First time buyer looking for 500-750$ gameing pc

Go to solution Solved by Dinklebergers,

I have decided on the cyberpower pre-built, thank you all for the help and getting me to this decision. You where all a great help and im glad to know how kind this community is.

I am looking for a good gaming pc that i don't have to build and wont blow a hole in my wallet.

I found one that seems to have all the power i need and the price is what i was hoping to pay (i could pay 750 but i was hoping not to)

here it is: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01HNBLHAA/ref=ask_ql_qh_dp_hza

But as a first time buyer of something this strong i was wondering if there was a better option that i just didn't see searching. so i came here to ask,

Is this a good Pre-built pc? and if not, what is?

Also i already have a monitor to use but it only supports VGA but this pc docent, i can buy a new monitor but if it supports vga its just a bonus.

Keep in mind i'm using this for noting but gaming. i don't think i need a i7 or something like that.

I feel like its too much for me to build it, i don't trust myself to put it together and if i overlook one thing it could end badly. i trust the pre-built way more but if it is really that much better ill look into it.

8 minutes ago, Dinklebergers said:

I feel like its too much for me to build it, i don't trust myself to put it together and if i overlook one thing it could end badly. i trust the pre-built way more but if it is really that much better ill look into it.

tbh i would have a hard time building the same pc with similar parts without costing about the same in the end. 

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($188.69 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI B150M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.99 @ Best Buy) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB GAMING X Video Card  ($244.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $754.63
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-31 14:51 EST-0500

Perks over pre-built:

- Faster CPU

- Better graphics card

- 16GB RAM instead of 8GB

- SSD instead of Hard Drive (If you're downloading lots of games, you could trade having more RAM for having both an SSD and a Hard - Drive. Or, you could make it all cheaper by only having a Hard Drive. You get to pick!)

- Better Power Supply

- Overall smaller.

There's one con: it's $50 more and has no mouse+kb (but the ones that come with the prebuild aren't good.)

I could make it cheaper if you'd like. IT ALSO HAS NO WIFI. But, WiFi adapters are cheap.

Building a PC isn't hard. These days it's mostly plug-n-play. The most difficult part is connecting the motherboard I/O headers to the case (which isn't that hard.) It's a great learning experience, and you get better stuff for your money. There's lots of video tutorials online that show you step-by-step how to build a computer. 

That CyberPowerPC is not a ripoff, it's only about $50 more than if you built it yourself with the exact same parts. But, I like it when people get better PCs for their dollars.

I used to be quite active here.

2 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($188.69 @ SuperBiiz) 
Motherboard: MSI B150M PRO-VDH Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($66.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Memory: Team Dark 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory  ($84.99 @ Newegg) 
Storage: Sandisk SSD PLUS 240GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($69.99 @ Best Buy) 
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 8GB GAMING X Video Card  ($244.99 @ B&H) 
Case: Fractal Design Core 1000 USB 3.0 MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($38.99 @ SuperBiiz) 
Power Supply: Corsair CXM 550W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($59.99 @ Newegg) 
Total: $754.63
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-31 14:51 EST-0500

Perks over pre-built:

- Faster CPU

- Better graphics card

- 16GB RAM instead of 8GB

- SSD instead of Hard Drive (If you're downloading lots of games, you could trade having more RAM for having both an SSD and a Hard - Drive. Or, you could make it all cheaper by only having a Hard Drive. You get to pick!)

- Better Power Supply

- Overall smaller.

There's one con: it's $50 more and has no mouse+kb (but the ones that come with the prebuild aren't good.)

I could make it cheaper if you'd like.

Building a PC isn't hard. These days it's mostly plug-n-play. The most difficult part is connecting the motherboard I/O headers to the case (which isn't that hard.) It's a great learning experience, and you get better stuff for your money. There's lots of video tutorials online that show you step-by-step how to build a computer. 

That CyberPowerPC is not a ripoff, it's only about $50 less than if you built it yourself with the exact same parts. But, I like it when people get better PCs for their dollars.

you forgot operating system. 

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

$20 on Kinguin. Thanks for reminding me!

If you don't feel completely comfortable building yourself, this would be another route you could go.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K1INXJK/ref=psdc_13896597011_t1_B01HNBLHAA

Plus

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Radeon-RX-470-ARMOR/dp/B01N3TCNNW/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1485892917&sr=1-2&keywords=rx470

Comes to a total of $555.

Still considerably cheaper than the CyberPC, with pretty much the same performance and twice the storage.

You could add an SSD for the OS, and still be well under the price of the other system.

8 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

If you're going to quote someone who has a long post, please snip it...

7 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

$20 on Kinguin. Thanks for reminding me!

Not everyone likes getting their OS from such places ;)

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

MiniPC - Sold for $100 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i3 4160 Cooler: Integrated Motherboard: Integrated

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

PSU: Integrated Case: Shuttle XPC Slim

Monitor: LG 29WK500 Mouse: G.Skill MX780 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

Budget Rig 1 - Sold For $750 Profit

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 7600k Cooler: CryOrig H7 Motherboard: MSI Z270 M5

RAM: Crucial LPX 16GB DDR4 Storage: Intel S3510 800GB GPU: Nvidia GTX 980

PSU: Corsair CX650M Case: EVGA DG73

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

CPU: Intel i5 4690k Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 Motherboard: MSI Z97i AC ITX

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 Case: Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

1 minute ago, dizmo said:

I'm sure he'd rather do that than give Microsoft $100.

I'm sure he'd rather do that than give Microsoft $100.

You're right, why support the company that supports the OS right? /s

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900 Cooler: EVGA CLC280 Motherboard: Gigabyte B550i Pro AX RAM: Kingston Hyper X 32GB 3200mhz

Storage: WD 750 SE 500GB, WD 730 SE 1TB GPU: EVGA RTX 3070 Ti PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Streacom DA2

Monitor: LG 27GL83B Mouse: Razer Basilisk V2 Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red Speakers: Mackie CR5BT

Spoiler

RAM: G.Skill RipJaws 16GB DDR3 Storage: Transcend MSA370 128GB GPU: Intel 4400 Graphics

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

RAM: Crucial Ballistix 16GB DDR3 Storage: Kingston Fury 240GB GPU: Asus Strix GTX 970

Monitor: Dell P2214H x2 Mouse: Logitech MX Master Keyboard: G.Skill KM780 Cherry MX Red

3 minutes ago, dizmo said:

If you don't feel completely comfortable building yourself, this would be another route you could go.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01K1INXJK/ref=psdc_13896597011_t1_B01HNBLHAA

Plus

https://www.amazon.com/MSI-Radeon-RX-470-ARMOR/dp/B01N3TCNNW/ref=sr_1_2?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1485892917&sr=1-2&keywords=rx470

Comes to a total of $555.

Still considerably cheaper than the CyberPC, with pretty much the same performance.

If you're going to quote someone who has a long post, please snip it...

do you even know if the psu in there will support an rx 470?

You guys are really on top of this, but i think dizmo's option looks the best, i never thought of getting a decent pc and instantly upgrading it into a great one. you guys really are all helpful 

You're right, why support the company that supports the OS right? /s

Nobody cares. Been recommending Kinguin for Windows since I got on this forum, and Microsoft aren't out of business yet.

You're still buying an official license. It's just not from Microsoft. You're getting an OEM key meant for system manufacturers. And since you're building the system you put the key on, you're the original manufacturer. You're not getting pirated Windows.

2 minutes ago, Dinklebergers said:

You guys are really on top of this, but i think dizmo's option looks the best, i never thought of getting a decent pc and instantly upgrading it into a great one. you guys really are all helpful 

The problem I see with pre-built systems like the suggested, is that you dont exactly know the components used. It just says 8GB DDR4 RAM..but which? And also you dont know what motherboard or power-supply (dont underestimate it) is being used. Not a big fan of this.

That is a decent deal (pre built), I could not match it:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($188.69 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.50 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card  ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($28.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter  ($12.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard  ($9.89 @ OutletPC)
Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 100 Wired Optical Mouse  ($31.71 @ Amazon)
Total: $725.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-31 15:15 EST-0500

1 minute ago, Brooksie359 said:

do you even know if the psu in there will support an rx 470?

PSU is easy enough to swap out. Even if you had to do that, it's cheaper than building it yourself.

Good point though, didn't even think of that.

Nobody cares. Been recommending Kinguin for Windows since I got on this forum, and Microsoft aren't out of business yet.

You're still buying an official license. It's just not from Microsoft. You're getting an OEM key meant for system manufacturers. And since you're building the system you put the key on, you're the original manufacturer. You're not getting pirated Windows.

You're wrong, I do, and so do all of my friends who've built systems. I'd never buy an OS from a third party like that.

Then again we're older so perhaps it's just a money issue for you.

Not from Microsoft, therefore you're not supporting the company, just as I said.

It still affects their bottom line.

Personally I'd love to see anyone that goes that way lose any kind of support.

1 minute ago, OCXenox said:

The problem I see with pre-built systems like the suggested, is that you dont exactly know the components used. It just says 8GB DDR4 RAM..but which? And also you dont know what motherboard or power-supply (dont underestimate it) is being used. Not a big fan of this.

RAM is RAM, it doesn't really matter where it comes from. There's only a handful of companies that actually manufacture it.

The mobo is likely OEM, but again, there are only a handful of companies that produce them. If he's just looking for something that will work well and budget is a concern, it'll do the job.

The PSU would need to be replaced but that's not an expensive undertaking.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

3 minutes ago, stconquest said:

That is a decent deal (pre built), I could not match it:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6500 3.2GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($188.69 @ SuperBiiz)
Motherboard: ASRock H110M-HDS Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard  ($46.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Memory: G.Skill Aegis 8GB (1 x 8GB) DDR4-2133 Memory  ($51.99 @ Newegg)
Storage: Hitachi Ultrastar 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($39.50 @ Amazon)
Video Card: MSI Radeon RX 480 4GB ARMOR OC Video Card  ($174.99 @ Newegg)
Case: Xion XON-310_BK MicroATX Mid Tower Case  ($28.98 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: SeaSonic S12II 430W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($46.98 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit  ($92.99 @ Amazon)
Wireless Network Adapter: TP-Link TL-WN781ND PCI-Express x1 802.11b/g/n Wi-Fi Adapter  ($12.99 @ SuperBiiz)
Keyboard: Logitech K120 Wired Standard Keyboard  ($9.89 @ OutletPC)
Mouse: SteelSeries Rival 100 Wired Optical Mouse  ($31.71 @ Amazon)
Total: $725.70
Generated by PCPartPicker 2017-01-31 15:15 EST-0500

Maybe a bit cheaper mouse, a cheaper version of windows (even if dizmo isnt a fan of it ^^) and get rid of the wirless network adapter if not needed and you have a nice sub 700$ PC.

3 minutes ago, OCXenox said:

Maybe a bit cheaper mouse, a cheaper version of windows (even if dizmo isnt a fan of it ^^) and get rid of the wirless network adapter if not needed and you have a nice sub 700$ PC.

The mouse is important.  There were no great deals, but this one is inexpensive.  The Func MS-2 has been on sale for like $12 a few times over the past 6 months, no such luck.

The 6400 is $10 cheaper, but I would not drop to it.

Grey market keys... nah, might as well pirate Win7.

He sure can remove the wireless adapter, that is up to him.

I would personally do the custom build, but OP is not me.

You're wrong, I do, and so do all of my friends who've built systems. I'd never buy an OS from a third party like that.

Then again we're older so perhaps it's just a money issue for you.

Not from Microsoft, therefore you're not supporting the company, just as I said.

It still affects their bottom line.

Personally I'd love to see anyone that goes that way lose any kind of support.

Get off your high horse. Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much. "Oh well me and my friends do it!~" but you're all nobodies. My point still stands: nobody cares. Microsoft isn't suing Kinguin to high hell for reselling OEM keys, so they obviously don't care much.

Sellers on Kinguin buy keys from Microsoft, and you buy the keys from Kinguin. You're supporting Microsoft, just not directly. Even YouTubers that make much more money than you buy keys from Kinguin, so it's not about finances. I think you're just seeking to be on some moral high ground that doesn't exist anywhere other than in your head.

It doesn't affect their bottom line much, if it even does at all. If it did, they'd seek justice. Guess what they're not doing..?

i already have a great mouse, i do need the wireless adapter, and i am not sure what to think of kinguin but i think im fine with it. but i don't like the idea of getting parts from all these different places and having some but not others and waiting on that last one to get shipped. but even more so i am clumsy and could hardly put together my desk. i know making my own is a better deal now, but i don't know if im up to the task. It probably isnt the best idea but im still on the side of the cyberpower pre-built. but ill think on it for awhile

4 minutes ago, Kobathor said:

Get off your high horse. Anecdotal evidence doesn't mean much. "Oh well me and my friends do it!~" but you're all nobodies. My point still stands: nobody cares. Microsoft isn't suing Kinguin to high hell for reselling OEM keys, so they obviously don't care much.

Sellers on Kinguin buy keys from Microsoft, and you buy the keys from Kinguin. You're supporting Microsoft, just not directly. Even YouTubers that make much more money than you buy keys from Kinguin, so it's not about finances. I think you're just seeking to be on some moral high ground that doesn't exist anywhere other than in your head.

It doesn't affect their bottom line much, if it even does at all. If it did, they'd seek justice. Guess what they're not doing..?

And yet, look at all of the results on Google when you type in "should I buy Windows from Kinguin".

They pretty much all say no. Microsoft can, and has deactivated keys sold on those sites.

Do you know why YouTubers make videos about it? Views. People are wondering, so they YouTube it, watch the video, it profits the YouTuber. I'd bet that on their professional, stability matters systems they use keys purchased from authorized suppliers.

There's tons of fake iPhones out there. Why doesn't Apple sue? It's a huge undertaking for something that will just pop up again. Your argument is invalid. Since Kinguin is basically just eBay, you'd have to go after each seller. It's not financially viable. You probably think G2A is a legitimate site too, don't you?

I'll stay on my high horse, because to me it's the right place to be.

3 minutes ago, Dinklebergers said:

i already have a great mouse, i do need the wireless adapter, and i am not sure what to think of kinguin but i think im fine with it. but i don't like the idea of getting parts from all these different places and having some but not others and waiting on that last one to get shipped. but even more so i am clumsy and could hardly put together my desk. i know making my own is a better deal now, but i don't know if im up to the task. It probably isnt the best idea but im still on the side of the cyberpower pre-built. but ill think on it for awhile

You could always order from a place like NCIX, or another reputable PC company. They'll build your PC for $50ish.

But honestly, the CyberPC isn't a horrible deal by any means. To build a comparable system you'd be looking at about $675, plus $50 to build it, plus $50ish to ship it to you.

You don't need to build your own computer to have a great time. I'd say go for it.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler

I have decided on the cyberpower pre-built, thank you all for the help and getting me to this decision. You where all a great help and im glad to know how kind this community is.

8 minutes ago, dizmo said:

But honestly, the CyberPC isn't a horrible deal by any means. To build a comparable system you'd be looking at about $675, plus $50 to build it, plus $50ish to ship it to you.

I'm not sure about that, because I havent heared great stories about the intel stock cooler or especially the AMD blower style cards. And also, in my opinion, it may be advisable to get a ssd too, for the OS.

3 minutes ago, OCXenox said:

I'm not sure about that, because I havent heared great stories about the intel stock cooler or especially the AMD blower style cards. And also, in my opinion, it may be advisable to get a ssd too, for the OS.

im not willing to build a PC, so under my circumstances i think its my best option

7 minutes ago, OCXenox said:

Intel stock coolers are fine. I've used them before. You can't OC with it, but you can't OC with that chip anyway.

Blower style cards aren't too bad either.

Are there better options for both? Of course. They also cost more money.

While an SSD would be great, it adds more cost, significantly so if he's unable to migrate the data himself.

Spoiler

Spoiler

OG Gaming Rig - Gone

Spoiler