Galaxy S 4 has best battery life, iPhone 5s well behind other smartphones in new tests

Youbetternot

This is pretty interesting too look at. I would say this is my response to the topic about getting insane battery life http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/72543-anyone-else-getting-uber-good-battery-life-on-there-gs4/. The iphone's do good in web browsing, but can't last call time for life.

a57e13fd-3696-4a42-8478-13b3a69195c4_iPh

58203.png

58202.png

58204.png

Has meager battery life on your iPhone left you feeling drained? You're probably not alone. Some new tests show that Apple's latest smartphone may not actually be the juiciest device on the market. In fact, it may not even be in the top five.

According to consumer review blog Which?, the Samsung Galaxy S 4, HTC One and Samsung Galaxy S 4 mini all ranked higher than the iPhone 5s when it came to talk time, with the S4 clocking in at 1051 minutes and the new iPhone at 651. For battery life during Internet use, the 5s is ranked even lower, at number seven. The S4 was again number one at 405 minutes, but phones like BlackBerry's Z10 and Nokia's Lumia 1020 also beat out the iPhone 5s and 5c here (rated at 298 and 252 minutes respectively).

At the launch of the iPhone 5s, some reviews and tests revealed the iPhone 5s as, though packing a slightly larger battery, offering about the same daily rate of drain as last year's iPhone 5. Technology site AnandTech put Apple's newest phone through a rigorous series of tests and found it to be lagging behind several phones on the market in a WiFi web browsing time test - including the iPhone 5 - though it was the leader of the pack in the LTE web browsing time test. In a similar testing of talk time on the iPhone 5s, AnandTech ranked the device 9th behind seven Android smartphones, as well as Apple's own iPhone 5c.

For what it's worth, the trials AnandTech conducted show the Samsung Galaxy S 4, a device Which? tagged as number one, well back in the pack in both the web browsing and talk time tests.

So, what do all these numbers and rankings mean? We're not going to pretend to know which device will undoubtedly offer the best battery life for your day to day, though taken together these two studies do paint a picture of the battery-power landscape among current smartphones. 

source: http://news.yahoo.com/tests-show-iphone-5s-behind-other-smartphones-in-battery-life-185724652.html

407dd562-4d6b-4403-84cc-2c3d5d298832_bat

# -_-     [Planned RIg AKA Project ARES    -_-#

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

Maybe because the iphone 5s has a smaller battery? This test is irrelevant, efficiency is what matters...  Not how big your screen is and how big of a battery you can fit behind it.

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

I wanna see the Note 3 on that chart...

I like the color scheme of Noctua fans. Deal with it. Forget about the bad memories of the past.

"wunder you really are as straight as a rainbow" - Lanoi "can I fisterino your nose" - WunderWuffle

Forget about the bad memories of the past, take the good ones along with you through the present, and look forwards to the good things that will come in the future.

Case: NZXT Phantom PSU: EVGA G2 650w Motherboard: Asus Z97-Pro (Wifi-AC) CPU: 4690K @4.2ghz/1.2V Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Ram: Kingston HyperX FURY 16GB 1866mhz GPU: Gigabyte G1 GTX970 Storage: (2x) WD Caviar Blue 1TB, Crucial MX100 256GB SSD, Samsung 840 SSD Wifi: TP Link WDN4800

Donkeys are love, Donkeys are life.                    "No answer means no problem!" - Luke 2015

Maybe because the iphone 5s has a smaller battery? This test is irrelevant, efficiency is what matters...  Not how big your screen is and how big of a battery you can fit behind it.

It's not a competition to see who's battery tech is the most advanced, it's to see how long the phones last if you used them.

>G2

>3000mAh battery

Do it benchmarkers, do it. 

You demand it I give you look at original post

| AMD FX-8350 4.0GHz 8-Core | Be Quiet DARK ROCK 2 57.9 CFM Fluid Dynamic Bearing | Asus Crosshair V Formula-Z  |G.Skill Ripjaws X 8GB Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM |Samsung 840 Series 250GB 2.5" SSD | Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 3GB  |Fractal Design Define R4 w/Window (Black Pearl) ATX Mid Tower|Gelid Solutions Silent 14 PWM 74.5 CFM 140mm x3 |Corsair RM Series 750 Watt ATX/EPS 80PLUS Gold-Certified Power Supply|

|Rosewill RNX-N250PCe | Windows 8  | Acer H236HLbid 23.0" |Corsair Vengeance K70 
Corsair Vengeance M65 Wired Laser | STEELSERIES QCK Black|Sennheiser HD 558Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer         

It's not a competition to see who's battery tech is the most advanced, it's to see how long the phones last if you used them.

They're not too far off, the 5S being more efficient.  What you said is like comparing two vehicles with different horsepower, of course the higher horsepower is going to win, but how much horsepower per cubic inch is what matters.  Also, this has nothing to do with battery tech, a milliamp is a milliamp and the 5S uses them more efficiently which is what really matters.  If the 5S had a 2600mAh battery it would get 494 minutes of internet time.

Galaxy S4 6.4mAh per minute

iPhone 5S 5.2mAh per minute

Available from 3pm to Midnight Eastern Time (GMT-5). (>'-')> <('-'<) ^(' - ')^ <('-'<) (>'-')> You can't stop the kirby dance. 

4770k | Gigabyte GTX 970 Mini | Lian Li PC-TU100B | MSI Z87I 2x8GB G.Skill Sniper | Noctua NH-L9i Silverstone Strider 450W SFX | Windows 10 | 2x 250GB 840 Evo Rad 0 1x 1TB WD 2.5" | 25% gaming, 25% CAD and rendering, and 50% web browsing.

They're not too far off, the 5S being more efficient.  What you said is like comparing two vehicles with different horsepower, of course the higher horsepower is going to win, but how much horsepower per cubic inch is what matters.  Also, this has nothing to do with battery tech, a milliamp is a milliamp and the 5S uses them more efficiently which is what really matters, if the 5S had a 2600mAh battery it would get 494 minutes of internet time.

Galaxy S4 6.4mAh per minute

iPhone 5S 5.2mAh per minute

The rate at which they consume battery power is not really useful since their battery sizes are different.  If they were theoretically the same size then sure, but in real life they are different, and when a consumer buys them, they will have different size batteries, so if that helps one last longer through the day then so be it.  That's the point of the test, to see how long they last.

The rate at which they consume battery power is not really useful since their battery sizes are different.  If they were theoretically the same size then sure, but in real life they are different, and when a consumer buys them, they will have different size batteries, so if that helps one last longer through the day then so be it.  That's the point of the test, to see how long they last.

Where I live, if both phones had the same size battery, the S4 would waste $12.06 worth of electricity annually doing the same thing that the 5S was doing.

Where I live, if both phones had the same size battery, the S4 would waste $12.06 worth of electricity annually doing the same thing that the 5S was doing.

Both of you have a point, competition wise apple is ahead because they are more efficient. But that won't help a consumer if the S4 is usable for longer anyways.

The consumer has to decide in the end between having a large display and with that a bigger battery, or having a smaller display and a smaller battery.

A comparison in this szenario is just completely pointless. And 12$ in a year is really not something to discuss over.

Who cares if I can't listen to music on my drive home from work because my battery is dead?

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I can still barely get through a day with my S4...

My friend only gets less than four hours of screen time lol.

The G2 seems to be great in terms of battery life. :)

Hello and Welcome to LTT Forum!

If you are a new member, please read the rules located in "Forum News and Info". Thanks!  :)

Linus Tech Tips Forum Code of Conduct           FAQ           Privacy Policy & Legal Disclaimer

Too bad they didn't include the Blackberry Z30 in these tests.  The phone has a ridiculous long battery life.

| Currently no gaming rig | Dell XPS 13 (9343) |

| Samsung Galaxy Note5 | Gear VR | Nvidia Shield Tab | Xbox One |

in thirty minutes, my iPhone 5 on LTE using it to watch Netflix and I lose approximately 25-30% in thirty or so minutes...

I can't get through half a day without charging...

Well thats what I get for being an extreme power user having everything on at the same time.

Definitely felt like my S4 drained battery a lot more than that.

Desktop: Intel i5-3570K (stock) | Asus Sabertooth Z77 | G.Skill RipJaw 16GB 1600MHz | Samsung 840 120GB | EVGA GTX 680 SC+ 2GB | Fractal Design R4 | Windows 8 Pro (soon to have dual boot Mac OS X)

Retina Macbook Pro : Intel i7-3840QM | 16GB 1600 MHz | 256GB SSD | Nvidia GT 650M 1GB | Mac OS X 10.8.5

maybe you guys are getting bad numbers because your screen brightness is up and bluetooth turned on, push notifications running... etc

all these phones are from different manufacturers with different software and hardware, there is no apples to apples comparison here.

2017 Macbook Pro 15 inch

I think the point is, as a consumer, I don't care what the software or hardware is, battery life is a real metric that can influence my decision.

maybe you guys are getting bad numbers because your screen brightness is up and bluetooth turned on, push notifications running... etc

all these phones are from different manufacturers with different software and hardware, there is no apples to apples comparison here.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

I love my S4 best battery life of any phone I have owned. I have absolutely no complaints on the S4

PC Specs: CPU: Intel i7 4770K / CPU COOLER: Corsair H100i / Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120Gig and Seagate Barracuda 1Tb / Motherboard: MSI Z97 Gaming-7 / GPU: EVGA GTX 780 SC ACX / Power Supply: SeaSonic M12II 850watt / Case: Corsair 750D 680 Coaster