Microsoft on PC gaming: “we lost our way”. Promises a better future

digitalnav

"I think it’s fair to say that we’ve lost our way a bit in supporting Windows games,” said Spencer. “But we’re back. Windows is incredibly important. The ‘One Microsoft’ mantra that’s come out had us looking at all the devices that Microsoft builds and truly becoming a first-party gaming studio across all devices."

“You’ll see us doing more stuff on Windows... Games For Windows LIVE will be completely shutting down in July 2014. Latest reports confirm the number of people to be saddened by this announcement at “zero”.

Source:

http://games.on.net/2013/11/microsoft-on-pc-gaming-we-lost-our-way-promises-a-better-future/

Research and Development at Digital Storm

Personal Website: www.DigitalNav.net

Free us of the crappy DirectX!

I know there is Mantle, but unlike DX, devs first have to support it and you need an AMD GPU.

My rig: CPU: Intel core i5 4670K MoBo: MSI Z87-G45 Gaming RAM: Kingston HyperX Beast 2x4GB 1600mhz CL9 GPU: EVGA GTX780 SC ACX SSD: ADATA Premier Pro SP900 256GBHDD: Western Digital RED 2TB PSU: FSP Aurum CM 750W Case: Cooler Master HAF XM OS: Windows 8 Pro

My Build log, the Snowbird (heavy WIP): http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/188011-snowbird-by-lachy/?hl=snowbird

I know there is Mantle, but unlike DX, devs have to support it and you need an AMD GPU.

The idea of Mantle is that if you develope for Mantle, you develope for DirectX by default. It's just learning it that takes time. 

Just saying. That's what I've been getting from all the explanations on what Mantle is, according to AMD's blog.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

more like "We are scared of mantle, So we're gonna try to force something new on you to help our sales!"

Corsair 600T White | Gigabyte Z77-UD3H | Intel Core i5-2500k | 8GB Gskill Ares@1600MHz | Gigabyte G1 GTX970 | OCZ ZT 550 | Western Digital Caviar Blue 500GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB | Samsung 840 EVO 250GB (boot) | Full Custom Loop | NZXT HUE

more like "We are scared of mantle, So we're gonna try to force something new on you to help our sales!"

And make you spend 90 bucks upgrading from Windows 7 to Windows 8(.1) to take advantage of it.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

I really want Mantle released already to see if it will make a difference.

image.png

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

I'll believe it when I see it.

I'll be withered and old by the time more than 10 games support it... haha.

Frostbite 3 games will. Shouldn't be long tbh.

† Christian Member †

Frostbite 3 games will. Shouldn't be long tbh.

But... thats only 2-3 more games in the next 1-2 years. If Half-Life 3 supports Mantle with SteamOS on linux..  :P

Yea right SteamOS will be my next OS or Linux. 

AMD FX 8320@ Stock - Asus M5A99X Evo R2.0 - Kingston HyperX 8GB 1600Mhz - Corsair Carbide 200R - Powercolor Radeon HD 7950 PCS+OC@970Mhz core 1400Mhz memory - Corsair CS650W - Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 
LG 22EA53VQ 21.5" - CM Storm Xornet - CM Storm Quickfire TK - Creative Inspire T3130 2.1

I know there is Mantle, but unlike DX, devs first have to support it and you need an AMD GPU.

You and I know nothing about Mantle. Also, why would a developer crack their head in coding for exclusively AMD graphic card, that don't even form 50% of Steam users:

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey

And the worst, it's not like : "We have coded the game in Mantle.. it works on all AMD GPU the same.."... no it will be "We coded the game and runs fine on R9 290.. now we have the other cards to test and perhaps require optimization, or recoding, the game for those".

Already, a less than a hand full of developers support Nvidia PhysX, despite the larger Nvidia market share. Basically only, Nvidia promoted games. Mantle will the same the story or worse.

So what's to get exited about? It works on consoles, as you have 2 or at worst 3 possible configuration of hardware, not like on PC.

If you don't want DirectX, go with OpenGL then... that things you can't even actually debug it properly, low documentation, hard to get started, and its development moves at snail paste.

But you are right.... you don't complain about free things.

Does Microsoft charge a significant amount of money for DirectX? I've been searching around and it seems like DirectX is free to develop and publish for?

If that is true, using Mantle will not take away money from MIcrosoft, unless that somehow drives an operating system switch. I think they are more afraid of the Steam Machine and its push on Linux. I know I for one will be running the SteamOS if a good amount of games support it.

Awwww yeah! :D 

[CPU: AMD FX-6100 @3.3GHz ] [MoBo: Asrock 970 Extreme4] [GPU: Gigabyte 770 OC ] [RAM: 8GB] [sSD: 64gb for OS] [PSU: 550Watt Be Quiet!] [HDD: 1TB] [CPU cooler: Be Quiet! Shadow Rock Pro Sr1]  -Did i solve your question/problem? Please click 'Marked Solved'-

But... thats only 2-3 more games in the next 1-2 years. If Half-Life 3 supports Mantle with SteamOS on linux.. :P

I think it honestly only really matters that demanding games support it. I don't need a more efficient API to help run most of the games I play any better. I do however need a boost in BF4, Star Citizen, and Crysis. These demanding engine games are the ones I need Mantle for.

Microsoft scared of Linux and Steam? Yup.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

Does Microsoft charge a significant amount of money for DirectX? I've been searching around and it seems like DirectX is free to develop and publish for?

If that is true, using Mantle will not take away money from MIcrosoft, unless that somehow drives an operating system switch. I think they are more afraid of the Steam Machine and its push on Linux. I know I for one will be running the SteamOS if a good amount of games support it.

DirectX is free to develop, and they are no licensing fees or any charge of any kind. Nvidia and AMD powerful DirectX development tools for are also free. The only thing you pay, is a new Windows license to enjoy the latest DirectX version.

As we get a bunch of interesting new features and/or optimization, it's generally not a problem for us to upgrade.

Microsoft scared of Linux and Steam? Yup.

Exactly.

Worse case scenario even if Valve ends up failing with Linux and SteamOS.... at the very least they would have given Microsoft a fright and forced them to take notice of PC gaming, which can only be a good thing.

Microsoft is finally getting their shit together.

Motherboard: MSI Z97S Krait Edition █ CPU: Intel i7-4790K █ GPU: Nvidia Geforce GTX 780Ti █ RAM: 8GB AVEXIR DDR3 1600  █ Storage: 120GB Kingston HyperX SSD + 1TB Seagate Barracuda HDD 

█ Monitor: 21.5" 1080p 60Hz  PSU: 700w █ Case: Fractal Define R4 █       ...LTT Dark Theme master race.

Project MiniConsole

I think it honestly only really matters that demanding games support it. I don't need a more efficient API to help run most of the games I play any better. I do however need a boost in BF4, Star Citizen, and Crysis. These demanding engine games are the ones I need Mantle for.

NVIDIA's GSYNC will help low-end graphics card with low framerate to enjoy gameplay without the stuttering. I think that is more important than Mantle.

Microsoft is finally getting their shit together.

Let's see... We are still talking about a company which can't release their own games (Halo) on their own operating system (windows).

they only reason why microsoft is doing that is because they might lose the pc market to Steam OS

Computer and other things (My Phanteks Enthoo Elite build is done)

Spoiler

Main Computer

Spoiler

Processor: Intel Core i7 6850k @4.5GHz
Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ROG Edition 10
Heatsink: Custom Hardline
Memory: Corsaor Dominator 16GB (4GB x2) DDR4 3000MHz 
Video Card: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW
Hard Drive: x2 OCZ ARC 100 240GB RAID 0 (Boot), Western Digital 4TB SSHD (Steam), x2 Adata 512GB (Steam)
Main GUI: Windows 10 Pro 64-bit

All That Extra Stuff

Spoiler

Monitor: x2 Dell U2414H
Keyboard: Ducky Shine 5 RGB (Cherry MX Blue)
Mouse: Logitech G502
Headset: AKG K553 Pro Studio Headphones
Speakers: Boston Accustics Home Media Theater 2.1 + Boston Accustics Soundbar
Microphone: Audio Technica AT-2035 w/ Focusrite Scarlett Solo
Sound: Creative Sound Blaster E5 DAC

Server

Spoiler

Case: Rosewill 4U Rackmount RSV-L4500

Processor: Intel Xeon E5-2670 V3 12C/24T

Motherboard: Asrock x99 Extreme 4

Ram: Kingston HyperX DDR4 2133 4x4GB

Video Card: Nvidia GT520