Laptop Fan question

Hi everyone,

my laptop is having an overheating issue. It has always ran hot, the i7 720qm run hotter than most cpu's but its getting too hot and blue screening.  It idles around 60 c, and browsing and other low cpu tasks bring it to mid 70 c.  Once gaming within 5 minutes it is thermal throttling at 100 c then eventually BSOD.  So the problem is the fan hardly spins up.  When I first got the laptop it used to be loud.  

I've tried using compressed air, making sure cooling is on active, using a laptop cooler nothing works.  Do you guys think it could be the fan going bad?

One thing interesting is I can't get any hardware monitoring program to show the fan speed.  This used to not be a problem.  Maybe a bios problem then?  The over heating issue is definitely because the fan isn't spinning fast enough but how do I fix it?

Thanks in advanced.

Have you tried replacing the thermal paste and cleaning the fan? I had an overheating issues with my computer as well a little while back and felt the same thing. Later I found that it was because of the dust the airflow was terrible.

Quote me to get a reply!

I'd take it apart, clean out all the dust from the ventilation, heatsinks, and fan. Put it back together and check the temperatures. If it's still toasty try replacing the thermal paste on the cpu.

More often than not you can't see how fast the fans on a laptop are spinning, the only time I've been able to was with my Alienware but it was only visible in the bios.

-The Bellerophon- Obsidian 550D-i5-3570k@4.5Ghz -Asus Sabertooth Z77-16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 1866Mhz-x2 EVGA GTX 760 Dual FTW 4GB-Creative Sound Blaster XF-i Titanium-OCZ Vertex Plus 120GB-Seagate Barracuda 2TB- https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/60154-the-not-really-a-build-log-build-log/ Twofold http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/121043-twofold-a-dual-itx-system/ How great is EVGA? http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/110662-evga-how-great-are-they/#entry1478299

I would try using Speedfan to see if you are able to control your cpu fan and replace thermal paste.

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

either speed up the fans or apply better thermal paste 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point