24 TB PCIe x4 SSD?

WMGroomAK

I know we all need tons of extremely fast storage, so who wants a 24 TB PCIe x4 SSD?  NGD Systems is preparing to launch such a massive drive called the Catalina SSD.

NGD_Catalina_SSD_678_678x452.jpg

According to the Anandtech article (http://www.anandtech.com/show/11146/ngd-launches-catalina-a-24-tb-pcie-ssd):

The NGD Catalina is a large add-in-card with a PCIe 3.0 x4 interface that also supports a Mezzanine connector. Rather than have the NAND on the main card, instead the card uses multiple M.2 modules with Micron’s 3D TLC NAND. The 24 TB version of Catalina carries 12 of such modules, whereas lower capacity SKUs will use a fewer modules. According to NGD, the Catalina consumes only 0.65 W of power per Terabyte (which means ~15.6 W for the 24 TB SSD), but the card still has a 4-pin auxiliary power connector.

Of course with the price for current PCIe SSDs, I can only imagine that this will be limited to enterprise data centers, like Google for the forseeable future, but who wouldn't want Linus to get ahold of one (or more) of these to put in the Server Room he's been cleaning up... xD

Edited by WMGroomAK
Wrong source quoted, should be Anandtech, not Ars Technica

It'll probably be enormously expensive, but fuck me I've been bitching at Intel for a year to stop fucking around and put out a high capacity 3D TLC drive.  But noooooo, they still live in a fantasy world where 1TB is all that a consumer could need.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

5 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

It'll probably be enormously expensive, but fuck me I've been bitching at Intel for a year to stop fucking around and put out a high capacity 3D TLC drive.  But noooooo, they still live in a fantasy world where 1TB is all that a consumer could need.

I think it's one of those things like quad cores only for the mainstream line up that, for 99%, it is all they need.  Once someone unveils an affordable alternative though, things will quickly change as people realize how nice it is, even if it's only a nice to have.

Solve your own audio issues  |  First Steps with RPi 3  |  Humidity & Condensation  |  Sleep & Hibernation  |  Overclocking RAM  |  Making Backups  |  Displays  |  4K / 8K / 16K / etc.  |  Do I need 80+ Platinum?

If you can read this you're using the wrong theme.  You can change it at the bottom.

9 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

Well considering their top dog DC P3608 still tops out at 4TB. Granted it is 5000/3000 read/write, and it's PCI-E x8. That thing runs $9k

Now that I think about it I don't think that they have anything over 4TB. I haven't checked though.

What I find interesting on this is the scalability of the actual card.  It looks like you are getting a PCIe x4 card that you can scale with multiple 2TB M.2 chips on board so that may actually help with the price.

3 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

Well considering their top dog DC P3608 still tops out at 4TB. Granted it is 5000/3000 read/write, and it's PCI-E x8. That thing runs $9k

Now that I think about it I don't think that they have anything over 4TB. I haven't checked though.

16TB P4500 that is about to launch, but it'll probably be a million dollars or some absurd figure.  The consumer side is going to top out this year at 1.5TB.

Workstation:  14700nonk || Asus Z790 ProArt Creator || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || Crucial Pro Overclocking 32GB @ 5600 || Corsair AX1600i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

For home storage, I'm running in the 40TB range.  I do a lot of work with videos and also have a Plex server.  I wouldn't be able to afford something like this once released, but the fact that it is there will drive the cost of other technology down making my storage requirements much cheaper to implement and expand.  I only recently was able to afford an SSD cache for my RAID setup.  AMAZING difference in accessibility.  40TB on a budget is not easy.  Trying to access it at reasonable speeds, within a budget, is just barely on the border of fantasy.

2 minutes ago, Doramius said:

For home storage, I'm running in the 40TB range.  I do a lot of work with videos and also have a Plex server.  I wouldn't be able to afford something like this once released, but the fact that it is there will drive the cost of other technology down making my storage requirements much cheaper to implement and expand.  I only recently was able to afford an SSD cache for my RAID setup.  AMAZING difference in accessibility.  40TB on a budget is not easy.  Trying to access it at reasonable speeds, within a budget, is just barely on the border of fantasy.

40TB SSD in total storage? Jesus christ.. xD

"Ryzen is doing really well in 1440p and 4K gaming when the applications are more graphics bound" - Dr. Lisa Su, 2017

3 minutes ago, AnonymousGuy said:

16TB P4500 that is about to launch, but it'll probably be a million dollars or some absurd figure.  The consumer side is going to top out this year at 1.5TB.

It will definately be expensive. I hadn't heard about that specific one though. 

However this one looks to basically be a controller card with a crap ton of m.2 slots on board. Good for expandability, also takes away a lot of the need for giant back planes and a lot of cables.

10 minutes ago, Dylanc1500 said:

It will definately be expensive. I hadn't heard about that specific one though. 

However this one looks to basically be a controller card with a crap ton of m.2 slots on board. Good for expandability, also takes away a lot of the need for giant back planes and a lot of cables.

Hopefully one of those m.2's doesn't fail.  What a B*#ch to replace on a live system.

It will be good... but not good enough.... with only 4 lanes... its a waste to have all these m.2 drives in... look at the 960 evo or 960pro.. they MAX the pci 3.0 4x lanes.... so now there is no more bandwith for the rest of the SSD attached???? what a complete waste... what they should have done is to make it 16x lanes.. to "attack" 4 SSD's at full speed! this is useless

8 minutes ago, Doramius said:

Hopefully one of those m.2's doesn't fail.  What a B*#ch to replace on a live system.

I thought the same thing. It would be great if you could run it 12/12 raid 1. At that point you would get some kind of redundancy. Then again most that would get something like this, would get multiple.

5 minutes ago, kladzen said:

It will be good... but not good enough.... with only 4 lanes... its a waste to have all these m.2 drives in... look at the 960 evo or 960pro.. they MAX the pci 3.0 4x lanes.... so now there is no more bandwith for the rest of the SSD attached???? what a complete waste... what they should have done is to make it 16x lanes.. to "attack" 4 SSD's at full speed! this is useless

While the drives will be limited to around 3.9 GB/s read/write performance, supposedly they will be optimized for read tasks.  My guess is that they will mainly be deployed to something like Netflix and other media servers where read performance is going to be a major factor. If NGD uses their In-Situ computing architecture on the card, it may allow for better access to the media since part of the data search and access tasks are off loaded from the CPU to the card.

4 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

While the drives will be limited to around 3.9 GB/s read/write performance, supposedly they will be optimized for read tasks.  My guess is that they will mainly be deployed to something like Netflix and other media servers where read performance is going to be a major factor. If NGD uses their In-Situ computing architecture on the card, it may allow for better access to the media since part of the data search and access tasks are off loaded from the CPU to the card.

Now this is the card they need....

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/enterprise-storage/solid-state-drives/nytro-xp7200-nvme-add-in-card/#features

10GB/sec read - 3.6GB/sec write - 8TB... they would just expand the so there are more space for more SSD m.2 drives

1 hour ago, AnonymousGuy said:

I'm fine with my 500GB drive... Hell, I never filled my old machine's 256GB drive

13 minutes ago, kladzen said:

Now this is the card they need....

http://www.seagate.com/gb/en/enterprise-storage/solid-state-drives/nytro-xp7200-nvme-add-in-card/#features

10GB/sec read - 3.6GB/sec write - 8TB... they would just expand the so there are more space for more SSD m.2 drives

While this would also be nice to have, the biggest issue would be the scalability of it.  Yes, you get 10 GB/s on PCIe x16, however, if you use 3 of these cards to reach the ~24 TB of the NGD solution, you begin to saturate the PCIe lanes of a server. I guess the question for NGD would be why they decided to go with a x4 solution over x16...

2 minutes ago, WMGroomAK said:

While this would also be nice to have, the biggest issue would be the scalability of it.  Yes, you get 10 GB/s on PCIe x16, however, if you use 3 of these cards to reach the ~24 TB of the NGD solution, you begin to saturate the PCIe lanes of a server. I guess the question for NGD would be why they decided to go with a x4 solution over x16...

It's possible they did it for the card form factor.  16x requires the use of a full length slot.  I've seen a lot of the flash caches with boards using slots for 8x or 4x.  This is possibly for space, cost, or both.  I can see it making sense for budget enterprise in small closets.  I'm only speculating.  I, too, was wondering why it wasn't 16x, though. :shrug:

26 minutes ago, Doramius said:

It's possible they did it for the card form factor.  16x requires the use of a full length slot.  I've seen a lot of the flash caches with boards using slots for 8x or 4x.  This is possibly for space, cost, or both.  I can see it making sense for budget enterprise in small closets.  I'm only speculating.  I, too, was wondering why it wasn't 16x, though. :shrug:

Making a controller that can deliver 16x the speed of a single M.2 SSD would be difficult and expensive.

Mineral oil and 40 kg aluminium heat sinks are a perfect combination: 73 cores and a Titan X, Twenty Thousand Leagues Under the Oil

6 minutes ago, Stefan1024 said:

Making a controller that can deliver 16x the speed of a single M.2 SSD would be difficult and expensive.

They do exist... for enterprises.. due to the massive speeds... see my post.. 10GB/sec read and 3.6GB write... so not's difficult... its just expensive because its for enterprises... they have a different demand

I mean, all great. But I just hope to see SSD prices continue to drop and drop more significantly, hopefully won't have to wait too long.

I want to get 1TB and not the cheapest option, but more like 850 Pro heh.

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |