Before Entering US, Travelers May Have To Provide Their Social Media Passwords, Suggests DHS Head

Lmao. This is one of most absurd things I've ever heard.

CPU i7 6700 Cooling Cryorig H7 Motherboard MSI H110i Pro AC RAM Kingston HyperX Fury 16GB DDR4 2133 GPU Pulse RX 5700 XT Case Fractal Design Define Mini C Storage Trascend SSD370S 256GB + WD Black 320GB + Sandisk Ultra II 480GB + WD Blue 1TB PSU EVGA GS 550 Display Nixeus Vue24B FreeSync 144 Hz Monitor (VESA mounted) Keyboard Aorus K3 Mechanical Keyboard Mouse Logitech G402 OS Windows 10 Home 64 bit

1 minute ago, SaladFingers said:

Yes, but that can't be official. It's not like asking for your ID. If you don't have a profile, they are not able to stalk it, plain and simple. If they don't want to hire you, so be it. There is no "law" about that.

And again, nothing on facebook is private. Its database is accessible to the US government. So why would they need your login details?? To "log in" using the UI of the website? Are they really *that* clueless?

What's next, citizens will be required to get an ID and a facebook profile? This is so ridiculous its hilarious.

The US government can't just ask for complete rights to peruse the FB database. They would need some kind of subpoena/warrant depending on what kind of information they were looking for. It's much easier to just ask for the password to your account so they can look over your post/chat histories. 

And of course this is only applicable to those who have accounts or who are active users. CBP also has a right to search your computer -- that doesn't mean they can search a computer you don't own/have on you. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

6 minutes ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

If you come into any country, you have to adhere to the laws; otherwise, you get booted the fuck out or thrown in jail.

That being said, does getting their password have a real use?

I don't understand this mentality.  People travel.  Essentially, if you leave the country on a trip, you will be forced to provide this information before being granted re-entry.  That's beyond fucked.

My PC specifications are in my profile.

1 minute ago, Michael McAllister said:

I don't understand this mentality.  People travel.  Essentially, if you leave the country on a trip, you will be forced to provide this information before being granted re-entry.  That's beyond fucked.

You can already be forced to provide this information -- CBP has every right to search anything you bring into the country with you. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

The US government can't just ask for complete rights to peruse the FB database. They would need some kind of subpoena/warrant depending on what kind of information they were looking for. It's much easier to just ask for the password to your account so they can look over your post/chat histories. 

And of course this is only applicable to those who have accounts or who are active users. CBP also has a right to search your computer -- that doesn't mean they can search a computer you don't own/have on you. 

We all know that they will just take whatever information they want in the background without any warrants involved. The NSA has been doing  it for ever and using "terrorism" as an excuse never fails.

Active user or not, it doesn't matter. I can go and look you up if you happen to be an active user, but I can't possibly use it officially. Facebook is a private company not a public sector. This is like asking for your LTT account details. It's retarded.

~ Specs bellow ~

Windows 10 Pro 64-bit [UEFI]
CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

7 minutes ago, BH2062 said:

if your worried get a VPN but I think its ok

If you are being asked to hand over your social media password, a VPN is not going to do anything.

21 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

They're "official" enough to get you fired and not get you a job at all. 

To be clear, if the government wanted to do this with people living in the US, I'd have a problem with it. There are big problems with invading personal privacy rights -- mainly that eventually it will go too far and you'll end up having no privacy at all (and being told how to live your life). The only reason why this is okay (not that it will happen) imo is because it's specifically regarding the borders (a place where CBP already has the right to do basically anything they want). 

If this policy is similar to ones implemented in the past, then I believe that this can also be applied to US citizens crossing the border to get back home. 

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

2 minutes ago, SaladFingers said:

We all know that they will just take whatever information they want in the background without any warrants involved. The NSA has been doing  it for ever and using "terrorism" as an excuse never fails.

Active user or not, it doesn't matter. I can go and look you up if you happen to be an active user, but I can't possibly use it officially. Facebook is a private company not a public sector. This is like asking for your LTT account details. It's retarded.

Yes, it's not "official", but police do use social media to help in their investigations. There is a TON of pertinent information available on social media. 

1 minute ago, Blade of Grass said:

If this policy is similar to ones implemented in the past, then I believe that this can also be applied to US citizens crossing the border to get back home. 

I'm sure it can be. Numerous courts have decided that the fourth amendment doesn't really apply at borders. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, Michael McAllister said:

The government has used that same rationale to erode the privacy of citizens for a long while.  The intrusive nature of surveillance programs hasn't resulted in a safer country.  Edward Snowden has talked extensively about this thinking, and it does not hold up under scrutiny.

This is true. It's a hard thing to tackle and they are going about it the wrong way for their own citizens.

11 minutes ago, Oshino Shinobu said:

Under some circumstances, sure. But the mass gathering of citizens' data was deemed illegal. The operations of GCHQ here in the UK were also deemed illegal by the EU but our government quickly passed a law to make it legal by some loop hole. 

Right, but the OP is talking about immigrants, not citizens of the US. This should be fine to look into immigrants with all of the garbage happening.

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

You can already be forced to provide this information -- CBP has every right to search anything you bring into the country with you. 

Your password is something you know.  It's not a physical object.  If they ask for social media accounts, what's to prevent them from asking for other information?

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Right, but the OP is talking about immigrants, not citizens of the US. This should be fine to look into immigrants with all of the garbage happening.

When similar policies have been implemented in the past, they have also been applicable to citizens returning from travel

15" MBP TB

AMD 5800X | Gigabyte Aorus Master | EVGA 2060 KO Ultra | Define 7 || Blade Server: Intel 3570k | GD65 | Corsair C70 | 13TB

Your password is something you know.  It's not a physical object.  If they ask for social media accounts, what's to prevent them from asking for other information?

Border patrol can already ask you anything they want. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Blade of Grass said:

When similar policies have been implemented in the past, they have also been applicable to citizens returning from travel

I can see the logic behind why they'd do it. I'm glad I don't have to make these decisions because you're either wrong or wrong according to everyone on the internet.

Just now, djdwosk97 said:

Border patrol can already ask you anything they want. 

Border Patrol here. Could you send me your credit card information, including the CVV? Don't worry your information is safe with me.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yes, it's not "official", but police do use social media to help in their investigations. There is a TON of pertinent information available on social media.

But that's exactly my point. Anyone can use the information they find however they see fit, including employers. But just because you can see some information about me in my LTT profile it doesn't make it any less ridiculous if the government asks you for your account details. Especially if you don't even use the site. Facebook is just a website owned by random investors. It's not something anyone is required to use.

~ Specs bellow ~

CPU: Intel i7-5820k Haswell-E @ 4.5-4.7Ghz (1.366-1.431V) | CPU COOLER: Corsair H110 280mm AIO w/ 2x Noctua NF-A14 IPPC-2000 IP67 | RAM: G.Skill Ripjaws 4 32Gb (8x4Gb) DDR4 @ 2666mhz CL15 | MOBO: MSI X99S Gaming 7 ATX | GPU: MSI GTX 1080 Gaming (flashed "X") @ 2138-2151Mhz (locked 1.093V) | PSU: Corsair HX850i 850W 80+ Platinum | SSD's: Samsung Pro 950 256Gb & Samsung Evo 850 500Gb | HDD: WD Black Series 6Tb + 3Tb | AUDIO: Realtek ALC1150 HD Audio | CASE: NZXT Phantom 530 | MONITOR: LG 34UC79G 34" 2560x1080p @144hz & BenQ XL2411Z 24" 1080p @144hz | SPEAKERS: Logitech Z-5450 Digital 5.1 Speaker System | HEADSET: Sennheiser GSP 350 | KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe MX Cherry Red | MOUSE: Razer Deathadder Chroma | UPS: PowerWalker VI 2000 LCD

Mac Pro 2,1 (flashed) OS X 10.11.6 El Capitan 64-bit (NAS, Plex, HTTP Server, Game Servers) [R.I.P]
CPUs: 2x Intel Xeon X5365 @ 3.3Ghz (FSB OC) | RAM: OWC 16Gb (8x2Gb) ECC-FB DDR2 @ 1333mhz | GPU: AMD HD5870 (flashed) | HDDs: WD Black Series 3Tb, 2x WD Black Series 1Tb, WD Blue 2Tb | UPS: Fortron EP1000

4 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

This has been happening to all immigrants, not just undocumented ones either.

I highly doubt this will be useful for anything, if someone wants to do do something bad they are not gong to tell the authorities unless they are a half rate terrorist in which case there isn't much to be worried about as they will probably foil their own plans for us.

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

4 minutes ago, SaladFingers said:

But that's exactly my point. Anyone can use the information they find however they see fit, including employers. But just because you can see some information about me in my LTT profile it doesn't make it any less ridiculous if the government asks you for your account details. Especially if you don't even use the site. Facebook is just a website owned by random investors. It's not something anyone is required to use.

But it's not ridiculous. There is a lot of information about a person and their intentions on social media. If you don't have an account, then they can't do anything about it, but if you do, then they can learn a lot about you very easily. 

3 minutes ago, arbellason55 said:

I highly doubt this will be useful for anything, if someone wants to do do something bad they are not gong to tell the authorities unless they are a half rate terrorist in which case there isn't much to be worried about as they will probably foil their own plans for us.

A lot of criminals are stupid. I mean, check out the mannequin challenge where a bunch of gang members showed themselves heavily armed (illegally) and where they were located. 

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-4006922/Shootout-themed-mannequin-challenge-video-leads-arrests-Alabama-cops-investigate-marijuana-den.html

That is still a good point though, a person can just fake their account. How this would be enforced is something else entirely. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

This has been happening to all immigrants, not just undocumented ones either.

Even so, I'm not on board with excluding everyone from being checked out by something as simple as looking into social media accounts.

4 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

But it's not ridiculous. There is a lot of information about a person and their intentions on social media. If you don't have an account, then they can't do anything about it, but if you do, then they can learn a lot about you very easily. 

What's ridiculous is not them stalking profiles, it's them requiring you to have one and give them your info. It's as simple as that. Firstly because its a private company owned by random people with random users using it, secondly because if they wanted to get that information they should just ask for your permission to do so, they shouldn't need "passwords". It sounds so silly that it could be a hoax.

~ Specs bellow ~

1 minute ago, SaladFingers said:

What's ridiculous is not them stalking profiles, it's them requiring you to have one and give them your info. It's as simple as that. Firstly because its a private company owned by random people, secondly because if they wanted to get that information they should just ask for your permission to do so, they shouldn't need "passwords". It sounds so silly that it could be a hoax.

They're not requiring you to have one. If you don't have an account, then you have nothing to give them. End of discussion. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

Even so, I'm not on board with excluding everyone from being checked out by something as simple as looking into social media accounts.

I just don't understand the need for the passwords.  Social media accounts are typically public.  They could easily look up the information.

3 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

A lot of criminals are stupid. I mean, check out the mannequin challenge where a bunch of gang members showed themselves heavily armed (illegally) and where they were located. 

We shouldn't be worried about the stupid ones, it's the ones that are mostly intelligent that we should be worried about. (feels odd saying a terrorist can be intelligent)  

System

Case- Thermaltake Core V21 / CPU - i7 4790 / GPU - Asus Strix GTX 1070 / Mobo - Gigabyte Z97 mx / Ram - 4x4 gb GSkill Sniper DDR3 1866 / Storage - 2x WD Black 1tb drives, 1x 120gb OCZ SSD / Cooler - Cooler Master TX3 / PSU - EVGA G2 650w / Audio - Sennheiser PC 350 SE / Monitor - Asus 1920X1080 @60hz / Keyboard & Mouse - Cooler Master Devastator II / OS - Windows 10 Enterprise

1 minute ago, djdwosk97 said:

They're not requiring you to have one. If you don't have an account, then you have nothing to give them. End of discussion. 

Still, they don't need your password. This is so technically absurd that I can't even believe it's not a hoax.

~ Specs bellow ~

Just now, Michael McAllister said:

I just don't understand the need for the passwords.  Social media accounts are typically public.  They could easily look up the information.

Sometimes users will have certain privacy settings enabled. There's probably ways to get around that that I'm not aware of - if there is, that method should be used instead of seeking passwords, if possible.

23 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Yes. But if you choose to enter the US, then you submit to anything that CBP wants to do. 

Unless, you know, it violates the human rights convention.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*