Extremely Hot Gtx 1070 ROG Strix

Helltech

Title pretty much. Got a GTX 1070 ROG Strix, and at gaming load (no overclocking at all) it gets up to 101 degrees. Very quickly. The fans go ape shit almost immediately. Any ideas?

2 minutes ago, Helltech said:

Title pretty much. Got a GTX 1070 ROG Strix, and at gaming load (no overclocking at all) it gets up to 101 degrees. Very quickly. The fans go ape shit almost immediately. Any ideas?

Check if your game resoultion isn't super high. It did it with my ESO (Set it to 4k or something like that) and my gpu got very toasty

Re-apply thermal paste 

If the gpu hot if you hover your hand above it? If not could it be a sensor that is broken?

wow thats rough even when im gaming it doesnt even go above 45C. Have you tried re installing drivers?????

2 minutes ago, GeorgeKellow said:

Check if your game resoultion isn't super high. It did it with my ESO (Set it to 4k or something like that) and my gpu got very toasty

Re-apply thermal paste 

If the gpu hot if you hover your hand above it? If not could it be a sensor that is broken?

Just 2460x1400

I don't feel like taking it apart if its brand new, but I could do that.

Doesn't feel 100C hot, its warm to the touch, but that is it. 

Whats your ambient temp? 

Do you have the 0db fan mode enabled?

myb the HSF is not installed well.

To be an expert is to know more about less.

• 2014 Build --> FX 8350 4.7GHz {} ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer {} Reference GTX 980 4GB {} 2x4GB 1866MHz HyperX {} Seagate 2TB 7200rpm {} 840 EVO 120GB {} XFX PRO850W {} Noctua NH D14 {} Fractal Define R4 White Windowed
  • 2018 Build --> Ryzen 7 2700X {} ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 {} Gigabyte RTX 2070 8GB {} 2x8GB HX Fury 3200MHz {} Toshiba P300 2TB {} Kingston 480GB A1000 {} Corsair RM750W {} Enermax LIQMAX II 240 {} Fractal Focus G
  • 2021 Build --> Ryzen 9 5900X {} ASUS ROG Strix X570-F GAMING {} ASUS GeForce RTX 3080Ti ROG STRIX OC {} Gigabyte AORUS RGB DDR4 32GB {} Kingston KC2500 M.2 2280 NVMe 2TB {} Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000 {} ASUS ROG Ryujin 240 AIO {} NYXT H710i
  • Laptop --> ASUS ROG STRIX G713RS {} Ryzen 9 6900HX {} 32GB DDR5 {} RTX 3080 {} 1TB NVMe {} Win 11 Home

Contact ASUS, seems like there may be something wrong with cooling system. 

idk

1 minute ago, greeatzy said:

Whats your ambient temp? 

Do you have the 0db fan mode enabled?

myb the HSF is not installed well.

Uhh, its 72F in here. 

Yes its enabled, but the fans ramp up.

Maybe, but I'd rather not take it apart right yet. 

Shouldnt have to reapply thermal paste if its a new card either something hasnt installed properly.

1 minute ago, Helltech said:

Uhh, its 72F in here. 

Yes its enabled, but the fans ramp up.

Maybe, but I'd rather not take it apart right yet. 

Try turning off the 0db fan mode, re-install drivers, install MSI afterburner or someother program and adjust the fan curve 

To be an expert is to know more about less.

• 2014 Build --> FX 8350 4.7GHz {} ASRock Fatal1ty 990FX Killer {} Reference GTX 980 4GB {} 2x4GB 1866MHz HyperX {} Seagate 2TB 7200rpm {} 840 EVO 120GB {} XFX PRO850W {} Noctua NH D14 {} Fractal Define R4 White Windowed
  • 2018 Build --> Ryzen 7 2700X {} ASRock Fatal1ty X470 Gaming K4 {} Gigabyte RTX 2070 8GB {} 2x8GB HX Fury 3200MHz {} Toshiba P300 2TB {} Kingston 480GB A1000 {} Corsair RM750W {} Enermax LIQMAX II 240 {} Fractal Focus G
  • 2021 Build --> Ryzen 9 5900X {} ASUS ROG Strix X570-F GAMING {} ASUS GeForce RTX 3080Ti ROG STRIX OC {} Gigabyte AORUS RGB DDR4 32GB {} Kingston KC2500 M.2 2280 NVMe 2TB {} Seasonic FOCUS GX-1000 {} ASUS ROG Ryujin 240 AIO {} NYXT H710i
  • Laptop --> ASUS ROG STRIX G713RS {} Ryzen 9 6900HX {} 32GB DDR5 {} RTX 3080 {} 1TB NVMe {} Win 11 Home

Doesn't feel 100C hot, its warm to the touch, but that is it. 

That + the fact that it sounds like the fans are working makes it seem like the cooler may not be making proper contact with the GPU surface. Absolutely contact Asus. You may be able to fix it yourself if that's the problem, but in my opinion take advantage of your warranty and let them worry about it.

I can barely get my Strix 1070 to break 70°C in any game at any settings, and that's with mediocre airflow inside an H440. It is not a card that should be prone to overheating due to anything resembling normal operation, or from something simple like thermal compound performance.

11 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

hows your case ventilation?

Case is ripped open right now, so great. But besides I have a switch 810 with not much installed its fine. 

Try turning off the 0db fan mode, re-install drivers, install MSI afterburner or someother program and adjust the fan curve 

I installed MSI afterburner and made a custom fan curve myself because of this issue, but it still gets to like 80C as soon as the loading screen in FC4 starts.

That + the fact that it sounds like the fans are working makes it seem like the cooler may not be making proper contact with the GPU surface. Absolutely contact Asus. You may be able to fix it yourself if that's the problem, but in my opinion take advantage of your warranty and let them worry about it.

I can barely get my Strix 1070 to break 70°C in any game at any settings, and that's with mediocre airflow inside an H440. It is not a card that should be prone to overheating due to anything resembling normal operation, or from something simple like thermal compound performance.

Thanks, its a effin' open box on newegg, so now I see why. Took a chance and now I'm paying the price. Ill see what I can do. 

9 minutes ago, greeatzy said:

I installed MSI afterburner and made a custom fan curve myself because of this issue, but it still gets to like 80C as soon as the loading screen in FC4 starts.

6 minutes ago, Helltech said:

Thanks, its a effin' open box on newegg, so now I see why. Took a chance and now I'm paying the price. Ill see what I can do. 

Ah, I see. I think in that case you'll have to contact Newegg about a return or replacement.

Definitely contact newegg 

Project Iridium:   CPU: Intel 4820K   CPU Cooler: Custom Loop  Motherboard: Asus Rampage IV Black Edition   RAM: Avexir Blitz  Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB SSD and Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD   GPU: Asus 780 6GB Strix   Case: IN WIN 909   PSU: Corsair RM1000      Project Iridium build log http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/451088-project-iridium-build-log/

1 hour ago, typographie said:

Ah, I see. I think in that case you'll have to contact Newegg about a return or replacement.

1 hour ago, Maybach123 said:

Definitely contact newegg 

Lame, they have no replacements, it was significantly cheaper. Do you think it could be anything other than a contact problem? If so thats fixable, ya know.

18 minutes ago, Helltech said:

Lame, they have no replacements, it was significantly cheaper. Do you think it could be anything other than a contact problem? If so thats fixable, ya know.

Well, if the fans are spinning and it's still overheating the cooler may not be making contact, but that's just my theory. The reason why it's not making contact is probably the more important and scarier question. It may just be seated improperly, which can probably be fixed, or maybe it can't be seated properly because something is actually broken or defective. Or maybe the problem is something completely different (although I can't imagine what). I'm very, very reluctant to tell you to take it apart yourself.

If you're already in contact with a Newegg CSR, you may as well ask if removing the cooler will void your right to return the card if you can't fix it yourself.

5 minutes ago, typographie said:

Well, if the fans are spinning and it's still overheating the cooler may not be making contact, but that's just my theory. The reason why it's not making contact is probably the more important and scarier question. It may just be seated improperly, which can probably be fixed, or maybe it can't be seated properly because something is actually broken or defective. Or maybe the problem is something completely different (although I can't imagine what). I'm very, very reluctant to tell you to take it apart yourself.

If you're already in contact with a Newegg CSR, you may as well ask if removing the cooler will void your right to return the card if you can't fix it yourself.

Yeah I've taken apart many graphics cards, I used to water cool my cards back in the 200 series days, I just don't want to be out 400 bucks either ya know.

Yeah I've taken apart many graphics cards, I used to water cool my cards back in the 200 series days, I just don't want to be out 400 bucks either ya know.

Yeah, it's not necessarily a matter of not knowing what you're doing, it's that once you get the cooler off I don't know if you're going to find a situation that you can repair. And doing that much may leave you stuck with the card… often they cover up the screws with little VOID IF REMOVED stickers.

14 minutes ago, typographie said:

Yeah, it's not necessarily a matter of not knowing what you're doing, it's that once you get the cooler off I don't know if you're going to find a situation that you can repair. And doing that much may leave you stuck with the card… often they cover up the screws with little VOID IF REMOVED stickers.

Yeah I'm asking NewEgg right now, really sucks because the price was so good and its the one 1070 I've had my eye on. Oh well. 

Yeah it breaks their policy, bananas. :(

31 minutes ago, Helltech said:

Yeah I'm asking NewEgg right now, really sucks because the price was so good and its the one 1070 I've had my eye on. Oh well. 

Yeah it breaks their policy, bananas. :(

Hey there Helltech,

Unfortunately opening the card would void our return policy; you can shoot an e-mail to wecare@newegg.com with a reference to this post and your order number and we'll see what else we can do to assist.

Thanks,

Dakota (Newegg Support)