Why is there a "sillicon lottery"

delet my acc pls

If you watch this picture, cores in a middle of the plate perform the best. In Intel case, center parts will be i7's and outer parts will be pentimums. (same applies to AMD)

post-2255-0-77706500-1383674713_thumb.jp

The simple fact that the technology required to ensure that every single piece of silicon produced can perform at the same, certified level for it's entire lifetime is near impossible to reach given the current state of advancement. (and the whole thing about wafer / die size schtuff. :P)

Folding@Home | BOINC

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X + Celsius S36 GPU: ASUS TUF RTX3080 

MB: ASRock x470 Taichi RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-2666 32GB 

CASE: Fractal Design Define 7 Panda STORAGE: WD Black SN770 2TB + WD Red Pro 6TB

CPU/GPUs are cut from a disc of silicon. This disc is better towards the middle than towards the outside. An i7 4770K and a Pentium G3220 are the same chip. But, the G3220 came from the outer edge while the i7 4770K came from the center.

Main Rig: CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) KLEVV CRAS XR RGB DDR4-3600 | Motherboard: Gigabyte B550I AORUS PRO AX | Storage: 512GB SKHynix PC401, 1TB Samsung 970 EVO Plus, 2x Micron 1100 256GB SATA SSDs | GPU: EVGA RTX 3080 FTW3 Ultra 10GB | Cooling: ThermalTake Floe 280mm w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 3 | Case: Sliger SM580 (Black) | PSU: Lian Li SP 850W

Server: CPU: AMD Ryzen 3 3100 | RAM: 32GB (2x16GB) Crucial DDR4 Pro | Motherboard: ASUS PRIME B550-PLUS AC-HES | Storage: 128GB Samsung PM961, 4TB Seagate IronWolf | GPU: AMD FirePro WX 3100 | Cooling: EK-AIO Elite 360 D-RGB | Case: Corsair 5000D Airflow (White) | PSU: Seasonic Focus GM-850

Miscellaneous: Dell Optiplex 7060 Micro (i5-8500T/16GB/512GB), Lenovo ThinkCentre M715q Tiny (R5 2400GE/16GB/256GB), Dell Optiplex 7040 SFF (i5-6400/8GB/128GB)

wafer

I know that lol, I had a brain fart for a minute and almost typed waffle so I just desribed it as a disk lol.

So pretty much the center of the wafer is your xeons and i7's middle is your i5's and i3's near the end is your pentium's itaniums and celerons 

#KilledMyWife 

LTT's Resident Black Star

I should get an award for still being here at this point 

Wouldn't it make logical sense for them to make it square instead of a circle..?

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790k @ 4.7 1.3v  with a Corsair H80 w/Dual SP120s - Motherboard: MSI Z97 gaming 5 - RAM: 4x4 G.Skill Ripjaws X @ 1600 - GPU: Dual PowerColour R9 290- SSD: Samsung NVME SM951 256GB-- PSU: Corsair RM 1000  - Case: NZXT H440 Black/red - Keyboard: Coolermaster CM storm Quickfire TK, Cherry MX blues - Mouse: Logitech G502 - Heaphones: Beyerdynamic DT 770 - Monitors: 3x VE248H Eyefinity 1080P -  Phone: iPhone 6S Plus               Please post your specifications in your post, signature or even better, system page on your profile!

I know that lol, I had a brain fart for a minute and almost typed waffle so I just desribed it as a disk lol.

So pretty much the center of the wafer is your xeons and i7's middle is your i5's and i3's near the end is your pentium's itaniums and celerons 

hmm... Waffles :) I thought itaniums are based on a completely different architecture, I would imagine they are produced on different wafers.

Wouldn't it make logical sense for them to make it square instead of a circle..?

I was thinking the same thing :P

Well if some of the worlds best engineers haven't done it already then I don't think so. But I see why you would think that and I also wonder why.

| 5820k+EK supremacy nickel+acetal white 4.5Ghz | X99 Deluxe | Enthoo Luxe | 2x gtx780+komod NV full cover block | Corsair AX1200i | WD blue 500gb |

Kingston V300 120gb | Samsung 840 Evo 500gb| Bitspower D5 vario+Res combo | primochill advanced LRT tubing (Solid White) |

| Alphacool Nexxos MONSTA dual 120mm Black Ice nemesis GTX360 triple 120mm | Noctua NF-F12 X4 | Bitspower true silver 1/2ID 3/4 OD compressions (various angles) |

The key thing to grasp aside from all the wafer stuff is that Intel's fabrication guys don't sit there and go "hmm, let's make a batch of 4770ks today". What they actually say is "let's make a bunch of 20nm CPUs today and see what we get".

Those CPUs with a fully functional iGPU, all 4 cores working at 3.5Ghz (with 1 boosting to 3.9Ghz) and able to perform hyperthreading without losing stability or requiring a higher voltage will be labelled the i7s, but even among those there is some variation. Some will be able to go as high as 5Ghz just fine, some will barely make it past 4.0Ghz. THAT is where the wafer distance thing really comes into play.

Sometimes all 4 cores work but cannot drive 8 threads; those are your i5s. Sometimes 1 or 2 cores are non-functional, those are your i3s. Those which have cores which work but can't perform the right speeds at the right voltages becomes your celerons and pentiums.

In simple terms, CPU manufacture is not an exact science, and so the product reflects this.

No, they can't use a square base because a disc can be created by spinning a bit of liquified silicon with a consistent pattern going a full 360. Can't be done with a square.

"Say it, do it, preach it, shout it, but never, absolutely never, believe your own bullshit"   

Credited with the whole female avatar trend

Your thoughts here http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/67178-your-top-three/

they should make 1/2 core celerons from the outside one's that aren't complete to put in pre built pc's in best buy!  :lol:

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

The syrup makes the waffle taste the best in the middle!

[ Cruel Angel ]:     Exterior  -   BENQ XL2420T   |   SteelSeries MLG Sensei   |   Corsair K70 RED   |   Corsair 900D  |                                                                                                    CPU:    -   4.7Ghz @ 1.425v             |

Interior    -   i7 4770k   |    Maximus VI Formula    |   Corsair Vengeance Pro 16GB    |   ASUS GTX 980 Strix SLIx2  |  840 Pro 512Gb    |    WD Black 2TB  |           RAM:   -   2400Mhz OC @ 1.650v    |

Cooling   -   XSPC 120mm x7 Total Radiator Space   |   XSPC RayStorm    |    PrimoChill Tubing/Res  |                                                                                             GPU:   -   1000Mhz @ 1.158            |

they should make 1/2 core celerons from the outside one's that aren't complete to put in pre built pc's in best buy!  :lol:

The intel celeron mini clocked at a whopping 600mhz

The intel celeron mini clocked at a whopping 600mhz

yes  :)  for buying such a bad pc they deserve that kind of performance. 

Rig Specs:

AMD Threadripper 5990WX@4.8Ghz

Asus Zenith III Extreme

Asrock OC Formula 7970XTX Quadfire

G.Skill Ripheartout X OC 7000Mhz C28 DDR5 4X16GB  

Super Flower Power Leadex 2000W Psu's X2

Harrynowl's 775/771 OC and mod guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/232325-lga775-core2duo-core2quad-overclocking-guide/ http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/365998-mod-lga771-to-lga775-cpu-modification-tutorial/

ProKoN haswell/DC OC guide: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/41234-intel-haswell-4670k-4770k-overclocking-guide/

"desperate for just a bit more money to watercool, the titan x would be thankful" Carter -2016

I think SMURG summed up the binning process best.

But you might say, well why don't all 4770Ks overclock the same if they're binned to the same level?

Well, devices aren't exact.  All the transistors and other devices inside the chip operate within certain tolerances.  At stock clocks you won't see a performance difference between chips because they're within the specification, but when you start pushing chips out of spec, different chips will deal with that differently.  Variances in circuit delays and voltage thresholds and such will cause some chips to fail before others when pushed to higher heat and voltage levels.  It's simply a consequence of the manufacturing process not being perfect.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Itaniums, if they are the shit at the end of the wafer, why are they so expensive?

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Because wafers. The middle is like the jackpot. RIRytGml.jpg

I'd agree with that *yum :)

DESKTOP - Motherboard - Gigabyte GA-Z77X-D3H Processor - Intel Core i5-2500K @ Stock 1.135v Cooling - Cooler Master Hyper TX3 RAM - Kingston Hyper-X Fury White 4x4GB DDR3-1866 Graphics Card - MSI GeForce GTX 780 Lightning PSU - Seasonic M12II EVO Edition 850w  HDD -  WD Caviar  Blue 500GB (Boot Drive)  /  WD Scorpio Black 750GB (Games Storage) / WD Green 2TB (Main Storage) Case - Cooler Master 335U Elite OS - Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate

Itaniums, if they are the shit at the end of the wafer, why are they so expensive?

Itanium isn't a tier of x86 chip; Intel's Itanium is a totally different CPU architecture.  I think Lil Chillbil just got mixed up with the names.

Intel Core i7-7700K | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FTW | ASUS ROG Strix Z270G Gaming | 32GB G-Skill TridentZ RGB DDR4-3200 | Corsair AX860i

Cooler Master MasterCase Pro 3 Samsung 950 Pro 256GB | Samsung 850 Evo 1TB | EKWB Custom Loop | Noctua NF-F12(x4)/NF-A14 LTT Special Edition

Dell S2716DGR | Corsair K95 RGB Platinum (Cherry MX Brown) | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | FiiO E17 DAC/Amp | Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro

Itanium isn't a tier of x86 chip; Intel's Itanium is a totally different CPU architecture.  I think Lil Chillbil just got mixed up with the names.

That's what I was thinking, and yea probably lol

If you watch this picture, cores in a middle of the plate perform the best. In Intel case, center parts will be i7's and outer parts will be pentimums. (same applies to AMD)

attachicon.gif01051248-photo-wafer-nehalem.jpg

Man, someone out there got the middle chip, unbeknownst to themselves. Lucky person whoever they were.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

I don't get why the middle chips are the fastest (or best, or whatever). What's the relation between radial distance and quality ? Is the silicon disc purest in the middle ? Why aren't they making discs of the same grade all over ?

Spoiler