Watercooling a GPU, with stuck cover.

I have been planning to do a new build for a while now.. Not gonna happen right now, but i have been woundoring about something.

With this new rig, i want to do a watercooling system, with GPU, CPU and motherboard.

Now, with the GPU i want something that looks esthecly pleasing aswell, but most fullcover waterblocks are not unfortunally. So i was woundoring if it was possible to install a fullcover and then add the stock cooler ontop? (with some custom cutting and such?).. Just to keep the look.

If you do know some company that makes cool looking waterblocks for GPU's though.. Please don't hasitate to reply! smile.png

What do you think about this, will this be possible (and realistic)?

Everyone have a cool signature. I don't, so I thought I would write something.

- Cool right?

Hi !

My next GPU fullcover will be one from Watercool. They just look awesome ! Take a glimpse :

13447_0.jpg

380486_410100385714164_11878105_n.jpg

heakiller7970-1ytune.jpg

GTX690_HE_NiBl_1.jpg

XSPX makes cool waterblocks with LED's on them. They will VERY probalbly be the ones in my future loop. http://www.xs-pc.com/products/waterblocks/gpu-waterblocks/ http://www.xs-pc.com/products/waterblocks/cpu-waterblocks/raystorm-cpu-waterblock-intel/

CPU : Intel Core i7 3960X, Mobo : X79-UD3, Memory : 4x4GB Vengeance Black Memory 1600MHz, GPU : Asus GTX 970 Strix, Case : Switch 810 Matte Black, Storage : 256GB Samsung 830 SSD, Seagate Barracuda 1TB, PSU : Thermaltake 750W 80+ Bronze, Displays : 3x Asus 1080p Screens, Cooling : Corsair H100i, Keyboard : Logitech G710+, Mouse : Madcat Cyborg R.A.T.7, Sound : Sennheiser HD598, V-Moda Crossfade LP, Logitech Z-5500, HMD : Oculus Rift CV1

What you want has been done before.

http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272443-29-asus-6950-dcii-plan

However, just realize that the waterblock will be going on the underside of the card. Just like a graphics card with a stock cooler, you will only see the PCB (unless you get a backplate).

Coolermaster HAF-X, i5-3570k@4.3Ghz, AsRock Z77 Extreme4, Sapphire HD7870@1150Mhz, G.Skill Ripjaws 12GB 1600Mhz, Silverstone Strider Plus 750W, OCZ Vertex 4 128GB, XSPC Raystorm RS360 kit

Can be done? Maybe - cut, file, glue... but not, most of the blocks like the ones pictured above, have various points that protrude. Might be a tricky fit....

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

What you want has been done before. http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/272443-29-asus-6950-dcii-plan However' date=' just realize that the waterblock will be going on the underside of the card. Just like a graphics card with a stock cooler, you will only see the PCB (unless you get a backplate). [/quote']

I thought about doing it that way, but i kinda want the whole chipset to be watercooled aswell. I guess my idea is to have a refrence GTX. (I love the look :D)

Take out the cooling and proberly saw a bit of it off, so there is more room for a fullcover watercooling block underneath.

Get a black fullcover and backplate. Put it back together and run the stock fan at an ultra low speed so its completely silent. What i the will be left with is the Nvidia LED and the raw look of the card. Maybe some small cutouts for the watercooling. I might look for some kind of slim fullcover.

What do you think?

- Cool right?

Do you mean a slim full cover water block? Honestly, if running a water block, I want people to see it. Even if fuggly. :)

Now, as to slim - don't. Just don't. :) Not even sure they exist but if they did, they would be restrictive and have less flow capabilities, thereby not cooling your card as well and possible your entire loop due to the restriction. Just take your time looking around for the right water block.

Check out XSPC - their Razor blocks are nice.

Forum Links - Community Standards, Privacy Policy, FAQ, Features Suggestions, Bug and Issues.

Folding/Boinc Info - Check out the Folding and Boinc Section, read the Folding Install thread and the Folding FAQ. Info on Boinc is here. Don't forget to join team 223518. Check out other users Folding Rigs for ideas. Don't forget to follow the @LTTCompute for updates and other random posts about the various teams.

Follow me on Twitter for updates @Whaler_99

In slim i do not mean vertical wise, sorry for the bad explernation. I mean a full cover that is not wider than the card itself, apart from where the tubes are going.

Proberly plenty out there, proberly not. But all this is just thinking way ahead of time. it's proberly gonna be another year before i actually do something like this. But I am going for something big, so planning ahead is fine i think! :D And getting your oppinions :)

- Cool right?

I've seen this done before, and it can be done quite well, but there is a bit of work involved. I considered getting a Titan for a while, and I would have done what you're thinking of had I bought one (Let's face it the Titan's cooler is nicer than any waterblock, it's just also noisier) What can sometimes help is using a GPU block, and RAMsinks, vs. a full cover block. It usually means you don't even have to cut that much from the original cooler, as a lot of the outer screws are never used, so you can just put it back on without the GPU heatsink and it'll (almost) fit, requiring only small modifications.

The only way I've seen this done was using an "old-school" GPU waterblock like the Swiftech MCW82 and then cutting out a hole in the side of the stock shroud for the tubing. You're much better off with a full cover block. Less prone to problems.

Current Rig
AMD Ryzen 5900X - Asus ROG Strix X570-E Gaming WiFi 2 - 32 GB GSkill TridentZ RGB
GeForce RTX 3080 - WD Black SN850 1TB  - Lian Li O11 Dynamic XL

• 3 weeks later...

Okay.. So I have further developed this idea. And I have come to the conclusion that this CAN be done proberly, without it looking just a tiny bit off.. The reason for that is my choice of fullcover block...

This is what I meant by "slim" (as in not wider than the actual PCB).

So for the waterblock, this is a perfect example.. It's black, its "thin" and it does not have any piece sticking out from it... The EK-FC680 Acetal + Nickel Fullcover block:

4fWBqQE.jpg

Not only have I found a suitible waterblock, I have in the meantime discovered my favorite looking graphics card(s).

The Gainward GTX 680 Phantom:

TVnjlmt.jpg

And for documentation, the PCB is 112mm wide according to Gainward, where as the fullcover is 98,90mm according to EKWB.

Futhermore, the fullcover does not have any unneccesary parts sticking out of it.

NOTE: All the components is ment as an example/preview of what could be done.. The chances are that if the cards/fullcovers are here now, there will be some new generations of the same ones coming over the next few years, in time for my actual build.. (Yes, I WILL do a build log)

So now, let me know what you think again about this solution :P

PS:.. If I were to make that one right now, I would slam a clean backplate on the card :)

- Cool right?