Microsoft: "Play the games, not the resolution"

nicehat

256472-aaheader.jpg

Microsoft Studios vice president Phil Spencer believes that gamers and media are overhyping the fact that some Xbox One launch titles will be running at 720p resolution while their PlayStation 4 counterparts are able to run smoothly at 1080p. Here are some GREAT quotes for your entertainment. 

"Go look at the games," he argued. "Go play the games and tell us what you think about what they look. Right now, gamers don't have the games to go play. They can't walk into their local store and play the games.

"So, it doesn't really surprise me that they're going to focus on the specs that they can. I don't criticize anyone for doing that. In the end, we play the games, not the resolution."

"In absence of me getting my own Xbox One or PS4 games, I'm going to focus on the meme of the day, which happens to be resolutiongate" he affirmed. "But I think it'll blow over as people get to play the games."

But the fact that some launch titles are running at lower resolution than their PS4 counterparts sure proves that Xbox One is "less powerful" than its competitor. Right? Well, Spencer disagrees.

"Power is a subjective term," he mused. We look at all of the capabilities we put in the box, our investment in cloud, Kinect, and all-in-one entertainment, and our investment in the operating system for fast task-switching."

"We think we've built a very powerful system. I don't think there's any one vector of power that you can focus on and say we win because this number is bigger than that number. It's like a car. Is it horsepower? Is it torque? There's a bunch of things that you look at to see what it's capable of."

"Our proposition with Xbox One starts with the games: we've got a great launch line-up of over 20 games. We've got some great franchises, great third-party relationships. And we've built a system that natively understands you and your entertainment."

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

damage-control-damage.jpg

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

"This console will last you a decade" "You're buying a first class experience, the best experience you can buy this holiday"

*plays games at 720p and 30fps*

I personally don't enjoy 9-string guitars, but that doesn't change the fact that they look awesome as hell!

It just feels like we're taking a step back in technology by turning resolutions down... especially on a piece of hardware that is being released NOW.

In ten years time we will be walking around in mechs, xbox two i guess will finally run 1080p

cpu: intel i5 4670k @ 4.5ghz Ram: G skill ares 2x4gb 2166mhz cl10 Gpu: GTX 680 liquid cooled cpu cooler: Raijintek ereboss Mobo: gigabyte z87x ud5h psu: cm gx650 bronze Case: Zalman Z9 plus

Listen if you care.

Cpu: intel i7 4770k @ 4.2ghz Ram: G skill  ripjaws 2x4gb Gpu: nvidia gtx 970 cpu cooler: akasa venom voodoo Mobo: G1.Sniper Z6 Psu: XFX proseries 650w Case: Zalman H1

Imagine this war 10 years from now....

8K TV's will be popular and our cellphones will be more powerful than these consoles.

What then Microsoft?

Linus is right, this is the last generation of consoles. YAY!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I get what he is saying and come on he works for the company! But yeah, they sacrificed gaming capabilities in a "GAMES Console" which it really isn't anymore, it's a home entertainment thing... that happens to play games. It was basically giving the finger to their fans, unforgivable.

Honestly, 720P

That was the last generations sale pitch!

1080P should be the minimum!

Hail Sithis!

Imagine this war 10 years from now....

8K TV's will be popular and our cellphones will be more powerful than these consoles.

What then Microsoft?

Linus is right, this is the last generation of consoles. YAY!

He never said last generation of consoles, he said it is the last generation that Sony and Microsoft will be the only competitors. (This is what I remember, I may be wrong)

"You Can't Buy Happiness, But You Can Buy Horsepower, And That's Kind of The Same Thing."

He never said last generation of consoles, he said it is the last generation that Sony and Microsoft will be the only competitors. (This is what I remember, I may be wrong)

He essentially said that this is the last generation of consoles as we know it. 

The box that hooks to the tv and stays there.

Things are moving to handheld gaming and android.

Hail Sithis!

Game's main point is gameplay, not the graphics, not the fancy things, etc.

We learned this, when we first ventured in gaming and had that horrible PC that was running with even lower specs the game required. Or at least everyone I know from my generation did...
However immersion is a BIG factor nowadays, that complements gameplay. Graphics, sound, world design, screenplay, story, and a lot of things that came out with technology and they have to stay.

We got to a point where we can truly make our games better. And Microsoft is trying to convince people to stay behind, just because they couldn't make their console worth a damn.

I want someone to do a 1 on 1 interview with Phil Spencer and tell him he is wrong. Tell him they fucked up and every decision they have made with the Xbox One was the wrong one. I want to see the hopeless look on that mans face.

Truth hurts sometimes.

Hail Sithis!

The way I see it, 10-15 years from now, everyone will still have a tv and some sort of 'box' near it. Consoles will be like graphics cards today in that you can slot one in to expand functionality. For people that don't want to do that or aren't capable companies will sell prebuild systems. The console cards will be expensive but will be able to leverage a diverse list of hardware so that if you want more FPS or higher resolution you can upgrade your GPU, if you want to game stream/edit game videos you can upgrade your CPU/get a capture card, etc. Some things about consoles are good, the controllers and peripherals for one (kinect is an interesting product), the game library, the problem is that if they want to 'win the living room' consoles need to be upgradable with PC level hardware.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

The way I see it, 10-15 years from now, everyone will still have a tv and some sort of 'box' near it. Consoles will be like graphics cards today in that you can slot one in to expand functionality. For people that don't want to do that or aren't capable companies will sell prebuild systems. The console cards will be expensive but will be able to leverage a diverse list of hardware so that if you want more FPS or higher resolution you can upgrade your GPU, if you want to game stream/edit game videos you can upgrade your CPU/get a capture card, etc. Some things about consoles are good, the controllers and peripherals for one (kinect is an interesting product), the game library, the problem is that if they want to 'win the living room' consoles need to be upgradable with PC level hardware.

PC's already do that now though....

Why do we need consoles in 10 years?

Hail Sithis!

PC's already do that now though....

Why do we need consoles in 10 years?

I view the 'console' part of the computer as a an expanded functionality I suspect the console makers will take an even more 'walled garden' approach with their peripherals/controllers and increasingly not let PCs use them (mostly in an attempt to entice PC users to by a console), the 'console card thing' would also 'unlock' the ability to play first party exclusive games (many of which currently do not come to PC at launch). While I would like it if consoles died and never came back I think it is unlikely and that they will simply change product space from the whole device to a component/addon. Think of it, third party non-reference consoles, EVGA Xbox 5 with full backwards comparability and ACX cooling, lol.

Intel 3570k @ 4.4 GHz |Asus Sabertooth Z77 |EVGA GTX 660 Ti FTW |Kingston HyperX Beast 16 Gb DDR3 1866 (2x8Gb)

|Samsung 840 250 GB |Western Digital Green 2TB 2x |Cooler Master 850w 80+ Gold |Custom Water Cooling Loop |Noctua NF-F12 4x
|Noctua NF-A14 3x |Corsair Carbide 500R (White) |Corsair K95 |Razer Mamba |Razer Megalodon |Samsung SyncMaster T220 2x Computer Bucket List   Greatest Thread Ever   WAN Show Drinking Game  GPU Buyers Guide

Resolutions don't matter? Go play the game?

Okay! I'll go play the game, "Ew, what's with all these blurry textures, and jaggies? Why is everything popping in from 10ft away? Why does this game look like CRAP?"

Yeah, I'll go play the game, on a PC.

Resolutions don't matter? Go play the game?

Okay! I'll go play the game, "Ew, what's with all these blurry textures, and jaggies? Why is everything popping in from 10ft away? Why does this game look like CRAP?"

Yeah, I'll go play the game, on a PC.

b-b-b-but-but  da kinekt, a-a-a-and da new kontroller, da bloo ray, and da exkloosives!

Hail Sithis!

b-b-b-but-but  da kinekt, a-a-a-and da new kontroller, da bloo ray, and da exkloosives!

I know you're just joking, but I'll counter it anyway.

No one wants Kinect, so it's a mute point. New controller? That's cute, we can use your new controller and ALL controllers on PC. We can also have Blu-ray on PC, and exclusives you say?

pc-exclusives.jpg

I think I've made my point.

I know you're just joking, but I'll counter it anyway.

No one wants Kinect, so it's a mute point. New controller? That's cute, we can use your new controller and ALL controllers on PC. We can also have Blu-ray on PC, and exclusives you say?

pc-exclusives.jpg

I think I've made my point.

I give consoles 5 years before they dwindle completely.

Hail Sithis!

sensationalist thread topic man...

but 2 things:

1. i don't think console gamers will be able to tell the difference honestly. They will just say ps4 is stronger because thats what the media tells them.

2. who cares, pc is where its at unless you gotta play console only games (like madden!)

Delltopia

Case & Mobo: Stock Dell Optiplex 7010, CPU: i5 3470, RAM: 16gb 1333 DDR3 (1x8gb Corsair Vengence, 2x4gb Random), GPU: Diamond Radeon HD 7970,

PSU: EVGA GQ 650W, SSD: Kingston v300 128gb (OS), HDD: 700gb Seagate 7200rpm (Storage)

but 2 things:

1. i don't think console gamers will be able to tell the difference honestly. They will just say ps4 is stronger because thats what the media tells them.

2. who cares, pc is where its at unless you gotta play console only games (like madden!)

I have many console gaming friends, they want to switch to PC because of how crap the current consoles are. They plan to buy the next gen consoles, but even they can see from the trailers alone and in-game footage that the next generation is a disappointment again.

Anyone can tell the difference. I bet if I got two pictures, one from PC and one from Xbone, and showed it to random people in the public, they would be able to tell which one looks better. It isn't rocket science, you just have to look with your eyes.

Gotta agree though, PC is where it's at and I have to agree with Linus saying this will be the last console generation.

or if you are into consoles gt a PS4 play the games AND get the resolution :I

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"