How important is G-Sync to you?

Sammael

I ask because it's the only thing on the nvidia side that I would miss going with AMD.

I am still going to go AMD this round, I have a 1440p monitor and need to upgrade from my amd 6870 1gb gpu.  The 290 + better cooler seems to be the best bang for the buck card on the market until later next year.

I hate screen tearing, but I also hate low res monitors that cost too much money for a faster refresh rate.  And so here I am, stuck.

I know some have already decided g-sync is the single most important feature ever.  Linus essentially came out of the closet in a recent video by stating that his card of choice would have to support g-sync or some equivalent.  The only card on the market that offers that is newer nvidia cards, ergo, even if mantle turned out so well it ran circles around the 780 ti in intensive games for far less money, he does not care.  

G-sync (i.e. nvidia only) or gtfo.

Are you all as in the tank for gsync as he is?  Is it that important to you?

I am impelled not to squeak like a grateful and frightened mouse, but to roar...

Until g-sync works with ips/pls panels that are high resolution its not important to me. Unless someone says they are making one I continue to buy a new 1440p pls panel before the years end. 

Spoiler

Corsair 400C- Intel i7 6700- Gigabyte Gaming 6- GTX 1080 Founders Ed. - Intel 530 120GB + 2xWD 1TB + Adata 610 256GB- 16GB 2400MHz G.Skill- Evga G2 650 PSU- Corsair H110- ASUS PB278Q- Dell u2412m- Logitech G710+ - Logitech g700 - Sennheiser PC350 SE/598se

Is it just me or is Grammar slowly becoming extinct on LTT? 

Because the effectiveness of Mantle as an environment can be offset by more computer performance (albeit at higher costs), it is not as revolutionary a development as G-Sync.

At this time we do not now if Mantle will be forever limited to AMD cards, and that G-Sync will be locked to Nvidia cards (although both companies are claiming requirements for these up-and-coming technologies as such)

Thus, I have to admit that I am in the tank for G-Sync because:

1) I already have a Nvidia card so I have a certain bias towards favoring something I will receive via lower costs (new monitor vs. new card, ya dig?)

2) Improving efficiency is good, yes: but it is the specialized feature set of cards of all manufacturers which drive the technological aspect of this field forward, not software optimizations  

<< Yo buddy, still posting? >>

INTEL I7-3770K @ 4.5 GHz | ASUS P8Z77-V | EVGA NVIDIA GTX 780 ACX 

F-15C EAGLE | ADFX-02 MORGAN

really dont care. I have seen a handful of videos explaining it and even watched the whole gsync interview on pcper and and actually understand it now but in the end I still remain blissfully ignorant. Maybe I am just blind but I dont have any issues with pc gaming.

Important enough for me to want it.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

It's a done deal for me.  From here on out I refuse to spend money on a monitor or GPU that does not support G-Sync or an equivalent.

It's always bugged me that I have to choose either capped at 60 with input delay or awful tearing.  G-Sync puts those concerns to rest.

My next monitor will be a 120Hz G-Sync monitor.  If we see a 120Hz 2560x1440 G-Sync monitor in the future, I'll upgrade to that later.  I'm okay giving up IPS; I never had it so I don't know what I'm missing.

It's really a shame; AMD would have totally sold me on the R9-290 had it not been for G-Sync.  I'm hoping G-Sync or an equivalent technology makes it to everyone.  It really, really needs to.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

I don't think the experience is worth the extra 100 some dollars. If it's so necessary to an experience, how come there are x hundred million PC gamers? If it's not necessary to the experience, why should I pay for it?

I honestly cannot see a frame delayed by 12ms with hundreds passing by every few seconds. I'm always wondering how a high-refresh rate monitor compares to GSync.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

I don't care really. I can't/won't go back to a stupid TN panel and until they got a 27/30" IPS QHD monitor with Gsync at a decent price ($100 premium at the most), I will remain content with all this screen tearing that I supposedly have right now.

I wouldn't go back to 1080p to get it so I really don't care. It's just a feature that people don't really need but they think we do. 

don't care for it at all because i don't want to pay a premium on monitors that have it. 

unless all monitors can support it without any extra costs associated with compatibility then its going to be worthless to me. 

capping my frame rates in game to avoid tearing does me just fine. 

Asrock X670E Steel Legend - AMD 7600X(5.5Ghz) -  XFX Speedster-Zero EKWB Edition 6900XTXH 

-32GB Kingston Fury Beast 6000mhz DDR5 - WB Black 1 & 2 TB NVME -EVGA 1300W G2

Full loop 2x480mm XSPC RX Rads / Thermaltake Pacific W8 Block

It's not that amazing right now because of the premium on it and the fact that it's only on TN monitors. G Sync seems useful but I wouldn't pay for it with its current price.

Case-NZXT H440 | Motherboard-Gigabyte Z77X-UD3H | RAM-Kingston HyperX Blue 2x8GB 1600MHz | CPU-Intel 3770K @ 4.3GHz at 1.215v | Heatsink-Coolermaster Hyper212 Evo | GPU-EVGA GTX660 SC | SSD-MX200 250GB | HDD-Seagate Barracuda 3TB | PSU-EVGA GS650

Mouse-Logitech G600 | Keyboard-Ducky Shine 3 MX Blue. white backlight | Headphones-Audiotechnica ATH-M50s. Beyerdynamic DT990

My future purchases will be based around it, unless AMD can offer a similar solution there is no reason to continue forking over cash and dealing with excessive power, heat, and noise chasing a sustained fps figure with input lag inducing vsync.

I definitely have to check out the technology in person, and wait for Mantle's official reveal before deciding. On paper G-Sync sounds really good but the fact that it locks to a single company & the premium you have to pay makes it unattractive.

I definitely have to check out the technology in person, and wait for Mantle's official reveal before deciding. On paper G-Sync sounds really good but the fact that it locks to a single company & the premium you have to pay makes it unattractive.

What new technology do you not have to pay a premium for? I have no doubt in a couple years all new monitors and GPUs will have this tech.

CPU: i5 4690K  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100   Motherboard: Gigabyte Z97X UD3H   Memory: G.Skill (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1866   Storage: Samsung 830 Series 128GB 2.5" SSD/Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM   GPU: EVGA GeForce GTX 660 Ti SC 2GB   Case: Cooler Master CM 690 II (Black) ATX Mid Tower   PSU: CORSAIR Enthusiast Series TX650M 650W 80 PLUS BRONZE Certified   Optical Drive: MSI DH-24AAS-17 R DVD/CD Writer   Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64 bit)

What new technology do you not have to pay a premium for? I have no doubt in a couple years all new monitors and GPUs will have this tech.

I think it's common sense & blatantly obvious what i was referring to. No other 'exclusive' feature demands ~$300 [Premium of Nvidia cards + Monitor]

But yes, it would be fantastic for Nvidia to license it to AMD, G-Sync would benefit all end users. 

I don't see myself, a person that has a high end gpu use G-sync. I see it useful in terms of low budget gpus, as they can put the settings high and they probably get low frames but with g sync you wont notice it as much.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2500K 4,6GHZ OC MB: MSI Mpower z77  RAM: Kingston Genesis 1600Mhz CL9 16GB

GPU: ASUS R9 290 Direct CUII  PSU: Corsair AX 860

It's nothing but hype. A new monitor for it to work? No thanks.

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Only if you can buy 1440p ips monitors with it in the future. Am looking forward to it. I am all for a smoother game experience. More frames are only one part of the equation.

It's nothing but hype. A new monitor for it to work? No thanks.

You're using the word hype wrong.

Mantle is nothing but hype, G-Sync is something of definable substance.

Only if you can buy 1440p ips monitors with it in the future. Am looking forward to it. I am all for a smoother game experience. More frames are only one part of the equation.

They said that there planing to have all diffrent kinds of resolutions up to 4k and diffrent refreshrates.

Im waiting for a 1440p G-sync 32"-30" Monitor.

I will probably buy it right on release date.

RTX2070OC 

They said that there planing to have all diffrent kinds of resolutions up to 4k and diffrent refreshrates.

Im waiting for a 1440p G-sync 32"-30" Monitor.

I will probably buy it right on release date.

I'm waiting for 1440p 27 inch LPS screen around 300 euro. Let the wait begin :P

I don't really see tearing... and maybe I'm not pro enough to see some lags. I'm really aware when framerate drops below 40fps ... when it's around 38 it's already like slow-motion...

but I don't have this kind of problem : Screen-tearing.png

I have an ips lg monitor overclocked to 75hz ...

You're using the word hype wrong.

Mantle is nothing but hype, G-Sync is something of definable substance.

Both are overhyped. What is G-sync supposed to improve at all? I never see any problems such as the one @FernandoTeixeira posted. i know what it is supposed to do, but I don't see anything in the technology but just another marketing move by Nvidia. Until I see the difference between G-Sync on and off, I am not convinced. 

As for mantle - if it's going to provide more than 5% improvement, I will really surprised. 

Spoiler

CPU:Intel Xeon X5660 @ 4.2 GHz RAM:6x2 GB 1600MHz DDR3 MB:Asus P6T Deluxe GPU:Asus GTX 660 TI OC Cooler:Akasa Nero 3

SSD:OCZ Vertex 3 120 GB HDD:2x640 GB WD Black Fans:2xCorsair AF 120 PSU:Seasonic 450 W 80+ Case:Thermaltake Xaser VI MX OS:Windows 10
Speakers:Altec Lansing MX5021 Keyboard:Razer Blackwidow 2013 Mouse:Logitech MX Master Monitor:Dell U2412M Headphones: Logitech G430

Big thanks to Damikiller37 for making me an awesome Intel 4004 out of trixels!

Both are overhyped. What is G-sync supposed to improve at all? I never see any problems such as the one @FernandoTeixeira posted. i know what it is supposed to do, but I don't see anything in the technology but just another marketing move by Nvidia. Until I see the difference between G-Sync on and off, I am not convinced. 

As for mantle - if it's going to provide more than 5% improvement, I will really surprised. 

I think with mantle we will have better minimum fps, but I don't think it will improve more than 5% when it comes to avg fps