Server rack

ted tech

Hey guys, does anyone know what kind of rails Linus uses in his one video.  I remember they snapped in place, instead of screwing them in.

4 minutes ago, ted tech said:

Hey guys, does anyone know what kind of rails Linus uses in his one video.  I remember they snapped in place, instead of screwing them in.

I would like to know as well. My current rails are very inconvenient to use.

Main RIG: i7 4770k ~ 4.8Ghz | Intel HD Onboard (enough for my LoL gaming) | Samsung 960 Pro 256GB NVMe | 32GB (4x 8GB) Kingston Savage 2133Mhz DDR3 | MSI Z97 Gaming 7 | ThermalTake FrioOCK | MS-Tech (puke) 700W | Windows 10 64Bit

Mining RIG: AMD A6-9500 | ASRock AB350 Pro | 4GB DDR4 | 500GB 2.5 Inch HDD | 2x MSI AERO GTX 1060 6GB (Core/Memory/TDP/Avg Temp +160/+800/120%/45c) | 1x Asus Strix GTX 970 (+195/+400/125%/55c) | 1x KFA2 GTX 960 (+220/+500/120%/70c) | Corsair GS800 800W | HP HSTNS-PD05 1000W | (Modded) Inter-Tech IPC 4U-4129-N Rackmount Case

Guest RIG: FX6300 | AMD HD7870 | Kingston HyperX 128GB SSD | 16GB (2x 8GB) G.Skill Ripjaws 1600Mhz DDR3 | Some ASRock 970 Mobo | Stock Heatsink | some left over PSU  | Windows 10 64Bit

VM Server: HP Proliant DL160 G6 | 2x Intel Xeon E5620 @ 2.4Ghz 4c/8t (8c/16t total) | 16GB (8x 2GB) HP 1066Mhz ECC DDR3 | 2x Western Digital Black 250GB HDD | VMWare ESXI

Storage Node: 2x Intel Xeon E5520 @ 2.27Ghz 4c/8t (8c/16t total) | Intel ServerBoard S5500HCV | 36GB (9x 4GB) 1333Mhz ECC DDR3 | 3x Seagate 2TB 7200RPM | 4x Western Digital Caviar Green 2TB

I'm sure he mentioned it in some video, and he is quite talkative when it comes to server stuff so just might ask him. @LinusTech 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

1 hour ago, ted tech said:

Usually server have rails made specifically for them by the manufacturer. If the company has it, they're called quick mount rails. For example, my SuperMicro server has them, but my Eaton UPS doesn't (It doesn't have a sliding rail though).

Just note that server rails tend to cost a lot....$80 per set of rails for my SuperMicro server...

On 2/28/2017 at 0:41 AM, ted tech said:

99% of the time they are case specific. All my HP gear is the tool-less rails, which are great. I know alot of other OEM stuff is also similar.

On 2/28/2017 at 5:31 AM, scottyseng said:

Usually server have rails made specifically for them by the manufacturer. If the company has it, they're called quick mount rails. For example, my SuperMicro server has them, but my Eaton UPS doesn't (It doesn't have a sliding rail though).

Just note that server rails tend to cost a lot....$80 per set of rails for my SuperMicro server...

As above,  All the tier one manufacturers have them, except in the case of UPS's where the weights are too high, so need to be bolted in instead.

The second tier manufacturers either have cheap screw in rails, or the trend now if they an't going for the cheap and nasty market is to simply use Supermicro rails on their servers, (Why re-invent the wheel)

48 minutes ago, Erkel said:

-snip-

Ah, thanks for clearing up why the Eaton UPS I have uses bolted rails. It does make since because my UPS is hands down the heaviest thing on my rack.

I can't blame them, the first time I bought rails for my server chassis (Never owned a server rack before), I was wondering why the rails were pretty expensive...well, they're super heavy weight (At least compared to the usual ones we use for cabinets).

15 minutes ago, scottyseng said:

Ah, thanks for clearing up why the Eaton UPS I have uses bolted rails. It does make since because my UPS is

hands down the heaviest thing on my rack.

If you look at the APC rails for example, the nuts that you screw into are in the rails themselfs, so the weight is directly coupled from the rail to the rack,  Thus avoiding the issue of having cage nuts bearing the weight.   With quick mount rails you generally rely on small metal tabs to support the weight, or with screw in type typically case nuts, both of which are not suitable when talking about heavy UPS's (~250KG UPS at work that was originally rack mounted in a previously life.)