hardware until very recently (I had a GTX 460 way longer than I should have), and I have never felt the need to lock my framerate to 30 rather than achieve whatever I can in the 40–60 range. Maybe it's possible for your frame time variance to be so bad that a locked 30 actually feels better, but to me that seems like such a contrived and unlikely scenario as to be irrelevant.

I'd personally shoot for whatever framerate a G4560 can attain in GTA V and leave it variable. I think it's going to run far better than 30 FPS the vast majority of the time. It's probably going to hit 60 FPS fairly often. You can try locking it to 30 and see if that feels better to you, but I personally would be very surprised if it did.

There are people who you can state all the physical facts to, and they still take their own "perception" because their experience was adequate enough for them.  Comfort has a long standing strength, even if it is not factually correct or not accepted by a majority.  Nothing wrong with people choosing what they feel comfortable with.  That's how we get entertaining sites like 'People of Walmart'.

The thread was moved to the PC Gaming section.

The YouTube video was removed, as per the Community Standards

Twitch/YouTube links are only allowed in user profile status updates

If you need help with your forum account, please use the Forum Support form !