what to do with old pc parts

manlykeweaver465
1 minute ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

title says it all

What parts? Do they work? Title does not say it all...

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Make a server and host a website?

PC Specs:

CPU: Intel i9 12900K

CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H150i Elite Capellix

Mother Board: MSI z690 carbon WiFi

RAM: TeamSport Elite DDR5 2x16 4800mhz

Storage: 2TB Samsung 970 Plus NVMe, 240 SanDisk SSD Plus, Crucial MX300 750GB SSD

GPU: Gigabyte G1 Gaming GTX 1080 

Case: Corsair Crystal 460X

PSU: Cosrair RM850X 80+ Gold

Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU 27" 1440p @ 165hz

Keyboard: Razer Black Widow Chroma

Mouse: Logitech G502

Sound: Sony MDR 1000x Headphones, Blue Snowball Microphone

Laptop Specs:

Gigabyte Aorus 15G

CPU: Intel i7 10875H

RAM: 16gb DDR4

Storage: 512gb NVMe, 1TB Crucial MX300 SATA SSD

GPU: Nvidia RTX 2070 Max-Q

make an X where you see fit:

[  ] sell

[  ] re-use

[  ] destroy

[  ] throw away

[  ] put em in a rocket headed for Sagitarius A

no other possible options left. Take one of those

You could recycle them... but that might do more harm than good.

Personally, I keep old parts around for spares/troubleshooting, or, if I had enough I'd build another PC to be a HTPC / NAS / server of some kind.

Some parts get donated to my sisters rig if they'd make a nice upgrade for her.

"title says it all"

Not really, it depends on the part, how "old" they are, whether they still work..

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

If you have something like an i7-860/70/80 then I might be interested...

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

I used to use them as practice targets when I was big on paintball

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

13 minutes ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

[  ] sell

[  ] re-use

[  ] destroy

[  ] throw away

they aint worth reselling so i was thinking about making a bit torrent server, or HTPC

2 hours ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

they aint worth reselling so i was thinking about making a bit torrent server, or HTPC

What...parts...do...you...have??!

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

I repurposed my old hardware into a server providing storage, auto backup, network malware scanning and for rendering as it is running 24/7. Only an i5 and 8gb of ram but does more than enough. 

Depends on what you have though. Better specs will mean more options. 

Retried Battlefield Moderator EA Star Wars Battlefront Senior Moderator  Battlefield Moderator and EA Champion

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

What...parts...do...you...have??!

some dual core amd processor 4gb ram and a gtx 750 

13 minutes ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

so why don't you do "a bit torrent server, or HTPC" then ??????????????

seriously ....

need to ignore trolls a lot more.

2 hours ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

some dual core amd processor 4gb ram and a gtx 750 

How much would you sell it all for?

SPECS:

🏳️‍🌈

I keep them as spares in case something of mine ever breaks, or if I need to use it for troubleshooting and swapping out parts. That being said, I've never actually used them in that way... and the longer you keep them around the more value they lose.

I would recommend selling them as soon as possible to get as much money as you can. even if they're not worth that much, it's better than what they'll sell for in a few years time when they're completely worthless.

Just stick them on ebay, make the buyer pay for packaging, and you can't lose. :) put them at a low bidding price and you'd be surprised what you get.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

48 minutes ago, treeroy said:

I keep them as spares in case something of mine ever breaks, or if I need to use it for troubleshooting and swapping out parts. That being said, I've never actually used them in that way... and the longer you keep them around the more value they lose.

I would recommend selling them as soon as possible to get as much money as you can. even if they're not worth that much, it's better than what they'll sell for in a few years time when they're completely worthless.

Just stick them on ebay, make the buyer pay for packaging, and you can't lose. :) put them at a low bidding price and you'd be surprised what you get.

id probably be able to sell the 750 but the old amd mobo and cpu and the gt 520 wont sell for much 

2 hours ago, XenosTech said:

I used to use them as practice targets when I was big on paintball

Ha! Could train with that hmm... interesting and I think my neighbours would appreciate it :P

I still have (almost) all my old parts. Gotta say it's just about enough to rebuild my first pc but hey it's something.

Actually that's still a project I got coming up and use it as a NAS or something.

For a bit of a price indication, I bought a 750 Ti a couple of months back for €75 on an EBAY equivalent.

The evolutionist: CPU: i5-2500k 4.5 GHz OC CPU-COOLER: LEPA Aquachanger 240 AIO GPU: AMD RADEON HD 6670* RAM: 2X 4GB DDR3 MB: ASUS P67 Sabertooth Rev. 3 PSU: Cooler Master PSU CASE: Aerocool Strike-X One BOOT DRIVE: OCZ Octane 256GB SSD DATA DRIVE: 1TB Western Digital WDC & 3TB Western Digital WDC OS: Windows 10 Professional x64

*Loaner to replace my recently died ASUS GTX 750Ti-PH-2GD5. May you rest in peace

If you have a pc and you replace all parts of that pc, is it still the same pc?

7 minutes ago, tauwtech said:

Ha! Could train with that hmm... interesting and I think my neighbours would appreciate it :P

I still have (almost) all my old parts. Gotta say it's just about enough to rebuild my first pc but hey it's something.

Actually that's still a project I got coming up and use it as a NAS or something.

For a bit of a price indication, I bought a 750 Ti a couple of months back for €75 on an EBAY equivalent.

By old I mean ddr/ddr2, rimms, dimms like that kind of old lol

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

3 hours ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

I done this with my old Winchester athlon rig (3.2ghz dual core)  ended up tearing it down and replacing it with low power SOC solutions,  old hardware burns electricity

PC:

Monolith(Laptop): CPU: i7 5700HQ GPU: GTX 980M 8GB RAM: 2x8GB 1600MHz Storage: 2x128GB Samsung 850 EVO(Raid 0) + 1TB HGST 7200RPM Model: Gigabyte P35XV4 Mouse: Razer Orochi Headset: Turtle Beach Stealth 450

IoT:

Router: Netgear D7000 Nighthawk

NAS: Synology DS218j, 2x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf

Media Accelerator: Nvidia Shield via Plex

Phone: Sony Xperia X Compact

34 minutes ago, manlykeweaver465 said:

id probably be able to sell the 750 but the old amd mobo and cpu and the gt 520 wont sell for much 

Personally coming from an extreme budget system (Still running a Pentium 4( i would probably be willing to pick up that mobo & cpu combo. assuming i can find some money #BrokeLyfee

11 minutes ago, XenosTech said:

By old I mean ddr/ddr2, rimms, dimms like that kind of old lol

Haha yeah I was talking about DDR2 age as well but I picked up 750 somewhere on the page. Some 9600 Gt's gathering dust at my place

The evolutionist: CPU: i5-2500k 4.5 GHz OC CPU-COOLER: LEPA Aquachanger 240 AIO GPU: AMD RADEON HD 6670* RAM: 2X 4GB DDR3 MB: ASUS P67 Sabertooth Rev. 3 PSU: Cooler Master PSU CASE: Aerocool Strike-X One BOOT DRIVE: OCZ Octane 256GB SSD DATA DRIVE: 1TB Western Digital WDC & 3TB Western Digital WDC OS: Windows 10 Professional x64

*Loaner to replace my recently died ASUS GTX 750Ti-PH-2GD5. May you rest in peace

If you have a pc and you replace all parts of that pc, is it still the same pc?

5 hours ago, ItsTheDuckAgain said:

[  ] sell

[  ] re-use

[  ] destroy

[  ] throw away

I couldn't find my CPU after I shot it.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!

4 minutes ago, cms86 said:

CPU FAN Coolers make great paper weights! 

Nah mate, use a graphics card, make sure it has a backplate, take the fans off, cup holder. If you can, use it in a car.

Specs v-v

Spoiler

Cpu: Ryzen 9 3900x @ 1.1v / Motherboard: Asus Prime X570-P / Ram: 32GB 3000Mhz 16-16-16-36 Team Vulcan (4x8GB) / Storage: 1x 1TB Lite-on EP2, 2x 128GB PM851 SSD, 3x 1TB WD Blues / Gpu: GTX Titan X (Pascal) / Case: Corsair 400c Carbide / Psu: Corsair RMi 750w / OS: Windows 10

Spoiler

I'm lonely, PM me to be my friend!