Windows Server 2012 R2 wont Startup Error 0xc000000e

Go to solution Solved by leadeater,

Make sure you are using the correct settings when making the USB, select legacy bios mode and other equiv options etc.

Hey there!

I am having trouble trying to boot a Windows server installer. I am using legitimate iso images from Microsoft and have gotten the same error on Windows Server 2012 R2 and Windows Server 2008 R2. I am using RUFUS to copy the files to my usb and it wont work. Ubuntu works completely fine though. Does anyone know how to fix this so i can boot into the installer.

Specs of the machine:

2 x Xeon e5110 @1.6Ghz

2 x 2gb Kingston ECC Memory

Motherboard is built on the Intel S5000VSA Platform

Cooler Master GX550 PSU

If anyone at all could help it would be much appreciated

IMG_20170204_150335611_HDR.jpg

Like if you liked it. Share it if you thought it was great. Leave a reply if you emotions are a bit more complicated   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

Try a cd or one boot if you have that. Also try a different USB stick. 

Dont have a CD. Will try a different usb (thanks for the reminder). But whats one boot?

Like if you liked it. Share it if you thought it was great. Leave a reply if you emotions are a bit more complicated   ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

1 minute ago, InitializingDev said:

Dont have a CD. Will try a different usb (thanks for the reminder). But whats one boot?

Pxe boot stupid autocorrect. 

Pxe boot might be a little far out of reach but if i get the time might try it

Different usb didnt work :(

Try YUMI instead of Rufus. I always use YUMI for putting Windows server ISOs onto a USB

Looking to buy GTX690, other multi-GPU cards, or single-slot graphics cards: 

2 hours ago, InitializingDev said:

-snip-

What setting is the BIOS set to? UEFI? Legacy BIOS?

Depending on the setting, you may need to make the USB drive using one of the three options for Rufus, MBR for legacy BIOS, GPT for UEFI, or GPT or the third one that I can't remember. Usually it's a bit of trial and error for me.

I have had it set to MBR for UEFI and BIOS. When I plugged in another drive however I found it actually worked. I plugged in a HDD with Win Server 2012 already on it and it seemed to work 

On 2/5/2017 at 11:08 AM, InitializingDev said:

I have had it set to MBR for UEFI and BIOS. When I plugged in another drive however I found it actually worked. I plugged in a HDD with Win Server 2012 already on it and it seemed to work 

boot to the windows install DVD/USB windows 8/2012+ should work. open a command prompt and type 'bootrec /rebuildbcd'

99% of the time this error occurs, it is bcd is invalid or you file system is buggered. So run a check disk on the drive also.