Is it better to use x2 dual gpu cards or x4 single gpu cards?

Is it better to use x2 dual gpu cards or x4 single gpu cards? Like how about wattage or price if compared?

For what purpose?

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

1 minute ago, DeadEyePsycho said:

For what purpose?

Mostly for video rendering and a little bit of gaming.

5 minutes ago, RandomWS said:

Video editing doesn't need that much gpu. A single fast gpu will be better in most programs. Gaming is 2 gpus max these days. I'd get a single fast gpu before you get 2. 

Both is useless for Gaming.

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

Most video editing software doesn't use the GPU that much. If you look at reviews and benchmarks you'll see that there's hardly a difference between using a 1060 and a 1080 for instance. Having a dedicated graphics card is great, but which one doesn't make that much difference. 

For gaming a single GPU is usually better as well, unless you already have a Titan X and that's not enough for you....

Does you mum know you're here?

Just now, Electronics Wizardy said:

Video editing doesn't need that much gpu. A single fast gpu will be better in most programs. Gaming is 2 gpus max these days. I'd get a single fast gpu before you get 2. 

With the way things are going with Nvidia, a single high power GPU is the best course. Also, If you're wanting the second GPU for rendering and gaming at the same time, you'll need a beefy CPU for that. Don't bother.

12 minutes ago, RandomWS said:

Is it better to use x2 dual gpu cards or x4 single gpu cards? Like how about wattage or price if compared?

what in the world are you planning on buying? what dual gpu solution isn't archaic at this point?

5 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

what in the world are you planning on buying? what dual gpu solution isn't archaic at this point?

To be fair the 6990 and the 690 are still pretty beastly if cheap enough, comparable to a 1060

16 minutes ago, RandomWS said:

You'd be better off investing in cores, imo. Instead of picking up a second 1080, it might be worth looking at a higher-end X99 platform like a 6850K instead.

1 minute ago, Ethan Meskin said:

To be fair the 6990 and the 690 are still pretty beastly if cheap enough, comparable to a 1060

Yes, but the spike in your homeowners insurance rates after a pair of overclocked 690s burn your house down would more than make up any savings.

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

2 minutes ago, Ethan Meskin said:

not if you pay for your own electric bill. you'd say the difference in cost pretty quick if you went with a newer gpu with similar performance. plus its just plain impractical. 

**sorry for the late response**

Thanks so much for your response, I was just curious.