What makes life worth living?

nzpancakes
Go to solution Solved by nzpancakes,

OK. So I thank everyone for trying to help, but truth be told I haven't really gotten anywhere, I've realized the only way life can be changed to be better is to just get better grades. After attaining them, I can get a job, which in turn will get me money, which in turn will get me better things, and I can go to college, and then I can continue from there. J guess I just need to live with the terrible life until I can figure out how to motivate myself for long periods of time.

1 minute ago, nzpancakes said:

Hmmm, doesn't help much in the way of my problems, but your story calmed me down a bit, so thanks I guess

Have you ever tried to just lay back in a chair, close your eyes, and just think to yourself? Imagine yourself in whatever sort of fantasy you'd like. It's what I have to do often.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

15 minutes ago, SamStrecker said:

This is going to sound mega cheesy but when I got my Vive it was a really different experience. When you get lost in a virtual world and think its the real world you become super relaxed when you take the headset off and realize that was somewhere else. If you want to look at it scientifically our one goal in life is to successfully pass our genes on to our off spring and hopefully they do the same. If you think that is too morbid or boring look at life as a big game and things start to come to life.

I wish I had the kind of money to get one of those, I have a regular cheap Google cardboard thing with my phone but I think it's probably not the same. And no offense, but I don't think that would help.

3 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

You don't, you either fix them or you move on from them. When you turn 18 (maybe even now - dunno how it works 100%), you are eligible for many grants and loans for college. Take it and get as much education as you can in your choice of study and get you a dank ass job like I did.

Yes, and it sucked. I became super introverted when I got into high school because a ton of my "friends" ended up being total dicks to me, so I quit talking to people. There was an incident where I had to nearly fight my way out of a room of five dudes trying to be assholes to me while in auto shop class. After that, one of the girls in that class who were close with one of the guys came up to me and said "you're not one of those kids who would shoot up the school are you?" Like, you're fucking kidding me right?

High school sucked. It might suck for you. It might not. Even if it does, you have to keep your scope open to your life outside of high school. You were told you'd never see those people again right? I didn't believe that, but it's true. I don't even see the two close friends that I used to hang out with all the time anymore. Everyone, literally everyone moves on to something. Very rarely will you ever see the same people again.

So man the fuck up and get shit done =D

I wish I could do better at school but it sucks because I physically cannot force myself to do homework because I can't focus and after 2 hours of doing nothing I just give up and go back online.

13 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

At some point, my introversion just said "kick his a##!" and after that first fight, everyone backed away and let me be alone as I'd like to be.

I had a similar experience in 9th grade, kid kept making me the brunt of his jokes right in front of me. Of course his friends went along with it, some even participating. Let's just say I showed I was done taking his shit. Him and all the others were super friendly afterwards and still are to this day (except one arrogant asshole). Funny thing is he sometimes brings up that day and laughs about it since he couldn't believe I actually did something since I was and still am rather quiet except with close friends.

[Out-of-date] Want to learn how to make your own custom Windows 10 image?

Desktop: AMD R9 3900X | ASUS ROG Strix X570-F | Radeon RX 5700 XT | EVGA GTX 1080 SC | 32GB Trident Z Neo 3600MHz | 1TB 970 EVO | 256GB 840 EVO | 960GB Corsair Force LE | EVGA G2 850W | Phanteks P400S

Laptop: Intel M-5Y10c | Intel HD Graphics | 8GB RAM | 250GB Micron SSD | Asus UX305FA

Server 01: Intel Xeon D 1541 | ASRock Rack D1541D4I-2L2T | 32GB Hynix ECC DDR4 | 4x8TB Western Digital HDDs | 32TB Raw 16TB Usable

Server 02: Intel i7 7700K | Gigabye Z170N Gaming5 | 16GB Trident Z 3200MHz

I wish I could do better at school but it sucks because I physically cannot force myself to do homework because I can't focus and after 2 hours of doing nothing I just give up and go back online.

You need to find a way to get over that. The world is not going to bend over for you. You have to bend it over.

In all seriousness, figure out what gets you out of touch with the world. Music helped me when I was in college. I listened to music whenever I did school work and it helped me keep focus since I was associating something that I love with something that I'm meh about.

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Have you ever tried to just lay back in a chair, close your eyes, and just think to yourself? Imagine yourself in whatever sort of fantasy you'd like. It's what I have to do often.

Actually, I have, I do it even night. But after realizing how bad my grades are an dthe fact that I'm stupid enough not to do the homework I realize how screwed I am and start just thinking about how bad my life is

1 minute ago, Kloaked said:

You need to find a way to get over that. The world is not going to bend over for you. You have to bend it over.

In all seriousness, figure out what gets you out of touch with the world. Music helped me when I was in college. I listened to music whenever I did school work and it helped me keep focus since I was associating something that I love with something that I'm meh about.

I've tried using Music, it helps a little, and then I just start thinking about music. I just wished there was something to help me focus on homework.

1 hour ago, nzpancakes said:

OK, so, I always think about this and can never come to a concrete answer. Things people say that make life worth it is having a hobby, friends, family, job, and money. But let's say, for instance you have non of those things. Let's say you are 16, don't have any wants, have a father with cancer, brother with depression(who also doesn't want to interact with anybody but his computer and friends, also have a brother who's constantly mad and abusive, have an extended family who only cares about the eldest, have a mother who's never happy, have no friends at school (except for fake ones), are failing in school, doesn't care about any hobbies, and can't get a job. How would you get around these problems? Of course you could always just say to make more friends, but when there is actually no one is not stupid about things, it is impossible. And even if you do fix all these problems somehow, you are still forced to work until the rest of your life and then just die. So what makes life living after all theses

Things? And also, I don't want to make anyone else sad or hate me more by talking to them so I can't really do anything there.

i'm getting the same sort of thinking as you. 

i personally don't like my family too much.. i have a bit of respect of my father. very hardworking but doesn't get much in return, and rarely has much fun. the rest of my family, i don't even know. i only talk to my mom and sister, and even that's not much. but i still love them, so there's that. 

19 minutes ago, nzpancakes said:

Basically, what I don't know what I'm trying to say, I guess I just want a better way to deal with everything without having to destroy others. I always try to think about things very logically and from every angle and try not to be ignorant also. Another question, was anyone fine in middle school but then got into high school and their overall happiness just went down?

i guess my happiness went down when i left high school (which is now). i'm not exactly smart, just above average. thinking of going to college but it costs too much. applied to a couple of jobs but no response for weeks (yet?)... i'm not sure what i'm doing, or want to do, right now. honestly i am aiming to make as much money as i can so i can at least add some income to this family, since there's basically none.. but money doesn't equate happiness, least not always. but it seems my parents think it anyways, as they buy the lottery constantly.. 

there's also the fact that i was, and still am, very introverted. i had a small little group i hung out with often, but they're weren't much. now they went separate ways, so basically i have little to no friends. 

but i'll admit, i get perked up about certain things, such as astronomy, or video games, and so on. but that's pretty short-lived, and especially stuff like PC gear or video games, which cost money. 

i also used to have pretty decent drawing skills. but i haven't drawn anything in a long time.. lost motivation. 

I've tried using Music, it helps a little, and then I just start thinking about music. I just wished there was something to help me focus on homework.

Figure it out man. The better you do in high school, the better you'll be in college and when you get a real job. If you do all of this, you will get a great sense of accomplishment. You can leave all of that garbage behind and move on with your life and do whatever the hell you want.

4 minutes ago, nzpancakes said:

Actually, I have, I do it even night. But after realizing how bad my grades are an dthe fact that I'm stupid enough not to do the homework I realize how screwed I am and start just thinking about how bad my life is

How about talking to the teachers about some other assignments. I rarely did homework in high school since it was "easy" or not worth the time unless I didn't understand it. Try volunteering for an animal shelter or other department that needs help.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 

2 minutes ago, Kloaked said:

Figure it out man. The better you do in high school, the better you'll be in college and when you get a real job. If you do all of this, you will get a great sense of accomplishment. You can leave all of that garbage behind and move on with your life and do whatever the hell you want.

I realize that, and I constantly remind myself of it, and I still don't do anything about it. And I physically just can't force myself so I guess I'll just have to force myself to do it by sadness and hopefully it works.

12 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

i wish i could do this well when i sleep. lately dreaming big or fantasizing isn't working out, so i just lay there while an hour passes by, but my mind feels blank. guess i could try lucid dreaming, but that's way too... ethereal for my tastes. 

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

How about talking to the teachers about some other assignments. I rarely did homework in high school since it was "easy" or not worth the time unless I didn't understand it. Try volunteering for an animal shelter or other department that needs help.

Yes, but if I do that, then it just takes away time from me trying to do homework and will ultimately be ended because of how bad my grades are.

3 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

i wish i could do this well when i sleep. lately dreaming big or fantasizing isn't working out, so i just lay there while an hour passes by, but my mind feels blank. guess i could try lucid dreaming, but that's way too... ethereal for my tastes. 

I've thought about trying to do that but I had 3 problems, 1. I don't sleep nearly enough to have dreams, and 2. I would rather not take my chances going into the paralysis stage that can occur from trying to do them

4 minutes ago, nzpancakes said:

I've thought about trying to do that but I had 3 problems, 1. I don't sleep nearly enough to have dreams, and 2. I would rather not take my chances going into the paralysis stage that can occur from trying to do them

The paralysis is temporary, doesn't happen to often (to me at least), and is usually quick to wear off once you want to wake.

Also, you only have two points.

How much sleep do you get? Studies show at least six or seven hours for optimal health.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

OK. So I thank everyone for trying to help, but truth be told I haven't really gotten anywhere, I've realized the only way life can be changed to be better is to just get better grades. After attaining them, I can get a job, which in turn will get me money, which in turn will get me better things, and I can go to college, and then I can continue from there. J guess I just need to live with the terrible life until I can figure out how to motivate myself for long periods of time.

The paralysis is temporary, doesn't happen to often (to me at least), and is usually quick to wear off once you want to wake.

How much sleep do you get? Studies show at least six or seven hours for optimal health.

Yea, I'm pretty sure it's suppose to be like 8 for high school students and most nights I get at most 4 hours, but I just get too attached to the internet and when I try not to use my phone I just can't think because of all the ideas in my head and give up and mess around on my phone.

Yea, I'm pretty sure it's suppose to be like 8 for high school students and most nights I get at most 4 hours, but I just get too attached to the internet and when I try not to use my phone I just can't think because of all the ideas in my head and give up and mess around on my phone.

Have you ever considered hitting the gym? Camping/hiking? Sports?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

just don't end up like me and didn't even prepare at all, so i ended up with absolutely nothing.

but there are far more miserable people out there... just be aware of that. or you could do something about said miserable people. i used to volunteer and it help a fair bit

5 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Also, I was talking about the paralysis where you can't move your body but your eyes move and you are awake

Have you ever considered hitting the gym? Camping/hiking? Sports?

Yes, and all I can think of is that it would take time away from my computer. I know I'm stupid for thinking that but I can't force myself to think differently.

3 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

just don't end up like me and didn't even prepare at all, so i ended up with absolutely nothing.

but there are far more miserable people out there... just be aware of that. or you could do something about said miserable people. i used to volunteer and it help a fair bit

I realize there are worse people than me, but I think I would hate being around them because it would just make me unhappier

10 minutes ago, nzpancakes said:

Also, I was talking about the paralysis where you can't move your body but your eyes move and you are awake

That's just GABA and glycine (two fascinating neurotransmitters) still being taken up by the receptors in your muscles. That is scary though if you also hallucinate. 

8 minutes ago, nzpancakes said:

Yes, and all I can think of is that it would take time away from my computer. I know I'm stupid for thinking that but I can't force myself to think differently.

How about a desk bike thing? I love using it when I play RPGs like Dragon's Dogma and Skyrim or even horror games.

Desk Bike Thing (QVC)

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

7 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

That's just GABA and glycine (two fascinating neurotransmitters) still being taken up by the receptors in your muscles. That is scary though if you also hallucinate. 

How about a desk bike thing? I love using it when I play RPGs like Dragon's Dogma and Skyrim or even horror games.

Desk Bike Thing (QVC)

Are you saying that this could help to make me sleepy? Because trust me, it won't, I usually just break through the mentality of me being sleepy and stay up anyways, and also, I might just fall asleep in the middle of the day and not be able to sleep anyways. Anyways, I guess I should go to sleep now, seeing as how I will only have 5-6 hours of sleep by the time I wake up.

Motivation. Your life's shit when you just wallow around, play games and party. You have to stretch yourself, learn new things, and go and do things. 

- snip-