Desktop Will Not Connect to Ethernet(See Info-graphic)

FAQBytes
Go to solution Solved by Windows7ge,
8 minutes ago, FAQBytes said:

I had a hunch about that too, but again, it seems like a stretch. I had it up and running for several months on the same network, but it stopped working when switching buildings. It never actually connected in this building, which seems to invalidate that theory. I've just done workarounds for the time being when making minor changes. I'm planning on changing GPUs in the near future, so having it direct wired would be so much easier and faster. I'll find a workaround eventually, but I was mostly just looking for suggestions. 

Well, different building would have a different network switch. Different switch could be running a different configuration. One the server doesn't like. You can try using a cheap 1Gbit switch and using it in line. I have heard though that some managed switches can detect if an end device is plugged into a specific port or another switch. If this is the case a switch won't work. A security vulnerability in this case though is that you can get around it using a hub. Hub's aren't intelligent, switches are. On a small enough network a hub would work fine. Some things worth testing if you can. It might give you the direct connection you desire. Plus if the switch works you can run your laptop on the Ethernet. Have faster pings.

So starting about a few months ago I started running into some problems where my desktop computer will not recognize the Ethernet port in my dorm room. 

Using my laptop as a network bridge I was able to confirm that it is not an issue with the Ethernet port/cable or my motherboard as the same stuff worked with my laptop as a pass-through.
(Glorious 45 second info-graphic here:)

Triangle.png

May a router/switch alleviate this issue? To me it's perplexing as it used to work, and now it won't. It also makes it a pain to control unraid as I have to plug it into my laptop to be able to control it.

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

If the internet is controlled by a third party they could go as far as to make an Ethernet port not work based on MAC address. The MAC address gives a little bit of information about the computer and a firewall could be capable of blocking communication using that MAC. Kind of a stretch scenario though. I think it's likely the people controlling the internet did something that won't let that system connect. Maybe because it's a server board.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

If the internet is controlled by a third party they could go as far as to make an Ethernet port not work based on MAC address. The MAC address gives a little bit of information about the computer and a firewall could be capable of blocking communication using that MAC. Kind of a stretch scenario though. I think it's likely the people controlling the internet did something that won't let that system connect. Maybe because it's a server board.

I had a hunch about that too, but again, it seems like a stretch. I had it up and running for several months on the same network, but it stopped working when switching buildings. It never actually connected in this building, which seems to invalidate that theory. I've just done workarounds for the time being when making minor changes. I'm planning on changing GPUs in the near future, so having it direct wired would be so much easier and faster. I'll find a workaround eventually, but I was mostly just looking for suggestions. 

COMPUTER: Mobile Battlestation  |  CPU: INTEL I7-8700k |  Motherboard: Asus z370-i Strix Gaming  | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW ACX 3.0 | Cooler: Scythe Big Shuriken 2 Rev. b |  PSU: Corsair SF600 | HDD: Samsung 860 evo 1tb

8 minutes ago, FAQBytes said:

Well, different building would have a different network switch. Different switch could be running a different configuration. One the server doesn't like. You can try using a cheap 1Gbit switch and using it in line. I have heard though that some managed switches can detect if an end device is plugged into a specific port or another switch. If this is the case a switch won't work. A security vulnerability in this case though is that you can get around it using a hub. Hub's aren't intelligent, switches are. On a small enough network a hub would work fine. Some things worth testing if you can. It might give you the direct connection you desire. Plus if the switch works you can run your laptop on the Ethernet. Have faster pings.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

-Snip-

I usually run my laptop off Ethernet already, so it would just help make it so that I can have my laptop, desktop and Xbone have Ethernet all at once, should a switch work. Judging by the number of unauthorized routers, it seems like it isn't too strict. I'll have to take a look and see if I can find a hub for cheap.

10 minutes ago, FAQBytes said:

I usually run my laptop off Ethernet already, so it would just help make it so that I can have my laptop, desktop and Xbone have Ethernet all at once, should a switch work. Judging by the number of unauthorized routers, it seems like it isn't too strict. I'll have to take a look and see if I can find a hub for cheap.

Routers have Ethernet ports that use MAC address's so they could use a form of MAC filtering and if it comes back as a Router manufacturer they could block it. Same with a switch. If you can test it without spending money. Opt for a Switch. If a switch doesn't work a hub should.