PSVR has sold almost a million units, nearly double Rift and Vive combined in only 4 months

Shepanator
9 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

Yeah. It has a ton of improvements to be made. Following Gabe's plan for VR, I have a lot of hope for it. He even believes that VR will have higher res displays and refresh rates than any monitors on the market. 

Right now what they really need is a fix for all the glitches and bugs, you can have the best of the best hardware, but without the software behind it the hardware is useless. And I have not read Gabe's comments on vr, but this does sound promising. 

(Also on a side note, if you have a watch in game to indicate health or whatever PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE DEVELOPERS also put the time on the watch.)

11 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

In regards to your first comment, I agree but there are some that are plenty active. For example, Rec Room always has a ton on. Pavlov just released and in the first hour it had about 100 concurrent players and it was just an early access game. (its actually really fucking fun too).

I'm not going to lie, I now have Pavlov downloading. How did I miss that? 

But some games I agree has enough online at any time, but the fact that more games then not in my experience does not, it is mildly frustrating. First world problems eh?

Also, this might just be me, but almost every game I connect to online has super high ping, as does anyone in the UK I come across (when compared to the likes of those located in the us). I don't know if this is just a severe case of coincidence or what. 

23 minutes ago, imreloadin said:

You mean more PS4 exclusives right? Because we all know that's where this is heading...

For the love of God please no, Sony doesn't need more to screw up

22 minutes ago, christianled59 said:

Nah. PSVR is so limited IMO. I'm a partner with Sony, but I still prefer to develop for the Vive and Oculus. Mostly because my vr philosophy is to use as much roomscale as possible to maximize immersion. PSVR has practically no room for any sort of roomscale.

I'm glad that you're that way. Other development studios will step in line once they get dat sweet sweet Sony money for making their title an exclusive.

9 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

Closer to an RX 480 hitting it's boost clock of 1266MHz - 5.8TFLOPs. At stock settings, the 1070 can hit 6.5.

It's enough to drive VR acceptably, in most of today's titles, but PC VR is actually pretty demanding for how simplistic the graphics are. A resolution of 1080x1200 x2 (2160x1200), @ 90hz to try to avoid some motion sickness, while needing to render an image twice, from two slightly different perspectives, isn't exactly a walk in the park for entry level VR GPUs. Big reason the PS4 can do it at all is because the panel is dropped to 1080p, and the few decently performing games are pretty well optimized to do it.

Either way, even an RX480 OC'd to hell would be a very big improvement over current gen consoles - or even the PS4 Pro.

A PS4 Pro can do about 4.12 TFLOPS

http://www.trustedreviews.com/opinions/xbox-scorpio-vs-ps4-pro

The RX 480 does 5.2 TFLOPS base clock, 5.8 TFLOPS boost clock

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AMD_Radeon_400_series

The GTX 1070 does 5.8 TFLOPS base clock, and 6.5 TFLOPS boost clock

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GeForce_10_series

My point being that a GTX 1070 can do pretty kickass VR - I know first hand, because the PC we built for our Vive at work has one, and is running standard GPU Boost (No manual OC), and it's pretty much flawless. I don't think I've yet to experience any frame dips in the games we've tried.

There can of course be some games that may experience dips. Things like Project Cars or Elite Dangerous might - I can't say, since we don't have those games to test.

So if Scorpio can come close to that performance in a Console - and since it'll be a next gen console, prices should be somewhat similar to the launch prices of PS4 and XBO - that's a massive improvement, and a massive win for VR as a whole.

We also still know very little about the Scorpio, and as always, hardware is subject to changes or tweaks.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

But why? It's complete shit.

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

22 hours ago, WolfoftheShadow7465 said:

the price of the vive and rift is high, but the true price is the computer, the psvr sells so well because its only 400 on top of the ps4 you probably already have, meaning instead of needing a $1500 computer you can use your ps4

You can run an Oculus Rift on a $400 prebuilt computer. Maybe not optimal, you might want to spend $600-700, but it will absolutely work on a $400 PC. There is absolutely no reason to waste $1500 on a PC just for VR.

With this bundle, you can get into PC VR for $999.

To me VR is mostly a gimmick like something you would see from Nintendo. 

That is until it becomes the holodeck.

21 hours ago, rhavimarques said:

that also means the games coming out for psvr will likely be more "neat experience" instead of lasting games that can drive a market.

i just don't see how a ps4 can handle high framerates and resolution AND compelling game experience.

it doesnt. It simply runs at 45 or 60 FPS 1080p, then the breakout box does frame doubling to get 90-120Hz refresh. The end result is low latency high framerate image. It works, not perfect but works.

It simply shows that there is more then one way to the goal. One that doesn't cost a small fortune,

10 hours ago, imreloadin said:

You mean more PS4 exclusives right? Because we all know that's where this is heading...

AFAIK PS4 VR uses AMDs liquidVR + PS4s proprietary DX12 esque API

You must also remember that if VR takes off in consoles, and proves to be a worthwhile investment, more developers are going to try port it to PC. Currently there is too much stacked against PC due to adoption costs etc.

Cheapest VR setup you can do for PC (off the shelves components, NOT used parts):
https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vXV6LD

So 1500-1600$ with a RIFT.

Yes, you can get even cheaper mobo, case, PSU, shittier monitor if you plan to NEVER use the monitor for anything else then diagnostics and web browsing... but fact remains, you arent getting any VR ready setup for much less then 1450$... at that point it is dangerously underpowered and wont even last until next gen VR games arrive.

Can flame Sony for proprietary, vendor lock in, forced to pay for network features... but fact remains, PS4 Pro + PS VR + 1 year PS Pluss = 869$.... meaning you will at any point have 650-750$ worth of money to buy VR games for that console before you hit PC prices.

RYZEN + VEGA should knock the VR entry system cost down to maybe 1200-1350$, but even then we wont match a console at price for THIS generation. However, time will show. Next gen HMDs should be cheaper to make. Hopefully HTC/Valve and Occulus has learnt that they NEED a "baseline" model. Perhaps a cheaper panel and cheaper materials... PSVR is all plastic and still got praise for its solid construction :|

12 hours ago, SamStrecker said:

It also sucks compared to the Oculus and Vive

depends how you see it. All reviews ive seen say the same thing; smoother image (due to having RGB + conventional lens vs Fresnel + pentile display) and better wear comfort. You sacrifice image crispness to get this. Obviously, the VR headset could run at PC details, if you had a PC with PSVR drivers. So game detail cannot be blamed on PSVR, but rather PS4. 

13 hours ago, rhavimarques said:

Let me try to make clear what i think:

i'm not saying graphical horsepower has anything to do with a compelling game experience (though it does help), and i'm not saying Job Simulator isn't a fun game. What i'm saying is the games in PSVR, because of technical limitations, will all fall within this "fun, neat, interesting concept" kinds of games...

at least sound to me, since i have not tried it, only tried the vive.

and while having these little quirky games are fun, i don't think these are the types of games that people pour hundreds to thousands of hours on, the skyrims and the witchers and the world of warcraft types of games - i think those games will come for the vive, eventually, and that is what will make that platform explode, and i don't see the PSVR having the horsepower to host such games.

i could be totally wrong, but its what i think.

i think for consoles, the main cashcow games will be racing games and 1st person platformers. The ecosystem for racing games on console is "more refined" i dare say, then on PC. Not that the PC games aren't good, but the consoles just has that whole thing locked down through pedigree, easily accessible and affordable accessories (like, there is cheap wheels and pedals for PC too, but damn they suck ass. Even a 50$ kit for my old PS1 was better built).... That being said, Driveclub VR seems like a disappointment. We will see how things turn out once GT Sport and perhaps Need for Speed adapts VR.

54 minutes ago, Prysin said:

it doesnt. It simply runs at 45 or 60 FPS 1080p, then the breakout box does frame doubling to get 90-120Hz refresh. The end result is low latency high framerate image. It works, not perfect but works.

It simply shows that there is more then one way to the goal. One that doesn't cost a small fortune,

oh wow, did not know that.

that's kinda disgusting.

so the frames are there, but the movement isn't? as an animator myself... that's weird.

i'd definantly get an F in class if i did that xD

16 minutes ago, rhavimarques said:

oh wow, did not know that.

that's kinda disgusting.

so the frames are there, but the movement isn't? as an animator myself... that's weird.

i'd definantly get an F in class if i did that xD

you'd get an F if the teacher could spot the difference. You'd get an A if they didnt.

Do you think you could tell if it was fake or not at 90-120Hz? This isnt like telling 60 vs 120 apart. Because due to how VR updates, it will discard any frame it needs to due to latency. So you could discard frame #2 in order to update with a fresh frame due to head movement.

It's also the same way G-Sync operates once you drop below 30 FPS...

But hey, you could simply make an animation that runs at 60 and at 120 FPS, with the 120Hz being a dead perfectly timed doubling. Aka from 16.67ms to 8.835ms per frame, then show it to people and ask them which is which.

2 hours ago, Sakkura said:

You can run an Oculus Rift on a $400 prebuilt computer. Maybe not optimal, you might want to spend $600-700, but it will absolutely work on a $400 PC. There is absolutely no reason to waste $1500 on a PC just for VR.

With this bundle, you can get into PC VR for $999.

i will admit for cheaper you can get into vr, but that bundle no, an fx-4350 with an rx 470? that barely meets minimum specs, it will be an ok experience for maybe a few months before an update destroys its ability to run a game well because the min specs went up

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

Yes, you can get even cheaper mobo, case, PSU, shittier monitor if you plan to NEVER use the monitor for anything else then diagnostics and web browsing... but fact remains, you arent getting any VR ready setup for much less then 1450$... at that point it is dangerously underpowered and wont even last until next gen VR games arrive.

i5 6400 and RX 480

Spoiler

Quiet Whirl | CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Mobo: MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3200 Mhz Graphics card: MSI GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER GAMING X TRIO PSU: Corsair RMx Series RM550x Case: Be quiet! Pure Base 600

Buffed HPHP ProBook 430 G4 | CPU: Intel Core i3-7100U RAM: 4GB DDR4 2133Mhz GPU: Intel HD 620 SSD: Some 128GB M.2 SATA

Retired:

Melting plastic | Lenovo IdeaPad Z580 | CPU: Intel Core i7-3630QM RAM: 8GB DDR3 GPU: nVidia GeForce GTX 640M HDD: Western Digital 1TB

The Roaring Beast | CPU: Intel Core i5 4690 (BCLK @ 104MHz = 4,05GHz) Cooler: Akasa X3 Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-Z97-D3H RAM: Kingston 16GB DDR3 (2x8GB) Graphics card: Gigabyte GTX 970 4GB (Core: +130MHz, Mem: +230MHz) SSHD: Seagate 1TB SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500GB HHD: WD Red 4TB PSU: Fractal Design Essence 500W Case: Zalman Z11 Plus

24 minutes ago, WolfoftheShadow7465 said:

i will admit for cheaper you can get into vr, but that bundle no, an fx-4350 with an rx 470? that barely meets minimum specs, it will be an ok experience for maybe a few months before an update destroys its ability to run a game well because the min specs went up

it's still faster than a ps4...

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

58 minutes ago, Prysin said:

you'd get an F if the teacher could spot the difference. You'd get an A if they didnt.

Do you think you could tell if it was fake or not at 90-120Hz? This isnt like telling 60 vs 120 apart. Because due to how VR updates, it will discard any frame it needs to due to latency. So you could discard frame #2 in order to update with a fresh frame due to head movement.

It's also the same way G-Sync operates once you drop below 30 FPS...

But hey, you could simply make an animation that runs at 60 and at 120 FPS, with the 120Hz being a dead perfectly timed doubling. Aka from 16.67ms to 8.835ms per frame, then show it to people and ask them which is which.

i'd definantly do that if i had a 120hz monitor :-|

45 minutes ago, matrix07012 said:

i5 6400 and RX 480

sorry, but that CPU will quickly run into CPU bottlenecking due to low clocks. The RX 480 CAN in some games, get bottlenecked with a 6500. A 6400 is so massively much slower then the 6500, it is simply not worth it.

Remember the bottlenecking issue:
GPU = less FPS

CPU = more stuttering and lag

Stuttering + lag + VR = projectile vomit = cleaning = sad

On ‎27‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 1:44 PM, Shepanator said:

Source here. It also reveals the estimated sales of the HTC Vive and the Occulus Rift, which stand at 420k and 240k respectively.

This is incredible news, especially since the PC VR headsets seem to have stalled. Hopefully it means VR will continue to become more mainstream.

interesting news but how is 915,000 "nearly double" 660,000 ?

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

5 hours ago, Prysin said:

Cheapest VR setup you can do for PC (off the shelves components, NOT used parts):

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/vXV6LD

So 1500-1600$ with a RIFT.

Can flame Sony for proprietary, vendor lock in, forced to pay for network features... but fact remains, PS4 Pro + PS VR + 1 year PS Pluss = 869$.... meaning you will at any point have 650-750$ worth of money to buy VR games for that console before you hit PC prices.

Please stop this misinformation. I've already provided a link to a $999 bundle for a Rift AND a Rift-capable PC.

4 hours ago, WolfoftheShadow7465 said:

It meets the minimum specifications, and so far the minimum hardware requirements have only been going down, not up.

Sure, an FX-4350 isn't the most future-proof hardware around. But neither is a PS4.

3 hours ago, Prysin said:

sorry, but that CPU will quickly run into CPU bottlenecking due to low clocks. The RX 480 CAN in some games, get bottlenecked with a 6500. A 6400 is so massively much slower then the 6500, it is simply not worth it.

Remember the bottlenecking issue:
GPU = less FPS

CPU = more stuttering and lag

Stuttering + lag + VR = projectile vomit = cleaning = sad

A Core i5-6400 is fine for VR. Seriously, an FX-4350 is the minimum spec. Or for that matter, the PS4 CPU with its extremely low IPC and running 1.6 GHz.

VR games are generally not CPU-intensive at this point, no matter what Intel and Arizona Sunshine might have tried to tell you.