Game on pause...and alt-tab...GPU and CPU still running...

i_build_nanosuits

Why is that?

does anyone know why when you pause a game and drop it to the task bar...a lot of the time (most games) the GPU and CPU remain under load like it was running the game but it's running the freaking menu?!

anyone else is wondering why it take 98% GPU load and 75c to render a static pause menu?!

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

5 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Why is that?

does anyone know why when you pause a game and drop it to the task bar...a lot of the time (most games) the GPU and CPU remain under load like it was running the game but it's running the freaking menu?!

anyone else is wondering why it take 98% GPU load and 75c to render a static pause menu?!

No idea. Same thing happens to me, both with AMD and NVIDIA. Alt-tabbing from fullscreen causes clocks to jump up and coil whine to come in full force.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

Well its still producing frames?

Its not like it knows when you have alt tabbed, it just knows it needs to render shit when shit needs to be rendered

The amount of issues that would be causes by microsoft windows working with an nvidia driver to cease rendering of a specific task when alt tab is pressed would be massive.

Simply put, ask a human to cut a tree and they will stop if an earthquake hits

Ask a computer to cut a tree and it will do it until the universe implodes, even if the tree is in two, its going to chop because you told it to chop

2 minutes ago, kris2340k said:

Its not like it knows when you have alt tabbed, it just knows it needs to render shit when shit needs to be rendered

The amount of issues that would be causes by microsoft windows working with an nvidia driver to cease rendering of a specific task when alt tab is pressed would be massive.

Simply put, ask a human to cut a tree and they will stop if an earthquake hits

Ask a computer to cut a tree and it will do it until the universe implodes, even if the tree is in two, its going to chop because you told it to chop

I think he's asking more as to why it suddenly goes to full clock speeds, rather than stay at the reduced ones it was in when actually playing the game.

i7 6700K @ Stock (Yes I know) ~~~ Corsair H80i GT ~~~ GIGABYTE G1 Gaming Z170X Gaming 7 ~~~ G. Skill Ripjaws V 2x8GB DDR4-2800 ~~~ EVGA ACX 3.0 GTX 1080 SC @ 2GHz ~~~ EVGA P2 850W 80+ Platinum ~~~ Samsung 850 EVO 500GB ~~~ Crucial MX200 250GB ~~~ Crucial M500 240GB ~~~ Phanteks Enthoo Luxe

2 minutes ago, Noirgheos said:

I think he's asking more as to why it suddenly goes to full clock speeds, rather than stay at the reduced ones it was in when actually playing the game.

try it in windowed mode and report back?

Only reason I can think of that, is its harder to render something when its not exclusively asked to render the game

eg rendering fullscreen is easier than rendering in not fullscreen?

1 minute ago, kris2340k said:

try it in windowed mode and report back?

Only reason I can think of that, is its harder to render something when its not exclusively asked to render the game

eg rendering fullscreen is easier than rendering in not fullscreen?

True, the issue stops when in windowed mode, thing is, some games have issues running like that. For instance, it causes stutters for me in Witcher 3 when not in fullscreen. I'd rather keep all my games full.

1 minute ago, Noirgheos said:

True, the issue stops when in windowed mode, thing is, some games have issues running like that. For instance, it causes stutters for me in Witcher 3 when not in fullscreen. I'd rather keep all my games full.

same here, I blame the developers for not sorting out rendering handoffs. There is a proper method between the game saying "i need this to be rendered" to it showing up on a fullscreen or windowed mode. 

Is windowed and fullscreen the only option, I use borderless windowed in some games

same here, I blame the developers for not sorting out rendering handoffs. There is a proper method between the game saying "i need this to be rendered" to it showing up on a fullscreen or windowed mode. 

Is windowed and fullscreen the only option, I use borderless windowed in some games

Borderless causes those same stutters and other anomalies. 

hmmm, have a play with the nvidia settings, 

This could entirely be down to the developers not getting the rendering handoff right

Have a look in google and see if anyone else has this issue with the game?

hmmm, have a play with the nvidia settings, 

This could entirely be down to the developers not getting the rendering handoff right

Have a look in google and see if anyone else has this issue with the game?

Its not just me, been confirmed for every game that has the issues. This is why I just prefer fullscreen. Not to mention that annoying Windows watermark. Their fault for screwing up my activation key...

2 hours ago, Noirgheos said:

2 hours ago, kris2340k said:

it's rendering this menu this is resident evil 7... it's not like i'm playing the most intense part of the game im in the menu ffs....and it"s like that for so manny games...almost all of them in fact...even if i alt tab the game still load GPU and stuff,,,

Capture.png

EDIT: damn it's too small but it says 78c 100%GPU LOAD 130FPS and stuff...6gb of vram...10gb ram.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

i'm reading a walkthrough of the game in firefox and the PC is running full trottle...that's what i'm talking about and it happens with many many games.

Depend on games i think, some games will stop render while some will continue render in the background.

| Intel i7-3770@4.2Ghz | Asus Z77-V | Zotac 980 Ti Amp! Omega | DDR3 1800mhz 4GB x4 | 300GB Intel DC S3500 SSD | 512GB Plextor M5 Pro | 2x 1TB WD Blue HDD |
 | Enermax NAXN82+ 650W 80Plus Bronze | Fiio E07K | Grado SR80i | Cooler Master XB HAF EVO | Logitech G27 | Logitech G600 | CM Storm Quickfire TK | DualShock 4 |

6 hours ago, xAcid9 said:

Depend on games i think, some games will stop render while some will continue render in the background.

Just odd how alt-tabbing out causes clock speeds to get set to full, when the actual game itself uses less.