Watercooled Server Build

Hey, regarding outro card. Why not reuse your old template? IMO, your current one looks bad.

Spoiler

thingy.png

thing.png

I dont really understand WHY not put the liquid cooled rack mount in the bottom ? Is there a specific reason for that or just lazyness? If its that vital, why risk it at all?

Another option would have been using an external chassis for the cooling and use quick connects in between, as he told in the video at some point. Just drill 2 holes in the back  or front of the chassis and you are good to go.

Otherwise typical Linus stuff, thinks about some steps in advance, talks about the importance of leaks, tries to install a repaired rad ... . Lucky enough he didn't in the end.

I also have 2 water cooled servers in my server rack but I'm using 4Us, so I guess I'm not as baller. On the other hand, I'm using velcro to mount the radiators, so no punctured rad.

At 8:37, that brass punch you are hammering on is an automatic punch. No hammer needed, just press down until an internal spring and pin slip past each other and it will punch for you. Because of that spring they don't work worth a crap when you hammer on them. :)

As much as you do watercooling, you might want to grab a pair of cutters like these, they work awesome: https://www.amazon.com/Gates-91153-Hand-Held-Cutter/dp/B000CRDM06

In the center-ish of that green Ryobi drill bit set you have there are stop collars to go on your bits to set a depth so you don't drill too far into something (e.g. a radiator :P), they will look like this: https://www.amazon.com/Tonsiki-Woodworking-Collars-Positioner-Locator/dp/B0185KC9F0

3 hours ago, Scheer said:

At 8:37, that brass punch you are hammering on is an automatic punch. No hammer needed, just press down until an internal spring and pin slip past each other and it will punch for you. Because of that spring they don't work worth a crap when you hammer on them. :)

As much as you do watercooling, you might want to grab a pair of cutters like these, they work awesome: https://www.amazon.com/Gates-91153-Hand-Held-Cutter/dp/B000CRDM06

In the center-ish of that green Ryobi drill bit set you have there are stop collars to go on your bits to set a depth so you don't drill too far into something (e.g. a radiator :P), they will look like this: https://www.amazon.com/Tonsiki-Woodworking-Collars-Positioner-Locator/dp/B0185KC9F0

I don't think that's an automatic center punch. Looks like the center punch that came with his Ryobi bit set. Lower right of this pic: ujf7dse.jpg

9 hours ago, AnonymousGuy said:

He fucks up one rad, realizes that he should have just double side taped it to the chassis, then proceeds to drill the fractal rad.

One part of my brain was screaming "Why would you drill through ANOTHER radiator?!" but another part of my brain was going "Aww yeah, that's what I come to LTT to see."

10 hours ago, Daniel644 said:

There is a RIGHT WAY and there is a LINUS WAY.

Yes, but instead of going the Linus way, Linus decided to go the Ben Heck way and ended up on a slightly worse version of the KipKay way. I can't wait until we're seeing Markiplier levels of sass when it leaks, the day after the Petabyte system is placed under it.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

3 hours ago, anotherfatgeek said:

I don't think that's an automatic center punch. Looks like the center punch that came with his Ryobi bit set. Lower right of this pic: ujf7dse.jpg

I have that bit set, other than the countersink, worse purchase I've made from any place that sells tools. -10, out of 10,000.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

Meanwhile you probably could have just used the S36 instead of just stealing the radiator... You might have had to lengthen the tubes is all

6 hours ago, anotherfatgeek said:

I don't think that's an automatic center punch. Looks like the center punch that came with his Ryobi bit set. Lower right of this pic: 

He uses two punches, one right after the other. The first is this one: https://www.amazon.com/TEKTON-6580-Automatic-Center-Punch/dp/B0037UUO60/

And then he uses the one in that set.

Sincere opinion here, this video i awesome it catches the spirit of DIY PC crowd perfectly, he had a bunch of used parts and made an actual working machine with them using some tinkering and improvising.

Honestly great Video Linus videos like these made me a LTT follower and brought me back into tech  and made me a  follower who watches every video  to support creators I like. F*** those that make fun of this and say its dodgy and crap, they are just spoiled.

9 hours ago, Snadzies said:

One part of my brain was screaming "Why would you drill through ANOTHER radiator?!" but another part of my brain was going "Aww yeah, that's what I come to LTT to see."

I was waiting for him to accidentally drill through the second rad...  I didn't see anything behind where he was drilling to stop it from going through in a similar fashion to the first rad.

Also, as a curiosity note, with the positioning of the rad and fans in the 2U case, how good is the airflow?  it didn't seem like there was much room between the top and bottom of the case with the way the rad was mounted to get a lot of airflow over all the components...  Will also be interesting to see how this works out long term with the system being mounted in a server rack with a small server room like that... Wonder what the long term thermals will look like.

On 21/02/2017 at 7:17 PM, nicklmg said:

Buy water cooling parts on Amazon: http://geni.us/d3E5P

There's the right way of doing things, and then there's our way of doing things... Don't try this watercooled server build at home, kids!!

I take it the other server cabinets on the racks are relatively leak proof hence why the boss isn't too concerned?

I would like the boss to sometimes spend alittle more time rather than bodge jobbing stuff though.

He rushed that video a little too much. The best bit was when he found the replacement radiator that fits.

More perfectionism please.

My Rig "Valiant"  Intel® Core™ i7-5930 @3.5GHz ; Asus X99 DELUXE 3.1 ; Corsair H110i ; Corsair Dominator Platinium 64GB 3200MHz CL16 DDR4 ; 2 x 6GB ASUS NVIDIA GEFORCE GTX 980 Ti Strix ; Corsair Obsidian Series 900D ; Samsung 950 Pro NVME + Samsung 850 Pro SATA + HDD Western Digital Black - 2TB ; Corsair AX1500i Professional 80 PLUS Titanium ; x3 Samsung S27D850T 27-Inch WQHD Monitor

Well I have to say that was just plan silliness to do things the way he did...

Sure it may be entertaining. But how much is this one video going to make Linus ...not enough to cover the petabite server I bet.  would have been safer to use a dessent aio and make use of the 3d printer. And the placement of the rad is hugely inefficient. Let's just blow the hot air back on everything. *facepalm*

So rather than do it properly, following on or adapting from the mountains of examples that exist, you decide to do it in such a fashion that you're not going to get the results you hope for. In server rack water-cooling setups, the radiator is always EXTERNAL to the server you're water cooling. To evacuate as much heat out of the server as possible, while also making sure the radiators will be able to do their job.

In your setup, you have a choked-off triple-120mm radiator. Any cooling is from the airflow across it. The 120mm fans likely don't make any difference to cooling since you have the radiator screwed directly onto the bottom panel with the fans blowing down into it.

The better option would've been to use 80mm radiators, such as the ones AlphaCool offers. You could stand a double-80mm or triple-80mm on its side and at least have a radiator that's not choked off. A little ingenuity and you could likely have two doubles or two triples in that server chassis.

Or you could've done it properly and built an external setup. A DIY external setup, whether for a rack or standalone system, isn't difficult. This likely would've meant having to take the UPS units out of the rack and setting them beside or behind the cabinet to free up space. Or building a radiator box that sits alongside your rack cabinet.

Wife's build: Amethyst - Ryzen 9 3900X, 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws V DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X570-P, EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 12GB, Corsair Obsidian 750D, Corsair RM1000 (yellow label)

My build: Mira - Ryzen 7 3700X, 32GB EVGA DDR4-3200, ASUS Prime X470-PRO, EVGA RTX 3070 XC3, beQuiet Dark Base 900, EVGA 1000 G6

On 2/22/2017 at 0:22 PM, Altinn said:

Sincere opinion here, this video i awesome it catches the spirit of DIY PC crowd perfectly, he had a bunch of used parts and made an actual working machine with them using some tinkering and improvising.

Honestly great Video Linus videos like these made me a LTT follower and brought me back into tech  and made me a  follower who watches every video  to support creators I like. F*** those that make fun of this and say its dodgy and crap, they are just spoiled.

I hate to tell you this but DIY on this level and something that is supposed to an "Enterprise" environment don't really go together....

On 2/22/2017 at 6:24 PM, agarabaghi said:

my rat nest of a watercooled server rack lol

Like that random ass copy of Uncharted 4 on the top of the rack xD

maybe it is just me... but most of the videos here lately seem to feel incomplete...

Can Anybody Link A Virtual Machine while I go download some RAM?

• 10 months later...
On 2/21/2017 at 7:12 PM, Shoogy said:

What is the name of that case?  I am doing a new server build and was wondering

I would like to know too.

Net Neutrality Is Key!

http://www.andrewnet.net

andrew@andrewnet.net

• 3 years later...
On 1/7/2018 at 1:08 AM, andrew_nyr said:

I would like to know too.

It’s an iStarUSA D-200L