Sony and LG dropping support for 3D TV

Qub3d

http://www.mirror.co.uk/tech/3d-tv-officially-dead-sony-9657808

http://www.fiercecable.com/cable/3d-tv-officially-dead-as-sony-and-lg-stop-making-sets

It seems like only a few short years ago that everyone was saying 3D TV would be the next big thing in home entertainment.

Now the final nail has been hammered in its coffin, with the news that the only two major TV makers still making 3D TVs will drop support in 2017.

In some ways this is a shame, because I'm sure 3D tech is going to get a lot better. Maybe it will make a resurgence when the tech is better, like VR.

F#$k timezone programming. Use UTC! (See XKCD #1883)

PC Specs:

Ryzen 5900x, MSI 3070Ti, 2 x 1 TiB SSDs, 32 GB 3400 DDR4, Cooler Master NR200P

2 minutes ago, Qub3d said:

In some ways this is a shame, because I'm sure 3D tech is going to get a lot better. Maybe it will make a resurgence when the tech is better, like VR.

3D was and always will be trash for movies. It doesn't add anything but it does cause problems. 

For VR, 3D could make sense. But not for movies. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

I kinda like my 3D TV. Sure its not perfect but it was fine for me. I guess most people didn't see it that way.

For gaming, 3D isn't good, for movies, yes.

The geek himself.

What a shame. 3D, when done right, was just amazing. Transformers 3, for all the crap it was, the base jumping scenes in 3D were epic. Life of Pi in 3D was also amazing. 3D really, pardon the pun, gave an extra dimension to movies. However, it had to be done right. None of that gimmicky out of screen crap; and no old school 2D forced out of focus scenes.

Then again, where to get any content? Few and very expensive 3D movies. Most of which were crappy post-production fake 3D. And even worse, now with 4K HDR blu rays, there's not enough bandwidth or capacity to also have 3D (let alone 48/60fps). What a joke. You want Life of Pi in 3D or 4K HDR? You can't have both, because obsolete optical media.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

21 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

For gaming, 3D isn't good, for movies, yes.

go play BF3, driving a tank with 3D on... sickest shit ever! That game, even if not designed for 3D, is made in such a way that you get a much better sense of depth

Don't care much personally. Rarely anything was good in 3D and if I go watch a movie in cinema I prefer 2D anyway. 

| Ryzen 7 7800X3D | AM5 B650 Aorus Elite AX | G.Skill Trident Z5 Neo RGB DDR5 32GB 6000MHz C30 | Sapphire PULSE Radeon RX 7900 XTX | Samsung 990 PRO 1TB with heatsink | Arctic Liquid Freezer II 360 | Seasonic Focus GX-850 | Lian Li Lanccool III | Mousepad: Skypad 3.0 XL / Zowie GTF-X | Mouse: Zowie S1-C | Keyboard: Ducky One 3 TKL (Cherry MX-Speed-Silver)Beyerdynamic MMX 300 (2nd Gen) | Acer XV272U | OS: Windows 11 |

LG wasn't advertising 3D feature on their OLEDs the last two years, so it's not much of a surprise they dropped the support. 

And I don't think this comes at a surprise for most TV consumers.

1 hour ago, Notional said:

You want Life of Pi in 3D or 4K HDR? You can't have both, because obsolete optical media.

To be fair to optical media, streaming can't do what Blurays can at 4K. And we are a long way off many people being able to stream enough data for 4K HDR in a quality that can match HDR Bluray, let alone 3d, 4K and HDR all at the same time. Optical media will be the way people who want the best possible quality buy films for some years yet.

3 minutes ago, Monkey Dust said:

To be fair to optical media, streaming can't do what Blurays can at 4K. And we are a long way off many people being able to stream enough data for 4K HDR in a quality that can match HDR Bluray, let alone 3d, 4K and HDR all at the same time. Optical media will be the way people who want the best possible quality buy films for some years yet.

Well 4K HDR BD's has a max bitrate of 108Mbps. So yeah, it takes a pretty massive internet connection, or a big cache drive of up to 66-100GB per movie (2D). But it IS possible. However, streaming has the upside of being able to use more up to date codecs.

Watching Intel have competition is like watching a headless chicken trying to get out of a mine field

CPU: Intel I7 4790K@4.6 with NZXT X31 AIO; MOTHERBOARD: ASUS Z97 Maximus VII Ranger; RAM: 8 GB Kingston HyperX 1600 DDR3; GFX: ASUS R9 290 4GB; CASE: Lian Li v700wx; STORAGE: Corsair Force 3 120GB SSD; Samsung 850 500GB SSD; Various old Seagates; PSU: Corsair RM650; MONITOR: 2x 20" Dell IPS; KEYBOARD/MOUSE: Logitech K810/ MX Master; OS: Windows 10 Pro

Most high-end TV consumers don't care about 3D anyway. I'm one of them and the only Blu-ray I found interesting in 3D (interesting, not breathtaking) was Avatar. I know I'm harsh as 3D appreciation greatly depends on how people can process it, but there was too little people who really enjoyed/could fully process 3D for it to be a real selling point.

Glad manufacturers are moving on, and I hope HDR is worth an upgrade of my old LG.

[Insert smart comment here]