Nintendo Switch - Hands On/First Look

1 minute ago, skywake said:

Depends on what you're after. Personally I'm getting it anyway for the Nintendo exclusives, doesn't matter how good the actual device is or not. But even if I wasn't a Nintendo fanboy I think the different form factor makes it a nice complimentary device for my PC. I have my PC for games like Doom at home and I have my Switch for filling in the gaps. If it was Sony making this rather than Nintendo I'd probably still get it... just after E3 instead of at launch....

Indeed. It almost always comes down to that, and I would like to see how the Switch graphically compares to the other consoles(how much worse it's going to be, and how the frame rate's going to be), and also what comes will come to it versus the others. I'm not too interested in multi-platform games as I will probably get those on my PC when the price is right. Exclusives might be more interesting to me. The gameplay style is the most interesting factor to me with the Switch. 

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

My phone would probably be dead in an hour or 2, the snapdragon 820 is pretty power hungry.

The battery life that they claim, if it holds true, that would be impressive for a 4300mAh battery, though I wonder why they didn't go with a larger battery. I would have liked to have seen a 9000mAh battery like in some of the modern android tablets.

@Slick How was the comfort level of the controls?  They look extremely small and cramped. Did you ever test out the Joycon holding it horizontally for multiplayer use? That is what worry me the most for comfort level.

23 minutes ago, Kuuma said:

@Slick How was the comfort level of the controls?  They look extremely small and cramped. Did you ever test out the Joycon holding it horizontally for multiplayer use? That is what worry me the most for comfort level.

It's cramped.. Not a huge deal but I wouldn't play anything serious or competitive that way, it's fine when you're using both but one sideways is pretty bad for my size of hands 

Not going to comment further until I have a wider range of people I know try it because my views are skewed due to hand size 

14 hours ago, Kuuma said:

If you care, the general concusses that I gather form people that had a chance to play with the Switch is that:

Attached on the side of the console or the JoyCon Grip, the experience is perfectly fine and enjoyable. Using each joycons separately (in in each hands) is great also. You can play at a more relaxed position. However, playing with only the halves of the joycons, you probably will want to slide in the included wrist strap to make the controller less cramp, but it is still cramp regardless. It's ok for a casual short 2x player game on the go, going beyond will not be comfortable (unless you have small hands, like a kids hand).  But anything more serious, you really want a normal controller. So use the included Joycon grip, or use the controller attached on the side of the system.

You don't really need the Pro controller, unless you really want that D-pad. People who played Street Fighter says that you don't need the D-Pad, as the analogue stick and/or the game is really well designed for it, so it works out. Of course, that was feedback from non-pro competitive players. So try and see. If you feel you want it, get it. No need to run and buy it day 1 with the system, basically.