Microsoft: "Play the games, not the resolution"

nicehat

tbh, Xbox is an entertainment System that plays games, Playstation4 is just a Game console, if you want Games and to get your details hacked every year or 2, get a PS4, if you want an entertainment system that everyone can use easily that plays games and does TV get a Xbox one.

either way Steam Box will blow both out of the water with little effort

Character artist in the Games industry.

So sooner or later they will be expecting us to play at low resolutions on consoles because the games are too demanding. Even though the game is enjoyable, it won't be that enjoyable due to its low frame rates and resolution.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

So sooner or later they will be expecting us to play at low resolutions on consoles because the games are too demanding. Even though the game is enjoyable, it won't be that enjoyable due to its low frame rates and resolution.

So, how would you feel to play at 640x360? I mean, 720p upscaled to 1080p only has subtle differences, right? So 360p upscaled to 1080p shouldn't have anything wrong right?

But the fact that some launch titles are running at lower resolution than their PS4 counterparts sure proves that Xbox One is "less powerful" than its competitor. Right? Well, Spencer disagrees.

"Power is a subjective term," he mused. We look at all of the capabilities we put in the box, our investment in cloud, Kinect, and all-in-one entertainment, and our investment in the operating system for fast task-switching."

"We think we've built a very powerful system. I don't think there's any one vector of power that you can focus on and say we win because this number is bigger than that number. It's like a car. Is it horsepower? Is it torque? There's a bunch of things that you look at to see what it's capable of."

haha, this part of the post made me think, so basically he was arguing that Xbone was not any "less powerful".. it's more we built it with other factors in mind like watching dvds and stuff. Not pro gamer. Anyone with a sensible enough mind after hearing that should know gamers are no longer in their best interests. (Remember that NFL commercial?)

tbh, Xbox is an entertainment System that plays games, Playstation4 is just a Game console, if you want Games and to get your details hacked every year or 2, get a PS4, if you want an entertainment system that everyone can use easily that plays games and does TV get a Xbox one.

either way Steam Box will blow both out of the water with little effort

well tbh, the hacking part seems unfair. You don't know that microsoft is not having the same issues and not disclosing it. The Playstation network has been known for its strict security and also the aftermath (huge lawsuits), which is essentially honeypot to hackers. we'll see about the steam box (I'm anticipating it but I'm not sure how status-quo changing it will be).

haha, this part of the post made me think, so basically he was arguing that Xbone was not any "less powerful".. it's more we built it with other factors in mind like watching dvds and stuff. Not pro gamer. Anyone with a sensible enough mind after hearing that should know gamers are no longer in their best interests. (Remember that NFL commercial?)

Yep just as Slick said on the WAN show, they have abandoned gamers a bit to jab at the rest of the living room. If they had an entertainment mode and a gamer mode that could be toggled, they might have the best of both worlds. 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

Yep just as Slick said on the WAN show, they have abandoned gamers a bit to jab at the rest of the living room. If they had an entertainment mode and a gamer mode that could be toggled, they might have the best of both worlds. 

it just makes me sick, because everything is going towards that direction. Material wise it is probably good (eco friendly), since you don't have to buy multiple machines to do different tasks. But that would just mean I am stuck to one thing the whole time. Tablets are basically a computer and phone hybrid. And it does pretty much what your tv would do. Will there come a time when tablets replace phone and pc? 

I'd rather play 720p that looks good than 1080p with more of the jaggy texture popping disgusting unfiltered mess that console games are right now.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

"Power is a subjective term," he mused. We look at all of the capabilities we put in the box, our investment in cloud, Kinect, and all-in-one entertainment, and our investment in the operating system for fast task-switching."

You heard it here first folks. Power is a subjective term. The 780 Ti is not more powerful than the GT 620, because "powerful" is subjective.

What a load of bullshit... The whole "play the games before saying anything" is just a way for them to delay the inevitable truth that the Xbone isn't really that powerful. It's not even as powerful as what I'd consider a mid-range gaming PC. It makes me sad that consoles will hold back PC gaming yet again. Hell they are already holding it back by making games console exclusive even though they use the same damn hardware as regular desktop computers uses.

Desktop hardware is still evolving pretty rapidly (just compare the GTX 480 against the Nvidia Titan, there is a 3 years difference between those cards, and the performance difference is huge so I am not buying the whole "the evolution of hardware is slowing down" argument) and they expect them to last 10 years?

10 years ago, a really high end computer for several thousands of dollars had these kinds of specs:

Intel Pentium 4 at 2.8GHz (that's a single core CPU with roughly the same IPC as the last gen Atom processors).

512MB of DDR RAM at 400MHz.

120GB HDD.

Radeon 9800 PRO graphics card with 128MB of video memory.

So if everything continues like it has done for the last 10 years (hard to say if it will or not) then near the end of the Xbone's and PS4's lifecycles your current desktop would be like having the computer I posted above today, aka really horrible and can barely do anything.

And that's why all of us are on PCs.

Selling my parts of my 900D rig for a jacked up Ncase M1. PM me for offers if interested (will take some reasonable-low offers because I'm desperate).

Parts that I'm selling: 900D (1 slot cover broken for stealth DVD drive mod) | Asus Z87 Deluxe | Cooler Master 212 Evo | Corsair 4x2GB black ram @1600mhz | EVGA 1000G2 PSU (2 cables with missing heat shrink) | DVD drive | HP membrane keyboard | Ducky Shine 3 YOTS in blue switches (warranty sticker broken)

Will there come a time when tablets replace phone and pc? 

My thoughts are that the tablet is a interim solution to something big thats on the way. People want PCs to be small, sleek, mobile and responsive. They also want to interact with the PC directly instead of through a middleman (mouse keyboard). The solution to that right now is a tablet. But it lacks the raw horsepower of its big brother PC. So something else is on the way. I personally envision a Minority Report style holographic device, but thats a ways off. 

AMD FX-8350 @ 4.7Ghz when gaming | MSI 990FXA-GD80 v2 | Swiftech H220 | Sapphire Radeon HD 7950  +  XFX Radeon 7950 | 8 Gigs of Crucial Ballistix Tracers | 140 GB Raptor X | 1 TB WD Blue | 250 GB Samsung Pro SSD | 120 GB Samsung SSD | 750 Watt Antec HCG PSU | Corsair C70 Mil Green

So if everything continues like it has done for the last 10 years (hard to say if it will or not) then near the end of the Xbone's and PS4's lifecycles your current desktop would be like having the computer I posted above today, aka really horrible and can barely do anything.

That's both scary and sad at the same time :/

Yeah the current hardware isn't going to live long. I give it about 3-5 years before it's completely obsolete. Hell, maybe even sooner than that.

"We think we've built a very powerful system. I don't think there's any one vector of power that you can focus on and say we win because this number is bigger than that number. It's like a car. Is it horsepower? Is it torque? There's a bunch of things that you look at to see what it's capable of."

Yep so powerfull the R9-290X beats your system by 5x times and that before Release.

Next Year with Maxwell it will be even worse and that 1 Year after release.

3 Years after release we will have Volta wich could easy be 10x times the power of the XboxOne.

And what comes then in 5-7 Years after launch PC will probably have Real Time Ray Tracing.

And by then we could already have DX12 when not even DX13.

I just hope that SteamOS hits like a bomb that we don't get held back by consoles once again, because it will be worse this Gen.

RTX2070OC 

Haha this cracks me up, bunch of comedians at MS and Sony.

In case the moderators do not ban me as requested, this is a notice that I have left and am not coming back.

Yep so powerfull the R9-290X beats your system by 5x times and that before Release.

Next Year with Maxwell it will be even worse and that 1 Year after release.

3 Years after release we will have Volta wich could easy be 10x times the power of the XboxOne.

And what comes then in 5-7 Years after launch PC will probably have Real Time Ray Tracing.

And by then we could already have DX12 when not even DX13.

I just hope that SteamOS hits like a bomb that we don't get held back by consoles once again, because it will be worse this Gen.

Steam Machines are the answer. If they could just optimize the games better than I'm completely sold!

Motherboard - Gigabyte P67A-UD5 Processor - Intel Core i7-2600K RAM - G.Skill Ripjaws @1600 8GB Graphics Cards  - MSI and EVGA GeForce GTX 580 SLI PSU - Cooler Master Silent Pro 1,000w SSD - OCZ Vertex 3 120GB x2 HDD - WD Caviar Black 1TB Case - Corsair Obsidian 600D Audio - Asus Xonar DG

Hail Sithis!

I like comedy movies too OP! :D

Wait.....somebody just told me this is real? D:

Seriously, my poo could display 1080p at this point.

Sooooo, when it's Nintendo, "The specs sucks! the specs suck! Don't buy a WiiU", but when it's Microsoft "It's the game play that mater not the graphics/resolution"...

Microsoft choices are either:

A- Pull a miracle

B- Be like Nintendo, and be different

C- Price war, like the GameCube/PS2/XBox generation, where the GameCube was more powerful than the PS2, yet had to play price war, with a console price of 99$ to get sales going.

such a shame xbox1 went this way.. sure they are making money *on each console sold* unlike before when they would make a loss on each console sold..... seems like a half assed, cash grab business decision all along

for shame MS

GamingPC: Intel 4770k CPU, 2xMSI 780 GTX Twin Frozr, 16 GB Corsair Vengeance Pro, Swiftech H220 CPU Cooler.

Cookie Cutter Build log

I'm interested to see what will happen to consoles after ~2-3 years from now. The mobile hardware is catching up fast in performance wise.

Seems to me that these new consoles are pretty much brewing up a perfect storm for something like SteamOS to come in and completely change the landscape of gaming as a whole.

Another great excuse for Microsoft that many Xbox fanboys will use in their stupid debates.

TV,TV,TV,TV,TV,SPORTS,SPORTS,COD,COD,TV,TV,TV!

Specs of my PC:

CPU: AMD FX 8350  Motherboard: Gigabyte 990XA UD3  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 770 Windforce 2GB  HDD: WD Green 2TB SSD:  Corsair Force GT 120GB SSD RAM: Corsair 8GB(2X4) PSU: CoolerMaster G650M

Meanwhile in the PC World....

2494667_orig.jpeg

9900K  / Noctua NH-D15S / Z390 Aorus Master / 32GB DDR4 Vengeance Pro 3200Mhz / eVGA 2080 Ti Black Ed / Morpheus II Core / Meshify C / LG 27UK650-W / PS4 Pro / XBox One X

damage-control-damage.jpg

Lol so true

My rig: Case: Corsair 760T CPU: Intel 4690k MOBO: MSI Z79 Gaming 5 RaM: 16gb HyperX SSD: 256gb Samsung pro HDD: 1tb Toshiba PSU: Thermaltake smart 750 GPU: 1x GTX 1080 Founders edition

Sooooo, when it's Nintendo, "The specs sucks! the specs suck! Don't buy a WiiU", but when it's Microsoft "It's the game play that mater not the graphics/resolution"...

Microsoft choices are either:

A- Pull a miracle

B- Be like Nintendo, and be different

C- Price war, like the GameCube/PS2/XBox generation, where the GameCube was more powerful than the PS2, yet had to play price war, with a console price of 99$ to get sales going.

I have to agree with this.  Watch the hypocrisy of the gaming media in full force and sweep this aspect of the console under the rug.

Current Rig: i5 3570K @ 4.2 GHz, Corsair H100i, Asus Maximus V Gene, Asus GTX 970 Turbo, Patriot Viper Black Mamba 8 GB DDR-3 1600 (2x4GB), Sandisk 120 GB SSD + Seagate 500 GB HDD + WD Blue 1 TB HDD, XFX 750W Black Edition, Corsair 350D - https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/b/cbxrxr

'Coolkingler1: I will play the games, not on the Xbox One'