Powder Coating

Vanderburg

I have a couple of questions regarding this. I'm still looking for a company near me that does this, but should I expect any decent company to be able to do any of the prep work, as far as anything the case needs in order to be able to accept the paint (stripping, etc)? Also, I've seen some conflicting information from Google, so does aluminum actually need to have something special done to it (de-anodized)? Does the case even have to be stripped, or does that just make it not get so thick you can't put it back together? I'm personally going to be using a TJ07, so while any information is helpful information regarding this type of case would be more useful.

Also, if it's a company that does mostly large work and I'd be expected to pay the minimum cost, because my job is too small, would I expect to pay the minimum cost for each color, if the case is to be two-tone? (Is each color it's own job?)

myself, I'm a car nut and it really doesn't take much to do a powder coating setup and I've seen a lot of backyard setups for powdercoating.

I'd sign up onto some local car forums and shoot questions there, they might know someone who does it inexpensively. you're not going to save money because its a small job mixing the color loading the gun and prep and cooking takes time and the savings based on material used is not as significant. you'll save money on doing a batch job with a lot of small items shot with the same color.

I know I've seen Al coated with color but I don't recall ever reading that they needed to do something extra to do it. as long as you can send a charge through it, it should be fine

It's not really about saving money so much as knowing what to expect. (And I definitely don't want to do it myself) If I know going into it to expect to spend $300 on the process, I can prepare myself for that, but if I think maybe I'll get away with $100 and THEN find out at the last minute that it's $300... that's what I want to avoid.

The aluminum on the case isn't anodized it's painted or powdercoated, so it needs to be sandblasted to remove the paint, in order for you to powdercoat it again

generally, the surface has to be raw, clean and all the part modding done. then a 50-80grit blast to burnish

the metal, degreaser and then washed. once dried, the part is charged electrically and the paint "clings" to

the part. now it has to be baked to solidify and bond.

so a couple of details most wont say.. will the metal you are power coating take the 300°+ heat, without warping,

distorting, or being destroyed? if its super thin and flimsy.. paint is a lovely way to go.

a simple case chassis and panels can run $45-$75 depending on shop owner and quality.

airdeano

Yeah, the case is all aluminum and decently thick. I haven't had it in hand yet, but it looks pretty durable.

go to a car shop, they have their ways of painting metal.

"People assume that time is a strict progression of cause to effect. But actually from a non-linear, non-subjective viewpoint, it's more like a big ball of wibbly wobbly timey wimey stuff."

Dont understimate my skillsz, you might look foolish.

The shop will usually strip it for you as they use acids to eat through paint in about an hour. Ask ahead of time though, cuz it may be a small shop. As for doing it yourself. It is not cheap, but rather easy. To Powder coat your size case you would have to purchase an industrial or XL kitchen model oven and put it outside. Do no use your home oven! I Live in CA and the usual price I am quoted when I take cases is anywhere from 150-220. But that is for one color usually black. Two or three colors will cost more. Each shop will have different colors also. So take your time and pick, ask to see finished products using that color.

do not sandblast! it can easily warp your metal. you need a plastic medium. as for removing ano you can use a lye bath to take off the colored aluminum oxide.