290 or 780

DAGEEK

yes.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

Gtx 780. Quieter, cooler, better looking (imo), Nvidia offers great software and support, they have good deals going on right now :)

Only victors are allowed to live... this world is merciless like that.

This question has been posted a bunch of times.

I'd grab a 290 with an aftermarket or non-reference (from board partners) cooler. They are cheaper and faster than the 780 while being very quiet. The card could run really warm if you overclock it though.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

Go Green Team or go home

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

This question has been posted a bunch of times.

I'd grab a 290 with an aftermarket or non-reference (from board partners) cooler. They are cheaper and faster than the 780 while being very quiet. The card could run really warm if you overclock it though.

from the benchmarks it looks like they are neck and neck by a few frames at stock as well as the 290x

290 for more vram and wider memory bus. Wait for aftermarket coolers.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

If you need to buy it right now, then 780.

If you can wait a month or two for aftermarket coolers, then go for the 290 in a couple months.

from the benchmarks it looks like they are neck and neck by a few frames at stock as well as the 290x

With an Arctic Accelero and OCed it gains about 13-20% in games

From the benchmarks it looks like the 290 performs about 6% faster than a 780 at stock.

Intel i5 6600k~Asus Maximus VIII Hero~G.Skill Ripjaws 4 Series 8GB DDR4-3200 CL-16~Sapphire Radeon R9 Fury Tri-X~Phanteks Enthoo Pro M~Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB~SeaSonic Snow Silent 750~BenQ XL2730Z QHD 144Hz FreeSync~Cooler Master Seidon 240M~Varmilo VA87M (Cherry MX Brown)~Corsair Vengeance M95~Oppo PM-3~Windows 10 Pro~http://pcpartpicker.com/p/ynmBnQ

From the benchmarks it looks like the 290 performs about 6% faster than a 780 at stock.

at higher res yes look at the anandtech benches at 1080p the 780 is either beating it or is on par this is also shown in other reviews to it depends where you look i guess

at higher res yes look at the anandtech benches at 1080p the 780 is either beating it or is on par this is also shown in other reviews to it depends where you look i guess

Looking at Anadtech, I just counted 5/9 games where the 290 beats the 780 at stock at 1080p. That's 56% of the time, more than the majority.

Maybe you play those 4 games where the 780 comes out on top. That's why there is some subjectivity to the matter of choosing a GPU. People have already mentioned proprietary features, but it should also be noted that if you apply an aftermarket cooler yourself, you lose warranty and risk damaging your card.

You great great perks from Nvidia cards in general like cuda technology, physx making games beautiful, gpu boost 2.0 (with the 780). And like others have said, 780 runs quieter and cooler!

If you are willing to wait get a R9 290 with a aftermarket cooler but if you need one now than yeah the 780 : /

My Rig "Corsair air 540, MSI Z87-G45, i5 4670k, EVGA ACX 780, Gskill sniper 2x8gb 1866 memory, Corsair CX500m modular 80+ bronze, corsiar h100i, toshiba 1.5tb HDD." / Peripherals "Acer H226HQLbid Black 21.5" (Main monitor), Acer S200HLAbd Black 20" (auxiliary), Razer blackwidow ultimate 2013, razer naga 2013, razer goliathus 444x355 speed edition, Sennheiser HD8 DJs"

If you don't mind the extra power consumption then the 290(non-reference) is the better deal no doubt. But if you like the shadowplay functionality and efficiency and don't mind spending 70 dollar extra go with 780.

Reasons for GTX 780:

- GPU Boost 2.0

- Cooler and quieter

- More room for overclocking

- Advanced PhysX

- G-Sync

- Higher memory clock speed

Reasons for R9 290:

- Better performance(some FPS @ stock speeds in some games)

- Mantle(no proof of it's performance boost and possible game support for some AAA games in the near future)

- Faster clock speed

- 512-bit memory interface

- More VRAM(4GB vs 3GB)

- TrueAudio

Rodakin: AKA: Hitman, Occupation: Master assassin                                                                                   ....or just a student... whatevs...