Samsung Galaxy S7 EXPLODING?

hungrybonegaming

G'day all

My Galaxy S7's camera lens shattered due to extreme heat that was experienced in Sydney (Australia). Upon further investigation online, it is evident that there are thousands of similar cases to mine. However, many of these issues are in the United States. It should be noted that the crack looks like a bullet hole, with shattered edges surrounding it. There are no notable dents around the exterior of the phone. I took the phone to the Samsung Experience Store (I don't know if that exists anywhere else). The technician looked at my phone, and told me that the repair would be $265. The Australian Consumer Law states that:

- Any mobile device (such as a phone) has at least a 2 year parts and labor warranty.

- Any manufacturing errors that cause damage is covered by the manufacturer.

We conducted a Samsung VOC (Voice of Consumer) and took the issue into head office. Their reply was that they can repair the phone labor free, with the repair costing $199. I personally don't know how it costs $77 per cm2 of glass. A few days after that, we took our case to the Department of Fair Trading. However, Fair Trading in Australia only deals with contract disputes, not warranty claims. Therefore our last stop was to visit the Tribunal. After paying the $48 fee to lodge a claim, we are told that our case would visit the Civil Court in Sydney. 

I thought I would just make this public service announcement. If anyone has a similar case, be sure to write to me. I would love to hear your story.

Ultimately my question is, "Should Samsung take better class action?". I do know that Apple would have fixed the issue free of charge. But again, a Samsung phone won't do much in an Apple Store.

4 minutes ago, hungrybonegaming said:

G'day all

My Galaxy S7's camera lens shattered due to extreme heat that was experienced in Sydney (Australia). Upon further investigation online, it is evident that there are thousands of similar cases to mine. However, many of these issues are in the United States. It should be noted that the crack looks like a bullet hole, with shattered edges surrounding it. There are no notable dents around the exterior of the phone. I took the phone to the Samsung Experience Store (I don't know if that exists anywhere else). The technician looked at my phone, and told me that the repair would be $265. The Australian Consumer Law states that:

- Any mobile device (such as a phone) has at least a 2 year parts and labor warranty.

- Any manufacturing errors that cause damage is covered by the manufacturer.

We conducted a Samsung VOC (Voice of Consumer) and took the issue into head office. Their reply was that they can repair the phone labor free, with the repair costing $199. I personally don't know how it costs $77 per cm2 of glass. A few days after that, we took our case to the Department of Fair Trading. However, Fair Trading in Australia only deals with contract disputes, not warranty claims. Therefore our last stop was to visit the Tribunal. After paying the $48 fee to lodge a claim, we are told that our case would visit the Civil Court in Sydney. 

I thought I would just make this public service announcement. If anyone has a similar case, be sure to write to me. I would love to hear your story.

Ultimately my question is, "Should Samsung take better class action?". I do know that Apple would have fixed the issue free of charge. But again, a Samsung phone won't do much in an Apple Store.

Thats alot a troble to go through to get a free phone repair.

the S7 sells alot more than the Note, if it had an issue with the battery, it would have been known in matter of days or weeks, that's 10 times more users, and after a year...

whatever the guy had with his battery it's probably because of an extreme, mistake of his part.

beside this issue with samsung battery and how ppl persiste on hammering it over and over is laughable, the reaction of samsung was great, and not that many companies would have reacted the same nor as fast.

and the S7 & edge line up is by far the best smartphone of 2016, ahead of apple in ergonomy, autonomy, price, while trading blow on performance and quality.

22 minutes ago, Aladd2040 said:

Well I guess you could say that, but the repair cost $265 AUD (about $200 USD)

20 minutes ago, AG1233 said:

Isn't title of the post misleading.

Also this doesn't the fit Tech news and review format.

For those who need to read more about this Issue heres a link-http://www.digitaltrends.com/mobile/samsung-galaxy-s7-shattered-camera-glass/

Thank you for sharing that with me, I would definitely need to use this.

I understand your perspective about it not fitting the format, however this is still technically a "review" of the phone. It doesn't directly relate to this format, however could still fit.

13 minutes ago, alamox said:

the S7 sells alot more than the Note, if it had an issue with the battery, it would have been known in matter of days or weeks, that's 10 times more users, and after a year...

whatever the guy had with his battery it's probably because of an extreme, mistake of his part.

beside this issue with samsung battery and how ppl persiste on hammering it over and over is laughable, the reaction of samsung was great, and not that many companies would have reacted the same nor as fast.

and the S7 & edge line up is by far the best smartphone of 2016, ahead of apple in ergonomy, autonomy, price, while trading blow on performance and quality.

Did you read what I wrote about? I made no reference to a battery...

3 minutes ago, hungrybonegaming said:

I understand your perspective about it not fitting the format, however this is still technically a "review" of the phone. It doesn't directly relate to this format, however could still fit.

Posting Guidelines:

When creating a thread in the News subforum, please make sure your post meets the following criteria:

• Your thread must include some original input to tell the reader why it is relevant to them, and what your personal opinion on the topic is.
  • Your thread must include a link to at least one reputable source. Most of the time, this should be a respected news site.
  • Your thread should also include quotes from the cited source(s). While you shouldn't just copy the entire article, your quote should give the reader a summary of the article in a way that gives the key details, but also leaves room for them to read the full article on the linked website. Please use quote tags (the speech bubble at the top of the editor, under the  :)) to show that you have copied this content from another site.
  • The title of your thread must be relevant to the topic and should give a reader a good idea of the contents of the thread. Copying the title of the source is permitted but absolutely not required.
  • If your article is about a product or some form of media, images are always appreciated, although they are not required.
  •  

What I meant by not fitting the format is your post doesn't follow posting guidelines.

2 minutes ago, AG1233 said:

What I meant by not fitting the format is your post doesn't follow posting guidelines.

My apologies. I didn't mean to cause any harm. However, I just wanted to make a post about what I feel is an issue.

7 minutes ago, hungrybonegaming said:

Thank you for sharing that with me, I would definitely need to use this.

Member reviews go near the bottom of the page, in the Member Reviews subforums, in which I moved it to. 

USEFUL LINKS:

PSU Tier List F@H stats

2 minutes ago, TheRandomness said:

Member reviews go near the bottom of the page, in the Member Reviews subforums, in which I moved it to. 

Ok thank you :)

I want to know if you are using a case. If only dropped my phone once on pavement but it's OK and in a case. If never left it in a hot vehicle and it's doesn't go above 30C in NZ unless your boss is a dick and provides you with disgusting working conditions

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

24 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

I want to know if you are using a case. If only dropped my phone once on pavement but it's OK and in a case. If never left it in a hot vehicle and it's doesn't go above 30C in NZ unless your boss is a dick and provides you with disgusting working conditions

I was using a case, it definitely wasn't a lifeproof case. However, it is mostly made out of rubber. From what I found, the case protects the phone well.

This is a little worrying, but how exactly does this count as "exploding?"

Make sure to quote me or tag me when responding to me, or I might not know you replied! Examples:

Do this:

And make sure you do it by hitting the quote button at the bottom left of my post, and not the one inside the editor!

Or this:

@DocSwag

Buy whatever product is best for you, not what product is "best" for the market.

Interested in computer architecture? Still in middle or high school? P.M. me!

I love computer hardware and feel free to ask me anything about that (or phones). I especially like SSDs. But please do not ask me anything about Networking, programming, command line stuff, or any relatively hard software stuff. I know next to nothing about that.

Compooters:

Spoiler

Desktop:

Spoiler

CPU: i7 6700k, CPU Cooler: be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 3, Motherboard: MSI Z170a KRAIT GAMING, RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 4x4gb DDR4-2666 MHz, Storage: SanDisk SSD Plus 240gb + OCZ Vertex 180 480 GB + Western Digital Caviar Blue 1 TB 7200 RPM, Video Card: EVGA GTX 970 SSC, Case: Fractal Design Define S, Power Supply: Seasonic Focus+ Gold 650w Yay, Keyboard: Logitech G710+, Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum, Headphones: B&O H9i, Monitor: LG 29um67 (2560x1080 75hz freesync)

Home Server:

Spoiler

CPU: Pentium G4400, CPU Cooler: Stock, Motherboard: MSI h110l Pro Mini AC, RAM: Hyper X Fury DDR4 1x8gb 2133 MHz, Storage: PNY CS1311 120gb SSD + two Segate 4tb HDDs in RAID 1, Video Card: Does Intel Integrated Graphics count?, Case: Fractal Design Node 304, Power Supply: Seasonic 360w 80+ Gold, Keyboard+Mouse+Monitor: Does it matter?

Laptop (I use it for school):

Spoiler

Surface book 2 13" with an i7 8650u, 8gb RAM, 256 GB storage, and a GTX 1050

And if you're curious (or a stalker) I have a Just Black Pixel 2 XL 64gb

By the use of plural in your post I assume there are many cases of this occuring in Australia, how many exactly? 

I find it unlikely that Samsung has actually refused to repair the phones if this was indeed a quality control issue, especially given the whole note 7 situation. If anything, I think your case of the camera glass cracking is quite difficult to make, given that the way you describe it it looks like the crack being caused by negligence is more likely (not calling you a liar, just saying that if its cracked, the the most logical explanation is it was dropped, not extreme heat.)

Your title is misleading and looks clickbaity (again not meant as an insult). Given the Note 7 situation, which was handled excellently in my opinion as one affected, news of the S7 could cause quite the panic! 

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

3 hours ago, cc143 said:

By the use of plural in your post I assume there are many cases of this occuring in Australia, how many exactly? 

I find it unlikely that Samsung has actually refused to repair the phones if this was indeed a quality control issue, especially given the whole note 7 situation. If anything, I think your case of the camera glass cracking is quite difficult to make, given that the way you describe it it looks like the crack being caused by negligence is more likely (not calling you a liar, just saying that if its cracked, the the most logical explanation is it was dropped, not extreme heat.)

Your title is misleading and looks clickbaity (again not meant as an insult). Given the Note 7 situation, which was handled excellently in my opinion as one affected, news of the S7 could cause quite the panic! 

I understand your perspective, however I believe there is another reason why Samsung is trying to hide this. After the whole Note 7 case, Samsung was pushing users onto the S7. This could ultimately lead to the end of Samsung if this is a manufacturing error. 

Here are a few photos of what it looks like: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=samsung+galaxy+s7+camera+glass+breaking&num=20&safe=strict&rlz=1C5CHFA_enAU726AU726&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi3pq3j4JDSAhWCgbwKHQ_GBK4Q_AUICigD&biw=1280&bih=726#imgrc=9vX7wVKqnIHCHM:

If you google it, there are several thousand other cases that are similar to mine. Co incidence?

48 minutes ago, hungrybonegaming said:

I understand your perspective, however I believe there is another reason why Samsung is trying to hide this. After the whole Note 7 case, Samsung was pushing users onto the S7. This could ultimately lead to the end of Samsung if this is a manufacturing error. 

Here are a few photos of what it looks like: https://www.google.com.au/search?q=samsung+galaxy+s7+camera+glass+breaking&num=20&safe=strict&rlz=1C5CHFA_enAU726AU726&espv=2&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi3pq3j4JDSAhWCgbwKHQ_GBK4Q_AUICigD&biw=1280&bih=726#imgrc=9vX7wVKqnIHCHM:

If you google it, there are several thousand other cases that are similar to mine. Co incidence?

Well what you are suggesting is that Samsung has somehow managed to find and use the only sort of glass in the world that can actually crack at temperatures below 60C! Granted the heat the phone emits could also contribute, but still, I find it unlikely.

I find it way more likely for the thousands of cases to be of people who dropped their phones and either didn't notice at the time their camera was cracked, because the first thing you look at is the screen, and especially if you have a case on, you won't even look at the back if the screen is all right, or are simply lying about it. 

Also, you say thousands, but how much is that exactly, do you have actual stats that indicate that thousands of S7s have cracked camera glasses? and if yes, what % of them are actually not due to negligence? and even then, Samsung estimates a conservative sales figure of ~ 75mn devices in a single quarter, That means that conservatively there are 150mn devices out there, probably more, even accepting your premise and allowing for a very generous 100,000 phones with that issue, that is a 0.06% of all production!

That sort of number is much more likely to be due to user negligence rather than an actual manufacturing issue.  

And is actually indeed in the statistical realm of coincidences! And that is allowing for a very inflated amount of phones, a realistic number would be 10,000, with 200mn phones out there! that's miniscule! 

Furthermore, if there are indeed concerns of this being a manufacturing issue, it is in Samsung's best interest to actually repair it. I think that had the note 7 situation not unfolded, Samsung would have not even been curtuous enough to allow for the possibility this is their fault and would have asked the consumer to shoulder the repair cost outright.  

6700k|Hyper 212 EVO|Asus Z170 Deluxe|GTX970 STRIX|16gb 2400mhz Teamgroup memory|Samsung 950 PRO+ 2TB Seagate HDD| CM Realpower M1000|H440

"The tragedy of the poor is the poverty of their aspirations" Adam Smith

Take a look at my flickr?:  https://www.flickr.com/photos/150012948@N06/

I've had this same problem in England and Samsung told me over the phone without seeing it that it was my fault, I had damaged it and would have to pay to have it repaired. There are thousands of reports of this problem on the internet, there was a 70+ page thread on the Samsung forums that Samsung closed and marked as "fixed" with the advice to send the phone in and they'll repair it for a fee. They're being sued in the US in a class action suit over this exact same issue. All the main technology websites and many newspapers have covered the issue and you can see from pictures that have been published that it's the same issue. It looks like a bullet hole and Samsung's assertion that thousands of people all over the world have dropped their S7 and the same part of the phone has hit an object of the same size at the same angle with the same amount of force to break the lens in the same way but - crucially - not enough force to damage the camera underneath is just ridiculous and I will argue that in the small claims court if Samsung refuse to repair what is clearly a manufacturing defect.

Good on you for following that out. Big companies should be held accountable when their items are clearly flawed. Have you tried contacting higher levels of Samsung? The lower few rungs are always going to deny you. That's their job, and it works quite well from a business standpoint.

On 2017-02-14 at 2:43 AM, Aladd2040 said:

I think at that point it's more of a "you're doing wrong and I'm going to call you on it" move.

On 2017-02-14 at 3:27 AM, SCHISCHKA said:

Outside ambient temperature doesn't translate to inside temperatures though. Even houses can get quite hot depending on the construction.

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red