I wanna know about your desks

Dunkan77

Hello guys,

I just wanted to get a feel for the average desk size in the community and if you have your towers on it or not. I consider my desk as Small, not extra small but fairly small nonetheless: Its a weird modular Sitoca table with keyboard tray underneath the top which is expandable. There's a keyboard tray style tray (wow...) on the side for the tower, mine is a Mastercase pro 5 so it's taking up the whole space on that side tray thing (which is on rails too). Actual usable surface right now for mouse and monitor is 60 cm width and 52 cm depth... yeah

I wanna hear about you guys' setups :D 

I have a 6 foot IKEA linmon desk. I keep my tower on it. I use 2/3 of it for the setup and 1/3 as a writing area.

I'm just a random teenager from New Jersey. Why would you listen to me?

Here's my desk:  Image result for ikea computer desk

^ Not my desk, but the exact same one, courtesy of Google Images ^

Laptop on the left, monitor in the center and printer on the right. Keyboard and mouse on the sliding thingy. :)

My Daily Driver:

Acer Predator Helios 300
»« Intel Core i5-8300H »« 16GB DDR4 RAM »« NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1060 6 GB »« Silicon Power A60 512 GB M.2 SSD »« 
Toshiba PC L200 1 TB HDD »« Microsoft Windows 10 Home »«

I've got two. Both are Ikea Linnmons, one is stacked on the other a bit.

The one where my monitors, keyboard, mouse, and general workspace is 59" x 29", with 4-6 inches overlap for the other desk.

The other desk is 47" x 23". Again, this is for my PC, monitor, router, other gear (controllers, headphones, DAC/AMP.)

Best picture I've got, but it's a few months old:

view.png

Mine is 235cm wide.   160cm of it is 70cm deep, the rest is 50cm.  It's getting replaced real soon tho, it's almost 70 years old and falling apart.

On the deep part I have the tower (CM storm trooper, windowed) and a pair of 27" monitors, the other part is where my printer is. 

7 minutes ago, Jade said:

I've got two. Both are Ikea Linnmons, one is stacked on the other a bit.

The one where my monitors, keyboard, mouse, and general workspace is 59" x 29", with 4-6 inches overlap for the other desk.

The other desk is 47" x 23". Again, this is for my PC, monitor, router, other gear (controllers, headphones, DAC/AMP.)

Best picture I've got, but it's a few months old:

How is one stacked on the other if they're the same desk?

Nice setup btw.  Would you happen to remember where you got the wallpaper on your middle monitor?    I like it.  ?

I took this image directly from my setup thread on this site since I don't have to take the effort again, but you can see the size compared to two monitors and a PC. 

Ec9oDEJ.jpg

I bought two of these desks for £5 from a company that was getting rid of it, they were really sturdy but also really dirty and took us >a day to clean it out and built 1 of them, but these are really strong, and like I said, sturdy, so it was great that we saw the bargain that we did at the time.

My desk is the 29" by 59" IKEA Linmon table top. I keep my whole setup including my full tower on the desk and I've had no issues with space.

This is my current desk. It's a little messy at the moment.

Spoiler

DSC02581.JPG

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

7 minutes ago, Bleedingyamato said:

How is one stacked on the other if they're the same desk?

Nice setup btw.  Would you happen to remember where you got the wallpaper on your middle monitor?    I like it.  ?

They're only the same model, different in sizes with different legs. The longer desk has adjustable legs so that my chair's arms are the same level as the desk. I removed one of the legs on the shorter desk (the part of the desk that does overlap) and left the other 3, so the corner missing the leg rests atop the longer desk. Like so; green being the lower table's legs, red being the upper's.

The wallpaper is from Kuldar Leement, he draws a lot of stuff like that -- all 3 of my wallpapers were drawn by him.

4 minutes ago, Godlygamer23 said:

This is my current desk. It's a little messy at the moment

Nice m220s. :)

1 minute ago, Jade said:

Nice m220s. :)

Thanks. I bought them from Massdrop to replace my M30s. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

Here is my desk. It's 2m wide and has a depth of almost 1m (makes my 34" ultrawide look small). It's a very solid desk, not hollow like the ikea shelf I have or their desks. I'm lucky because my room is in the attic so I have room for it, I also have a console setup next to it with a 45" tv. I can also expand the desk to the side (making it L-shape) but I didn't install that. 

15628720_1185679598206952_1966616627_o.jpg

Here is my entire setup:

15658720_1185679564873622_876804177_o.jpg

1 minute ago, MkaiL said:

Here is my desk. It's 2m wide and has a depth of almost 1m (makes my 34" ultrawide look small). It's a very solid desk, not hollow like the ikea shelf I have or their desks. I'm lucky because my room is in the attic so I have room for it, I also have a console setup next to it with a 45" tv. I can also expand the desk to the side (making it L-shape) but I didn't install that. 

Here is my entire setup:

the room looks so clean, holy crap.

1 minute ago, MkaiL said:

Here is my entire setup:

Neat setup. The attic looks quite nice as well.

Holy **** all or your desks are bigger than mine xD Take a tape and measure out my specs on your table to get a feel for how cramped the space gets. I have space for my mousepad, my headphones when I lay them on the table then not much more... maybe a bowl and a small plate+ a glass. But that would fill the space up completely

2 minutes ago, Dunkan77 said:

Holy **** all or your desks are bigger than mine xD

Maybe it's time for an upgrade? That is if you have the room and budget for a bigger one. 

2 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

Maybe it's time for an upgrade? That is if you have the room and budget for a bigger one. 

Yeah I'm getting an upgrade in the next few weeks :) about time... I'll be able to put the landline phone, the printer and router. Much more convenient, less cable clutter. You don;t wanna see the back of my setup it's just cables shoved at the back and I'm not proud. Ugh...

20 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

Here is my entire setup:

wait... unless the EK predator 360 isn't a rad... I cant see it in your PC o.O But you have a veeery nice setup and rig. I guess you upgraded between that picture being taken and now. I want a 1070 but it's too expensive, I was looking for a used 980ti but none ships to me... I just want a bigger frame buffer bcoz the 3.5 GB I have a starting to choke my pc in modded games like witcher and Subnautica (which is just a massive VRAM hog)

2 minutes ago, Dunkan77 said:

wait... unless the EK predator 360 isn't a rad... I cant see it in your PC o.O But you have a veeery nice setup and rig. I guess you upgraded between that picture being taken and now. I want a 1070 but it's too expensive, I was looking for a used 980ti but none ships to me... I just want a gibber frame buffer bcoz the 3.5 GB I have a starting to choke my pc in modded games like witcher and Subnautica (which is just a massive VRAM hog)

What about a 1060 or RX 480?

1 minute ago, Godlygamer23 said:

What about a 1060 or RX 480?

1060 is pretty much sold out in my are (yes... how can that be?) and RX 480's just do not ship... The only time I had an opportunity for a red card to ship here was when I was choosing between r9 290 and GTX970, back then shipping was somehow less of a problem for me

See the 'current setup' link in my signature.

My desk is roughly 170cm wide, about 50cm deep. I have two monitors (24" and 22") on it and my PC tower is to the right.

The picture is a bit older though. I now have a TKL keyboard and a desk mat (that is roughly 90cm wide) and that works like a charm

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

9 minutes ago, Dunkan77 said:

wait... unless the EK predator 360 isn't a rad... I cant see it in your PC o.O But you have a veeery nice setup and rig. I guess you upgraded between that picture being taken and now. I want a 1070 but it's too expensive, I was looking for a used 980ti but none ships to me... I just want a bigger frame buffer bcoz the 3.5 GB I have a starting to choke my pc in modded games like witcher and Subnautica (which is just a massive VRAM hog)

It's actually the opposite of an upgrade. The pump started leaking so I had to rma it. I have an aircooler for now, but will be upgrading to a custom loop in the future. Amazon or other online sellers don't ship to your location?

Here a pic before the downgrade:

Spoiler

15007749_1140424989399080_1172347294_o.jpg

57 minutes ago, MkaiL said:

It's actually the opposite of an upgrade. The pump started leaking so I had to rma it. I have an aircooler for now, but will be upgrading to a custom loop in the future. Amazon or other online sellers don't ship to your location?

Ah... that sucks :/ 
And yeah very few ship to my location but I just checked and there's a strix 8gb rx 480 available. My prime concern is will it OC well? and temps because even the new ones heat up a lot. I don't have the budget right now anyway so maybe later in the year I'll make a choice between something current gen or used last gen

I have a random ikea desk, must be about 1M wide. I don't have the tower on it because there wouldn't be room for the 3 screens and because it would probably end breaking the desk with its weight.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

L-Shaped desk from Costco. Would have prefered a U-Shape desk but it was a gift from an ex-girlfriend.

Given the size of my office, I ended up adding a Linnmon tabletop from Ikea to enlarge the space. Desiring a bit more storage, I changed my case from a BitFenix Prodigy that used to sit on the floor to a Node 202, so that I could add a Kullen dresser for underneath and got new monitors to make it a more consistent look. Not sure if I'll change anything else as I go forward but we'll see.

IMG_20170115_0058263.jpg