what's the smartest way to run 6 1080p monitors?

MeapO

I need to run 6 monitors (24" 1080p) and I was wondering whether it's better to run 2 1060's in sli to achieve the amount of display ports I'd need or if there is a smarter way.
fyi money < aesthetics so if your solution makes more economic sense I actually need a solution that achieves my needs and still looks nice

I think gigabyte's cards offer flex display, which allows you to plug 6 monitors into one card

Snorlax: i7 5820k @4.5ghz, Asus X99 Pro, 32gb Corsair Vengeance LPX 2666, Cryorig R1 Ultimate, Samsung 850 evo 500gb, Asus GTX 1080 ROG Strix, Corsair RM850x, NZXT H440, Hue+

Smallsnor: Huawei Matebook X

Canon AE-1 w/ 50mm f/1.8 lens

Pentax KM w/ 55mm f/1.8 SMC lens

Zenit-E w/ 58mm f/2 Helios lens

Panasonic G7 with 14-42mm f/3.5 lens

Polaroid Spectra System

The GTX 1060 does not support SLI, but the Cards above it do ;)

Main Rig: EK custom loop |2700x @ 4.25 Ghz| Msi X470 Gaming Plus | 32gb DDR4 | Aorus GTX 1080ti @ 2088 Mhz | TT Core X71 TG | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb + 256gb Toshiba NVMe + 275GB Crucial m.2

Laptop: Surface Book 2 15" |  i7 8650U 4.2 GHz | 16gb DDR3L | GTX 1060 6gb | 265GB NVMe SSD

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/9jvNnH

Just get two or three cheap cards like GTX1050 or RX460 and hook everything up to those

you could also use displayport hubs, but those are hilariously expensive

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, Davidwr80 said:

The GTX 1060 does not support SLI, but the Cards above it do ;)

which cards?

1070, 1080, titan x

Main Rig: EK custom loop |2700x @ 4.25 Ghz| Msi X470 Gaming Plus | 32gb DDR4 | Aorus GTX 1080ti @ 2088 Mhz | TT Core X71 TG | Samsung 970 Evo Plus 500gb + 256gb Toshiba NVMe + 275GB Crucial m.2

Laptop: Surface Book 2 15" |  i7 8650U 4.2 GHz | 16gb DDR3L | GTX 1060 6gb | 265GB NVMe SSD

https://de.pcpartpicker.com/list/9jvNnH

1 minute ago, RadiatingLight said:

Just get two or three cheap cards like GTX1050 or RX460 and hook everything up to those

you could also use displayport hubs, but those are hilariously expensive

i'm trying to minimalize the amount of cards i throw in this build while still being able to run the 6 monitors and I refuse to use splitters, I want this to be clean

2 minutes ago, MeapO said:

i'm trying to minimalize the amount of cards i throw in this build while still being able to run the 6 monitors and I refuse to use splitters, I want this to be clean

Dual GTX 1070 in SLI is the cheapest option I can think of, unless you want to go for dual RX4x0 series or a previous gen card

3 minutes ago, MeapO said:

well then you need to get a card with the most outputs.

GTX 1060 has 5 IIRC, and RX480 has 4 on the reference model, and 5 on AIB cards. IIRC

Just get two RX480s in CF.

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

I could be wrong, but I believe you have to have all displays plugged in to one card while using SLI.  I tried using my 2nd gtx 980 for one of my 3 monitors because it was easier to get to the DP latch and I could not enable SLI and had to change it back to the first gtx 980.  It said all connectors have to be on a single card or maybe even the first card.  It was a while ago, sorry.

I believe adding another card and not having it in SLI (doesn't have to be the same) will allow you to use the connectors from both cards.  

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

1 minute ago, 0ld_Chicken said:

I could be wrong, but I believe you have to have all displays plugged in to one card while using SLI.  I tried using my 2nd gtx 980 for one of my 3 monitors because it was easier to get to the DP latch and I could not enable SLI and had to change it back to the first gtx 980.  It said all connectors have to be on a single card or maybe even the first card.  It was a while ago, sorry.

I believe adding another card and not having it in SLI (doesn't have to be the same) will allow you to use the connectors from both cards.  

is it the same for crossfire?

is it the same for crossfire?

Yes

http://support.amd.com/en-us/search/faq/173

Desktop:

Laptop:

this might be a stupid question, but do I need to put the monitors in crossfire/sli or am I able to just run them without those and use them separately (this machine will not be running any games)

How about using the connector on your motherboard, plus the five outputs from your GPU (GTX 1060 or RX480)

Desktop:

Laptop:

1 minute ago, MeapO said:

this might be a stupid question, but do I need to put the monitors in crossfire/sli or am I able to just run them without those and use them separately (this machine will not be running any games)

It's not a stupid question at all.

Honestly, IDK

Desktop:

Laptop:

How about using the connector on your motherboard, plus the five outputs from your GPU (GTX 1060 or RX480)

but it's dvi, isn't it a bit odd to have 5 dp or hdmi and then 1 dvi?

but it's dvi, isn't it a bit odd to have 5 dp or hdmi and then 1 dvi?

it might be odd, but there's no difference in viewing quality (provided you're using DVI-D)

Desktop:

Laptop:

5 minutes ago, MeapO said:

I'm pretty sure you can.  That is basically what happened to me, all the monitors worked but it wouldn't let me enable SLI till I moved the connector back.  In theory you should be able to use a cheap pair of cards but I'm not sure how old you can go with that same idea.  

And yeah, DVI-d is good for 1080p@144hz

LTT Community Standards                                               Welcome!-A quick guide for new members to LTT

Man's Machine- i7-7700k@5.0GHz / Asus M8H / GTX 1080Ti / 4x4gb Gskill 3000 CL15  / Custom loop / 240gb Intel SSD / 3tb HDD / Corsair RM1000x / Dell S2716DG

The Lady's Rig- G3258@4.4GHz(1.39v) on Hyper 212 / Gigabyte GA-B85M / gtx750 / 8gb PNY xlr8 / 500gb seagate HDD / CS 450M / Asus PB277Q

If you could look over my build I'd appreciate that
what I'm thinking so far http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/user/MeapO/saved/4wzHxr

Get a Z-series motherboard if you're getting an overclockable CPU.

Get an SSD

If you only want display outputs, then that GPU is fine, but if you want to game, then you should get a 6GB model of the 1060

Desktop:

Laptop:

Depends on your use case, Matrox makes great multi-monitor card.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/graphics_cards/c-series/

If your looking to game on these then your looking at getting multiple high end cards ...

COMMUNITY STANDARDS   |   TECH NEWS POSTING GUIDELINES   |   FORUM STAFF

LTT Folding Users Tips, Tricks and FAQ   |   F@H & BOINC Badge Request   |   F@H Contribution    My Rig   |   Project Steamroller

I am a Moderator, but I am fallible. Discuss or debate with me as you will but please do not argue with me as that will get us nowhere.

Spoiler

Character is like a Tree and Reputation like its Shadow. The Shadow is what we think of it; The Tree is the Real thing.  ~ Abraham Lincoln

Reputation is a Lifetime to create but seconds to destroy.

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.  ~ Winston Churchill

Docendo discimus - "to teach is to learn"

CHRISTIAN MEMBER 

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

Get a Z-series motherboard if you're getting an overclockable CPU.

Get an SSD

If you only want display outputs, then that GPU is fine, but if you want to game, then you should get a 6GB model of the 1060

I won't be overclocking it, it's just cheaper than the non-K version

I won't be overclocking it, it's just cheaper than the non-K version

Really?!

Strange.

You might want to get a 6700 if it doesn't cost so much more.

Desktop:

Laptop:

5 minutes ago, SansVarnic said:

Depends on your use case, Matrox makes great multi-monitor card.

http://www.matrox.com/graphics/en/products/graphics_cards/c-series/

If your looking to game on these then your looking at getting multiple high end cards ...

Wow, forgot Matrox still exists! OP, what are you going to be using them for? 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, Jamiec1130 said:

Wow, forgot Matrox still exists! OP, what are you going to be using them for? 

I'm actually building it for someone else so I'm not exactly sure but I just know he isn't into gaming or video production which are notable the most graphics intensive