Looking for a mid-range sleek workbook/ultra

Hey all,

Trying to look for a decent laptop that will be used primarily for anything. Mostly for day-to-day, but I like to virtualize stuff sometimes for whims or curiosity, so an i7 is definitely needed. Not really going to be used for gaming, I may do the occasional game of league of legends, emulation or something similar, but nothing witcher 3 level. Most importantly I'd like something that has a good build to it, a metal body is preferred, doesn't have to be the thinnest in the world but nothing bulky. Lastly, a good screen would be great. This is rather open-ended but every time I search I always tend to wanna' veer into a gaming type of book, which I don't really want. Any suggestions? Budget is anywhere between 1100 to 1600, I'm flexible on that.

I think that the Razer blade Stealth could be a great option for you. It don't have a graphics card on it but if you don't want to do hardcore gaming will be fine, and if ever you need it you can always use the razer core. Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Stealth-Touchscreen-Ultrabook-Generation/dp/B01CA0JIZ0

And if you want more graphics power go for the razer blade itself, it's expensive but you can buy the last generation ones, that are still powerful and don't cost as much as the newer generation ones. 

:)

5 minutes ago, RUWO_builder said:

I7 is just a name. It can be a 2 GHz dual core. The Dell xps 13/15 seems like a good option

Interested in i7 for hyperthreading, I do some GNS3/vmware scenarios sometimes.

9 minutes ago, uriv1999 said:

I think that the Razer blade Stealth could be a great option for you. It don't have a graphics card on it but if you don't want to do hardcore gaming will be fine, and if ever you need it you can always use the razer core. Here's the link: https://www.amazon.com/Razer-Stealth-Touchscreen-Ultrabook-Generation/dp/B01CA0JIZ0

And if you want more graphics power go for the razer blade itself, it's expensive but you can buy the last generation ones, that are still powerful and don't cost as much as the newer generation ones. 

:)

Hey, thanks. I was considering the blade stealth but I keep reading about them running into problems sometimes. Is there any word if they're going to refresh those for Kaby Lake?

3 minutes ago, cekuro said:

Hey, thanks. I was considering the blade stealth but I keep reading about them running into problems sometimes. Is there any word if they're going to refresh those for Kaby Lake?

I don´t know, i supouse that they'll upgrade them, it's logic, i think! 

39 minutes ago, uriv1999 said:

snip

RBS is shit. Bezels are shit, temps are shit, qc is shit, support is shit. Can't even keep a 15w CPU cool. @cekuro yes they are updating the entire blade line to Kaby Lake in the coming months. 

36 minutes ago, cekuro said:

Interested in i7 for hyperthreading, I do some GNS3/vmware scenarios sometimes.

There are very very different i7s in the mobile world. There are the U series i7, essentially a duo core CPU with HT (literally worse than an i3 on the desktop scheme), or actual quad cores with HT, the HQ, HK series. 

Maybe consider an E5480. It's the smallest laptop with a quad core in the business line ups and it doesn't have a dGPU. HD630 is more than enough to run whatever you need to like LOL. If you need a little boost it offers the 930M. (The 930m version has TB3)

Otherwise pick up a second hand Thinkpad like the T460p series or T460s series for thinness. 

Laptop Main

(Retired) Zbook 15: i7-6820HQ, M2000M, 32gb, 512gb SSD + 2tb HDD, 4k Dreamcolor

(Retired) Alienware 15 R3: i7-6820HK, GTX1070, 16gb, 512 SSD + 1tb HDD, 1080p

(Retired) T560: i7-6600U, HD520, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1620p

(Retired) P650RS: i7-6820HK, 1070, 16gb, 512gb + 1tb HDD, 4k Samsung PLS

(Retired) MBP 2012 Retina: i7-3820QM, GT650M, 16gb, 512gb SSD, 1800p