Can you wash a graphics card?

Everyone is saying no but the reality is that you CAN wash the card with no adverse after effects. Just don't have it running, ground the card to the case just in case, and wash it. Do not use soap or anything else, just plain water. When you're done washing just chuck it in a bag of rice for a day and you're good to go. And if anyone says you can't, they're wrong because I've done it a few times myself. It's not the best idea but when you have components that really do need a good washing it isn't that bad of an idea.

I would do it. Curiosity kills the cat. And it makes for a neat little experimentation.

(also teaches you to be patient and careful)

edit: (here's a tip. you could, after washing, put it in a container of rice.. completely covering it. it helps to absorb any moisture, but I don't recommend eating the rice after that)

well actually it wouldn't .. it won't short out unless you power it on while it's still moist, he obviously wouldn't clean it WHILE IT IS  STILL RUNNING, still, wouldn't do it, bad idea.

It is possible to soak your computer in water (yes) its like watercooling 2.0 (this isn't the exact video) but its close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eub39NaC4rc

Honestly it looks pretty dang cool but I wouldn't do it to a $1500 machine in less I tried it out first with a $100 - $200 machine. 

Edit : I will have to find the original video to share later. It may take a while to find >_<

Edit 2 : Well that was fast here it is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZWdaOV731I

こんにちは, まだ学習漢字 ;)

This sounds extremely troll like

Never put water on any computer componet, its majorly conductive and if you actually washed the whole card with water you would ruin it..

It would work still, if there is no water then there is no problem that means i can throw my pc in a pool, give it a week to dry and it will work fine(take out of the mobo battery as soon as possible). Water creates bridges , it creates another circuit that shouldnt exist, like a normal circuit it has no effect until electrons(electricity) passes through it. If the water isnt there then there isnt another gate to travel through as a result your circuits will be fine. I dont recommend it but if you get water on a electrical device it doesnt mean its dead, dry that thing and its likely to work.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Also, you could place the components out on a flat surface and have a fan blowing over it, have done this with a laptop someone spilled coffee on. Left the laptop upside down facing the exhaust of a server cabinet (aka 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit) for a day in the server room, booted up the next day as if nothing happened, except it still smelled like coffee.

I roll with sigs off so I have no idea what you're advertising.

This is NOT the signature you are looking for.

It would work still, if there is no water then there is no problem that means i can throw my pc in a pool, give it a week to dry and it will work fine(take out of the mobo battery as soon as possible). Water creates bridges , it creates another circuit that shouldnt exist, like a normal circuit it has no effect until electrons(electricity) passes through it. If the water isnt there then there isnt another gate to travel through as a result your circuits will be fine. I dont recommend it but if you get water on a electrical device it doesnt mean its dead, dry that thing and its likely to work.

i would say if there is a battery in there... remove it before washing lol? why would you remove it after washing????

Actually if your not going to use it for a month than your fine. Its only when power is applied that water and electronics do not mix, but as long as it dries out your good to go. 

It's safe to wash everything, except the pcb. So disassemble the card and wash the shroud and heatsink. That's the best you can do

~Judah

This sounds extremely troll like

Never put water on any computer componet, its majorly conductive and if you actually washed the whole card with water you would ruin it..

Pure water is not very conductive. Chem 101. (it is still a poor conductor. it is not free of ions)

i would say if there is a battery in there... remove it before washing lol? why would you remove it after washing????

Lets imagine you dropped it in water, i typed half of and then had to do some choirs so my mind of offset my bad.

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Also, you could place the components out on a flat surface and have a fan blowing over it, have done this with a laptop someone spilled coffee on. Left the laptop upside down facing the exhaust of a server cabinet (aka 80-90 degrees Fahrenheit) for a day in the server room, booted up the next day as if nothing happened, except it still smelled like coffee.

So thats why My used mac smells like coffee...

Pure water is not very conductive. Chem 101.

Who has pure water? I sure don't have and "pure" water....

It is possible to soak your computer in water (yes) its like watercooling 2.0 (this isn't the exact video) but its close.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Eub39NaC4rc

Honestly it looks pretty dang cool but I wouldn't do it to a $1500 machine in less I tried it out first with a $100 - $200 machine. 

Edit : I will have to find the original video to share later. It may take a while to find >_<

Edit 2 : Well that was fast here it is here (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZWdaOV731I

i guess they did it by making a barrier beetwen the components and the water.. that's .. uhm wierd? :P

mineral oil pc's are abit messy but they can be cool, i guess the downside would be rma... components have to dry for months apperantly so that could make the rma experience abit tricky .. then again how often haven't we voided warranty and taken risks just to do something cool?

just for the sake of clearing this up because it's somewhat related to the ops question, to my memory water itself isn't really conductive but the things it is contaminated with is, you could buy pure distilled water and it isn't really conductive, then again i don't think you will find 100% pure h20.

Lets imagine you dropped it in water, i typed half of and then had to do some choirs so my mind of offset my bad.

i was just trolling ya. And dropping it in water is totally irrelevant here, because we are talking about washing it. (On purpose). So it's not like you don't have time to make some preparations. (Teaches you caution and patience)

when we refer to pure water... it means distilled water. and like i said in my edit (it is not completely free of ions).

and don't be sarcastic - - (the entire thread has people referring to pure as distilled aka deionized).

Compressed air, and don't blow it upside down because it freezes stuff when the bottle is used upside down. HAPPY BLOWING!

Happy blowing.. lol

OT: YOU CAN, JUST TRY

YEA İTS FİNE JUST PUT İT UNDER 100C WATER YOU WİLL BE ROCKİN' HARD

He is the hero this forum deserves but not the one it needs right now.So we'll hunt him because he can take it because he is not our hero he is a silent guardian 

a watchful protector A Dark Knight

Wow, this guy is my hero.

i5 4440, 8GB 1600 mhz, Gigabyte Z87X-UD3H, SX900 128gb SSD, 850w 80+ Gold, FD R4, 270

So thats why My used mac smells like coffee...

I would bet a good sum of dough that is why. ;)

YEA İTS FİNE JUST PUT İT UNDER 100C WATER YOU WİLL BE ROCKİN' HARD

comes the troll post :P but i get where you're coming from haha..

I would bet a good sum of dough that is why. ;)

Store my laptop in a coffee bean container > > > 

Store my laptop in a coffee bean container > > > 

If true the odor would go away after a period of time. It takes persistent contact to keep the odor.

Yeah the idea was, wash it now, leave it till im home halfway through december then use it then, in hopes itl be fully dry.

Most of you seem against the idea, so i probably wont do it, just a thought!

If you are going to leave it to dry for a long period of time, then I think it should be fine. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OkWePqTfD14

Read the description...sounds like this guy knows what he's doing, take it as you wish.